Game Day Around The Grounds Rounds 11 - 15

Remove this Banner Ad

the timing is always plausible, but the cake never cooks itself
Ideal world for me is not Lyon and Lepistsch, but Chocko and Caracella.

Williams has been involved with finals teams pretty much since 2004, and Caracella has gone from flags at Richmond to turning round Essendon via rethinking contested possession and ball movement.

Ideal world for me is not Lyon and Lepistsch, but Chocko and Caracella.

Williams has been involved with finals teams pretty much since 2004, and Caracella has gone from flags at Richmond to turning round Essendon via rethinking contested possession and ball movement.
I gather we have many layers of problems/issues. It's been that way for a while. Culture has not developed, and we have no "red line" standard.
Unless someone has the patience of Cesar Millan, to reprogram these players, it'll get worse.
Choc, might lose his block, de-horsing this lot, Caracalla , I don't know enough about

I gather we have many layers of problems/issues. It's been that way for a while. Culture has not developed, and we have no "red line" standard.
Unless someone has the patience of Cesar Millan, to reprogram these players, it'll get worse.
Choc, might lose his block, de-horsing this lot, Caracalla , I don't know enough about
Richmond put their change between 2016 and 17 down to Balme off-field - sorting them out mentally, getting them sacrificing for each other onfield - and Caracella essentially identified the list direction and developed their gameplan almost on the fly as 2017 happened. It's why they went from close wins and losses in early 2017 - including 3 by less than 5 points - to pulverizing opposition late in the year.

He's a ball movement dude. Compare how stagnant Essendon looked under Worsfold with Rutten as senior assistant to how they're looking now; defense is still a thing they're doing, but their attacking play is awesome. That's Caracella.

Richmond put their change between 2016 and 17 down to Balme off-field - sorting them out mentally, getting them sacrificing for each other onfield - and Caracella essentially identified the list direction and developed their gameplan almost on the fly as 2017 happened. It's why they went from close wins and losses in early 2017 - including 3 by less than 5 points - to pulverizing opposition late in the year.

He's a ball movement dude. Compare how stagnant Essendon looked under Worsfold with Rutten as senior assistant to how they're looking now; defense is still a thing they're doing, but their attacking play is awesome. That's Caracella.
Good Correlation you make. As I said earlier, I don't know much about him, other than what you point out, being an instrumental part of the development of these 2 clubs.
Massive step from top-line assistant to senior coach, especially at our club. Not sure he'd want to come, now he's part of something at his original club. If bombers rise, he'll be a hot ticket. We've burnt two competent assistants now, Bolton and Teague. Do we look attractive to Blake?

Good Correlation you make. As I said earlier, I don't know much about him, other than what you point out, being an instrumental part of the development of these 2 clubs.
Massive step from top-line assistant to senior coach, especially at our club. Not sure he'd want to come, now he's part of something at his original club. If bombers rise, he'll be a hot ticket. We've burnt two competent assistants now, Bolton and Teague. Do we look attractive to Blake?
You misunderstand. I don't want Caracella as coach, I want Williams as coach, with Caracella as senior assistant.

Approach someone like Neil Craig - and, you know, pay him enough to keep him from ******* off - to be GM of football. Then, you've got a coach who has won a premiership with a similar structured playing list, an innovative assistant coach who's played a part in developing the last premiership dynasty, and a GM of footy who ran a football department that was top 4 and never bottomed out for almost 10 years.

You misunderstand. I don't want Caracella as coach, I want Williams as coach, with Caracella as senior assistant.

Approach someone like Neil Craig - and, you know, pay him enough to keep him from ******* off - to be GM of football. Then, you've got a coach who has won a premiership with a similar structured playing list, an innovative assistant coach who's played a part in developing the last premiership dynasty, and a GM of footy who ran a football department that was top 4 and never bottomed out for almost 10 years.
I don't think Blake will come as an assistant, he already is one for a club that's on the move. Why would he come to ours? regardless of who's the senior coach. His name has been thrown up in the past when vacancies have come up, as an outsider. Success/growth at the bomber will move him to the top of the list. He is a coach in waiting, competing with the likes of Voss and Mitchell.

I don't think Blake will come as an assistant, he already is one for a club that's on the move. Why would he come to ours? regardless of who's the senior coach. His name has been thrown up in the past when vacancies have come up, as an outsider. Success/growth at the bomber will move him to the top of the list. He is a coach in waiting, competing with the likes of Voss and Mitchell.
I get that, it's why I'd be willing to give him a wage to match the head coach.

The way you sell it is, do you really want to take the risk and become the bloke who the spotlight's on, or do you want to make the same cash without the pressure?

Thing is, there's a number of top line coaches who will, in all probability, never be head coaches. Matt Scarlett's Geelong's backline coach, and he's never leaving or becoming a head coach. Ratts should never have done it, and after St Kilda turf him he'll go back to what he does best and coach a midfield somewhere to good effect.

Being a head coach is a s**t sandwich, and while taking the chair is the goal of an awful lot of people it's also a recipe for more pressure than the majority of people can deal with. Think the next person we go for needs to have been there and done it over someone untried.

I get that, it's why I'd be willing to give him a wage to match the head coach.

The way you sell it is, do you really want to take the risk and become the bloke who the spotlight's on, or do you want to make the same cash without the pressure?

Thing is, there's a number of top line coaches who will, in all probability, never be head coaches. Matt Scarlett's Geelong's backline coach, and he's never leaving or becoming a head coach. Ratts should never have done it, and after St Kilda turf him he'll go back to what he does best and coach a midfield somewhere to good effect.

Being a head coach is a sh*t sandwich, and while taking the chair is the goal of an awful lot of people it's also a recipe for more pressure than the majority of people can deal with. Think the next person we go for needs to have been there and done it over someone untried.
From a Carlton person perspective, you can be forgiven to strategize this way. There's prestige being a "premiership coach", or even a successful one for that matter, as there would be being a "premiership player" its legacy, immortality long after the money is gone.

If it were about cash only, Harry may have left, as would Cripps. The caveat here is, they know what's cooking, we don't.
I want an experienced coach that brings discipline, structure, and will drop and promote without a second thought. Preferably one, that burns for a flag as much as we do. Lyon knows, a three-year stint will make him or break him in a football dept. Many think he's already beyond this point, and I think being a commentator is more his go, as I find him insightful on the run. If he coaches, it will only be in Melbourne.

Interesting times. Its just a question of when the incumbent goes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back