Game Day Around The Grounds Rounds 14 - 18: aka "The Run Home"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, OKC Thunder
The one game I was really ticked off about losing this year was the game against Melbourne, I saw it as a totally wasted opportunity. It looks like it could prove to be very costly. I know there's been other games we could've won too but that one really got under my skin.
Melbourne, Hawthorn, GWS...

Rank them however, we should’ve won at least 2 of them...

passmark

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
The one game I was really ticked off about losing this year was the game against Melbourne, I saw it as a totally wasted opportunity. It looks like it could prove to be very costly. I know there's been other games we could've won too but that one really got under my skin.

The one that irked me was the Hawks game, because I was there.

The Port game was a bit different in that we took it right up to what is still the best performed team in the competition. With the Melbourne game I just thought they were the type of team we just had to beat . I guess Hawthorn was much the same too.

Looking on the bright side, isn't it great to be invested in the results this late into the season? It's been a few years since that was the case for us,

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
86 points.
Pfft. ;)
Show your workings or back to your stable

Gap to Melbourne (8th): Carl need to score 86 points
Gap to GWS Giants (9th): Carl need to score 34 points
Gap to W Bulldogs (10th): Carl need to score 31 points or Haw to score 33 points
We score 100 and Crows 14, we win by 86 points and have worse percentage than Melbourne.

Melbourne1632106.2880995937

Carlton1632106.18801000942

No hay for you, for at least 24 hours.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
As sharks on a plane pointed out, we also need the Dogs to lose a game too.

It's still possible for us to play finals, but its extremely unlikely.

I can’t believe that anyone who checks the ladder before every round didn’t know that and thought we only needed GWS to lose. Melbourne were also on 32 points.

Last edited:
We score 100 and Crows 14, we win by 86 points and have worse percentage than Melbourne.

Melbourne1632106.2880995937

Carlton1632106.18801000942

No hay for you, for at least 24 hours.
My source is Live Ladders.
Copy and paste job.
(And hours of numerical fact checking of course) :D
How much do you figure we need F.F.?

Exactly - there are essentially 2 positions up for grabs and 5 teams including us vying for them, and with our % you'd say that realistically any team that gets to 36 points has us covered.

I don't understand how people think that GWS winning tonight & therefore claiming one of those 2 positions helps us - given that the other place will almost certainly be claimed by either WB or Collingwood over the next 48 hours.
Fair to say this is not an area of strength for humble horsie.
I defer to wiser heads who in this instance could not agree.
Game at a time I guess.

OK let me rephrase what I said, I don't like the fact that we're relying on multiple teams to win or lose so we have a chance of making finals.

I would obviously love to see us playing in Week 1 of finals, I'd just prefer if we had won games we could and probably should have won and were sitting comfortably in the 8.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well yeah.
All of us would.
But this is all we have left for this season.
Slim Hope.
I'm taking it.
More fun!

Copy and paste job.

It's not exactly how much we need but for the values of the for and against.
Roughly speaking we need about 90 points difference in what may be considered to be an average game .

If we win 110 points to 23 points, we just edge Melbourne out.

...and we won't make finals. It's about a 20:1 shot.

It's not exactly how much we need but for the values of the for and against.
Roughly speaking we need about 90 points difference in what may be considered to be an average game .

If we win 110 points to 23 points, we just edge Melbourne out.

...and we won't make finals. It's about a 20:1 shot.
Ok. Well let's aim to at least get a good percentage on Doggies for now.
Achievable.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Copy and paste job.
Your source should be your own maths working. hence your flaw.
I figure we need to go back in time and beat Hawks, Dees, Port, GWS and Pies and we already made it

RedFury

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
It's not that hard to understand. Their percentage is very similar to ours.

If they go to 36 and lose to Saints next week, we can overtake them by winning both our games and with a small percentage boost.

To add to this, Melbourne would have been eliminated with a Giants win. But with their much better percentage and a very likely win against *, will now be uncatchable for us.

I see your point but in the end I think it comes down to difference of opinion on likelihood of results. With the way we have played all year I think it's unlikely we catch anyone else's percentage, although I do concede it's a small margin, and think our best chance is if as many teams as possible stay below that 9 wins.

I also think that any result is possible in any round this year, and Melbourne have been shown time and time again to be a very flaky side. Them crumbling to * is just as likely as GWS suddenly turning around and schooling the Saints imo.

You've probably made me realize that a GWS win wouldn't have been as bad as I thought, but a Melbourne win is also not as bad as some of you are making out.

But either way our chances are so low and are relying on so many other unlikely results that we're probably both wasting our time even talking about it. :p

Last edited:
Have to agree. Be yourself. I don't understand why she feels like she has to yell all the time.
centuries of conditioning - fit in as a bloke or struggle...........she's as brave as they come and a genuine pioneer.........hope she makes it........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back