Game Day Around The Grounds - The Prelims 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Bailey Smith is more articulate than I realised. Pretty boy that can talk proper-like. Boy has a media career if he wants it.

Hope it's a close one.
The contrast of Demons back in running with same three guns in midfield of Viney, Petracca and Oliver and proper gun rucks v Dogs that have deepest pool of quality midfielders and coach does not really believe in rucks. Going to be really interesting. Looking forward to how it plays out.

12 goals - there's one I missed..........

10 goals v Eagles in Perth 1996 (after they'd beaten us by 10 goals there in Round 22 as well). Onto Brisbane the next week, Kernahan put us in front midway through Q2, but the Bears snuck home by 16 goals.

I think it was 83 points to Brisbane in 1999.

I don't want to play this game any more...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If not for Dora and my Carlton mad mother's side of the family I'd be a Bulldogs fan. Fond memories of Mum helping the Dogs get the Dog's Care for Kids (in school education program) program get off the ground.

Our school doing the Aussie Sports program in Braybrook where Doug Hawkins worked when he tore his hammy and Mum being the big footy fan she was refused to ler him run her classes so got him to sit and direct her from the sidelines.

Then when he worked at Sportsco at Altona Gate (Rod Grinter and a couple others worked there too) he'd run out of the store yellijng "Teacher!" when he saw us going to kmart and give her a massive hug.

Inbetween all that when Doug broke Teddy's record for games played at the Dogs I remember being a naive kid and laughing at Doug for crying. Dad was a WW2 victim and emotionally cold, rarely showing emotion.

Mum took me into SportsCo after school one day the next week and sat me down with Doug. She made me ask Doug why he cried and tell him what I thought. He spent the next 15 minutes explaining why it was acceptable and normal for man to cry.

I remember my school and all of the people rallying for the Footscray Fightback campaign as every school did in the western suburbs and so many Westies did out in the community.

So yeah, when the Dogs do something like they did tonight there's a big part of me that is bloody proud and happy of the Dogs.

Regardless of who your natural team is if you were born and raised in the west there's a part of you in the Dogs today.

Congrats Footscray. What a sweet night for the mighty west.

Well the AFL just saved a s**t load of money on colored balloons for the grand final

If not for Dora and my Carlton mad mother's side of the family I'd be a Bulldogs fan. Fond memories of Mum helping the Dogs get the Dog's Care for Kids (in school education program) program get off the ground.

Our school doing the Aussie Sports program in Braybrook where Doug Hawkins worked when he tore his hammy and Mum being the big footy fan she was refused to ler him run her classes so got him to sit and direct her from the sidelines.

Then when he worked at Sportsco at Altona Gate (Rod Grinter and a couple others worked there too) he'd run out of the store yellijng "Teacher!" when he saw us going to kmart and give her a massive hug.

Inbetween all that when Doug broke Teddy's record for games played at the Dogs I remember being a naive kid and laughing at Doug for crying. Dad was a WW2 victim and emotionally cold, rarely showing emotion.

Mum took me into SportsCo after school one day the next week and sat me down with Doug. She made me ask Doug why he cried and tell him what I thought. He spent the next 15 minutes explaining why it was acceptable and normal for man to cry.

I remember my school and all of the people rallying for the Footscray Fightback campaign as every school did in the western suburbs and so many Westies did out in the community.

So yeah, when the Dogs do something like they did tonight there's a big part of me that is bloody proud and happy of the Dogs.

Regardless of who your natural team is if you were born and raised in the west there's a part of you in the Dogs today.

Good story mate, Doug was working on a site I was doing some work at a few years ago, he asked me and my work mate to move our car, when he walked off, I nudged the apprentice, what a legend I said, he just stared at me, who he says, Dougie I told him, who’s Dougie.

I’m not even 10 years older than this guy, couldn’t believe it.

My mates in the west are super pumped today, as a neutral I’ll be sad for whoever loses this one.

Red hot favourites Port get thrashed at their home ground.

Time to stand up Kane Cornes and call them out on such an insipid performance. His three love-children - Rozee, Butters & Duursma were timid and had no impact.

Think people don't understand dogs defence -- they protect 40 metres form goal better than anyone and the mids make sure you can't run .. simple game plan stands up --
Spot on..
Also..
We hardly get the close, blockbuster GF all of us crave for, most years it’s not the game we hoped for…
More expectation for a great game…

Wonderful stories. Thankyou for sharing. Brought a tear to my own eye.

Hard not to like Bevo, he said more in the 2 minute interview after the game than I've heard from any Carlton coach in a long time.

The main thing I take out of that is unity from the top down really matters and it's very important for players to all back each other, which sadly we haven't seen in recent years

Good story mate, Doug was working on a site I was doing some work at a few years ago, he asked me and my work mate to move our car, when he walked off, I nudged the apprentice, what a legend I said, he just stared at me, who he says, Dougie I told him, who’s Dougie.

I’m not even 10 years older than this guy, couldn’t believe it.

My mates in the west are super pumped today, as a neutral I’ll be sad for whoever loses this one.

I think you mean aksed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back