Game Day Around The Grounds - The Prelims 2021

Hard not to like Bevo, he said more in the 2 minute interview after the game than I've heard from any Carlton coach in a long time.

The main thing I take out of that is unity from the top down really matters and it's very important for players to all back each other, which sadly we haven't seen in recent years
pretty hard to talk about if it's not true.........

ajb72

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Port were better last year.

Kudos to Riley Bonnar who I thought was a dud. Only port player I would give a pass to.

Bulldogs kicking absolutely elite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Cats and Port Power surely end of road with current coaches?
Gone as far as they can with same coach for years and same results at finals time, not good enough.
I suspect Chris Scott himself will mutually agree with other leaders at Geelong that timing is right to let someone else take over there and agree on some time of pay out both parties content with.
Not sure how it plays out at Port Power as not sure contract of coaching staff there.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Cats and Port Power surely end of road with current coaches?
Gone as far as they can with same coach for years and same results at finals time, not good enough.
I suspect Chris Scott himself will mutually agree with other leaders at Geelong that timing is right to let someone else take over there and agree on some time of pay out both parties content with.
Not sure how it plays out at Port Power as not sure contract of coaching staff there.

Not that I disagree with you mate, but when was the last time a club parted ways with a coach after making a prelim final ?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Not that I disagree with you mate, but when was the last time a club parted ways with a coach after making a prelim final ?
****ed if I know. Many coaches leave when a team that been finals a number of times continue to fall short as a change is needed for players and coach themselves in such situations. Seen it at our club and seen it at many others. Does not matter if it prelim final, elim final or semi-final or even grand final, sometimes a change is just good for coach, players and clubs.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Yep but without that loss we wouldn't have played * in the preliminary. Worked out pretty well.
I agree but my sour memory of our big loss that night was I saw Michael Voss limping off on crutches at end of game and felt, oh my god, what a waste of a thrashing because I then felt Lions won easily but now ruined premiership hopes as their best player looked gone then. Given Dons and North were the teams to beat it felt like Lions without Voss was now dead man walking and they had just thrashed us but a lame duck now. So why did we endure pain of such a thrashing if the other team not going to go on with it? That is how it felt seeing him looking gone for them for me that night.
I guess no one knew the weird fun twist to follow.
We would surprisingly play our best football for season in next weekends and had fun of knocking out Eagles and then * so all worth it in the end.
Went to grand final hoping to win but not expecting to as we really only 6th best team for season so to get a double chance after losing by such a margin in first week of finals was like crazy ride to go on so losing grand final was not a bitter experience like it should feel if you think you one of best teams for season.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
239825184_10226796823774763_4134137945394577835_n.jpg

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

Ezayyak

Team Captain
May 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
10 goals v Eagles in Perth 1996 (after they'd beaten us by 10 goals there in Round 22 as well). Onto Brisbane the next week, Kernahan put us in front midway through Q2, but the Bears snuck home by 16 goals.

I think it was 83 points to Brisbane in 1999.

I don't want to play this game any more...
What always struck me was that Kouta was pretty much in our best 2 or 3 players in every final in those years. He was a big game player, Kouta.

Back