Game Day Around The Grounds - Week 2 - The Semis 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Replies to the AFL's latest score update tweet on twitter..

Bcpmp7U.png
David Loeser? Is that a troll account?

Cant stand the Pies win, but i dislike Tigers more than i dislike the Pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can you carry a spud like cox and be this deep in September
I'm going to start out with saying, I hate Collingwood. I have to say that, to ensure that the rest of what I'm about to say isn't misconstrued.

Cox is more or less the reason they won tonight. You do not win a game of football with a set of medium talls, without the marking power down the line to halt a set of intercept markers intent on taking the ball in flight and immediately flinging it down the other end, usually leading to a goal. If GWS have Shaw in, they go some of the way to beating Collingwood tonight, because while Davis and Haynes go okay they aren't quite good enough with ball in hand to be able to see not just the immediate disposal but the subsequent forward flurry that a good interceptor sees.

The counter to a set of good interceptors, and the matchwinners against a poor set, is a true KPF, one who either plays CHF and at least crashes the pack and allows the smalls to swoop on the thing, meaning that the high ball isn't the end of all offensive flurries, or a true FF who plays a mark/kick role and kicks all of the goals, the latter being the significantly harder to do. Cox satisfies two needs for them; he brings the ball to ground, when he's out of position or when he has the sit, either via a free kick (because, as we all know by now, umpires love awarding frees to blokes for being taller than their counterparts :laughing:. In all seriousness, though, being taller than your direct opponent leads to more frees being paid your way via chopping arms/holding/in the back interpretations in your favor) or via general play, or of course because you're taller they can't outmark you the entire time.

Call him a glorified amateur. Call him whatever you like. Just don't say he doesn't deserve to be there, because Cox has worked his arse off to become an AFL footballer, and he's defied people like you without losing what makes a person a decent human being. You see stories of him playing kick to kick with kids, after photo ops and after training, when he's too tired to run anymore, because he cares. I've seen him posing around my junior club's players, and he's a genuinely good human being.

Spud or not, current structures need a player like him, and it's a bit s**t for you to hate on him without actually comprehending what he does for Collingwood strategically. That they didn't deserve to win tonight doesn't diminish his influence over the result, either.

What's wrong with Melbourne winning?

All of these long-term shitty teams winning is good for our rise.
your right, but having to deal with demon supporters transferring the perennial looser tag onto Blues supporters is hard to accept. I would rather they get their hopes up and fail next week.

Well said, Gethelred and spot on as far as I'm concerned.

Gives me tremendous hope for Harry McKay who is an equally gifted athlete but a much more natural footballer.

your right, but having to deal with demon supporters transferring the perennial looser tag onto Blues supporters is hard to accept. I would rather they get their hopes up and fail next week.

There's a few clubs that they can pass on perennial loser tag to before us (e.g. St. Kilda and Essendon, who we've won more finals than since their last premiership).

However, the past few years the 'perennial loser' tag has been a gateway to a premiership in an AFL striving for 'equalization' across the board.

I don't do the cynical LOL, but you're kind of bringing it out in me with that post.

The Dees have a lot more winning to do before the monkey's off the back, and they've a lot more scoring to do before anyone truly believes they're a true contender. That with the list they've got and the forward 50 entries they produce they still only win games by 6 goals rather than 10-15 is truly a testament to their ability to fall over the finish line, rather than bury a beaten opponent.

And Richmond's not quite over Richmondy either. It's just been a while since a side challenged them sufficiently to make it happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back