Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
Erin Riley's air mattress
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's a pretty fun show. Think of a TV version of Nolan's Batman. Except instead of Batman you have the Green Arrow. Also seems to have elements of Dexter, because the main character investigates and often kills his victims/adversaries.

Similarities to Nolan's Batman include:

Main character is a white knight as well as a vigilante, although he takes on a playboy millionaire/fratboy persona, similar to Bruce Wayne.
Lawyer love interest who is in a relationship with his friend (Rachel Dawes/Harvey Dent)
There are also scenes reminiscent of the Batman movies, i.e. In the third episode we see him stitching himself up, similar to Wayne in TDK, we also see him welding and angle grinding just like Wayne in Batman Begins.
Bodyguard, personal assistant similar to Alfred I guess.
Nolan's non-linear storytelling, alternating between his current exploits and his training from years ago, just like Batman Begins.
He enlists the assistance of a police detective while keeping his identity secret (same as Gordon)

and so on and so forth.

In addition to fighting action scenes, there is some pretty cool parkour/free running action, which is a nice touch. 3 episodes in and he's not referred to as the Green Arrow, the cops call him "The Hood" because he wears a green hood and paint which hides his face.

Overall I'll give it an 8/10 at this stage. It has some weaknesses, including unnecessary exposition, and the best friend character is a lame wise-cracking wingman cliche that we have seen in so many films.

But overall it's pretty good, enjoy the positives, ignore the negatives.

• Banned
thought this was going to be a hunk of crap

its bloody great

right mix of comic book action and fun

the arc with the mum and the island is fantastic

Yes, I always thought the Green Arrow was kinda gay . . . but if they re-imagine the character based on this TV show I might have a look at the graphic novels.

Yes, I always thought the Green Arrow was kinda gay . . . but if they re-imagine the character based on this TV show I might have a look at the graphic novels.

yeah when i saw a bow and arrow i thought "well this will obviously suck" and i'm still not sure why he uses them but im not really asking that question anymore

You must read The Long Bow Hunters and Kevin Smith's Quiver!! You will see that Green Arrow has been cool for quite a while already. Also the Green Arrow and Green Lantern series from the 70's!!

Hey HP, I watched ep 1 a couple of weeks back, have not watched ep 2 and 3. Bit of a mix of Orange County pretty boys and girls and dexters perfect revenge and kill but with an arrow.

I'll catch up on the other episodes in the next week or so.

next episode looks like they'll reveal a bit more which i think they need to

cop was completely over the top in that episode

and Ollie maaate tone down the "Jason Gram you have brought the city of St kilda great shame" speeches

"sidekick" was a good addition

It's been good so far. The sister looked familiar and I couldn't figure out why (kept thinking of buffys sister), so checked out imdb and found out she was marissa's sister on oc. I'd like to the thank the casting agents for having the little sister played by a 21 yo, it makes me feel much less like a dirty old man:)

Going to give this a watch. Just watched the trailer and it reminded me of this...

(LOL I just noticed watching the above trailer. Flight23 do you know who the main character is?)

i watched the first couple of episodes of The Cape last year, it was really crap and i think it got cancelled

a really really bad version of The Arrow

The Cape was trained by carnival folk............................:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been good so far. The sister looked familiar and I couldn't figure out why (kept thinking of buffys sister), so checked out imdb and found out she was marissa's sister on oc. I'd like to the thank the casting agents for having the little sister played by a 21 yo, it makes me feel much less like a dirty old man:)

Notice Queen's friend went on about how hot she was . . . and she's 17 in the show. . . awkward.

Have now watched episodes 1-4. It's not terrible like revolution but its not a show i'd go out of my way to view. Something good to watch to fill in time.

In the first episode or two I couldn't get past the fact that the hood only covered a portion of his face and the fact that he didn't seem to change his voice very much. In the most recent episode his voice is changed but he sounds like Microsoft Sam.

The sister looks a lot like Alison Brie (Annie) from Community.

It does seem however, that the show isn't snail crawl slow and developments in the story occur quite frequently. The flashbacks to the island are also quite interesting I thought.

I don't see this progressing past a couple of seasons at best (although I wouldn't be upset to be proven wrong). They need to progress the story line with the mother and 'main villain' that we always see in the limo. Him hunting down random people and making them confess or w/e is already getting boring IMO.

The Cape was as corny as s**t but was a good time filler show, thought it was ok. Any show with Keith David or Vinnie Jones has to be half decent.

Early days of Smallville was unwatchable garbage, but once it went to SyFy the last few seasons were entertaining (very similar tone of comedy and drama comparable, but not on the same level of Supernatural)

Good to hear this isn't a snail crawl show, might give it a go.

Which network is it on and when? Cant seem to find anything, or is it download only?

Episode 5 is pretty good, plot points moving along at a nice pace, some hilariously bad dialogue is the only thing wrong with this show at the moment.

Like the island side story and the dude that rescued him is a bad ass. Pace is good too and the fighting coreography is top notch for a tv show. I see its coming to channel 9 next year but cant see it lasting long though, atleast on the main channel. Still needs a really hot woman to spice things up a bit, that plot with his ex could get boring unless they move it along. Reading her character profile from the comics they def have places to go.

Most of the show is pretty good I thought. But for me it really falls down when he has interaction with the 'bad guys'. Also the line "_____ you have failed this city" *que attack* has me cringing everytime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back