Arrows Bankrupt

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
The Arrows F1 outfit owned by Tom Wlakinshaw is notlikely to complete the season. After failing to make the last three engine payments they have now been taken to court and it does not look good.

The bad news for Australia is that Walkinshaw was the one who took Lowndes to Europe for his ill-fated attempt at trying to see if he could make F1, he also is the manager for Webber.

Although Webber has performed well this season he has other problems. Mark Webber does not have the sponsorship dollars that other drivers do. this makes him less attractive to smaller teams and with one less F1 outfit in the paddock harder to maintain his drive.

Lets just hope it works out for Webber, after all it had been a while between F1 drivers.

Webber doesn't have any links to Walkinshaw anymore, Webber is in the stable of Flavio Briatore who owns Renault and Webber is under contract to Minardi for 2003 unless he finds another spot in the mean time (Toyota & Jaguar have put out feelers with him even test driving the Jaguar last week)

Bigger question is with Walkinshaw being on the verge of going broke, what effect this will have on HSV and HRT in Australia which he owns 50% of

This really is huge news. Mate of mine told me tonight, was quite surprised. No wonder TWR was scrapping so hard to get the TV rights money off Stoddart.

Will be interesting to see the implications for HRT in Australia, but it mightn't be such a bad thing as Holden could buy them out.

As Ewok said, Webber is with Briatore and if he was going to get a drive next year it would be with Jaguar or Toyota (or perhaps another test with Renault). The real problem is 22 drivers into 20 doesn't go, and that doesn't include the likes of Alonso and Wurz waiting in the wings.

It also devalues the licence rights owned by Stoddart because now 2 spots are available on the grid. But it's a major worry, only 20 cars for the rest of the year, plus Minardi in trouble, and concerns over BAR and Jaguar.

No one wants to see a 14 or 16 car race.

Arrows got back onto the track today and according to the paper HSV/HRT they are a seperate organisation than Arrows and they are fine

Originally posted by Player

I would love to see a 14 car race.

Make one hell of a point of difference from the 2-3 team racing the sport has "enjoyed" of the last 20 years.

Yeah, fair point. But it's hard to believe only 10 years ago F1 had to do pre-qualifying on the Friday morning to decide which cars would compete!

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk

Yeah, fair point. But it's hard to believe only 10 years ago F1 had to do pre-qualifying on the Friday morning to decide which cars would compete!

Now those were the days....88-91!!! The likes of Coloni, AGS, Eurobrun, Rial, Onyx, Larrouse, Zakspeed, Brabham....Bernd Schneider, Nicola Larini, Gabriele Tarquini, Yannick Dalmas etc etc etc

In my view the years 87-92 were the best and definatly my most favourite in F1 racing

Originally posted by Slax
Arrows are on track at the moment but the word going around Silverstone is that Minardi is far more like to line up in Melbourne next season than Arrows.

The fact that HSV/HRT are seperate may well be true as it may be due to company laws and limiting liability of one to the other.
Minardi have lost their Asiatech engines (which they pay nothing for) for next year. The latest rumour is that Minardi may give Webber to Jaguar next year in return for some Cosworth engines.

Originally posted by Macca19

Now those were the days....88-91!!! The likes of Coloni, AGS, Eurobrun, Rial, Onyx, Larrouse, Zakspeed, Brabham....Bernd Schneider, Nicola Larini, Gabriele Tarquini, Yannick Dalmas etc etc etc

In my view the years 87-92 were the best and definatly my most favourite in F1 racing

I agree - it was far more open then. I'm pretty sure Leyton House managed a podium one Grand Prix then failed to even pre-qualify at the next!

Unless something is done we will be down to 9 teams in the near future (no Arrows and Minardi) and 7 not long after that (concerns over BAR and Jaguar). Bernie will have to be very careful, else when the Concorde Agreement runs out the championship will almost certainly split in 2 - the major constructors and then a 2nd tier with the lower ranked teams.

Originally posted by Macca19

Why traffic in proven losers of the era when Lotus was still a respectable team.

Still winning races in the 80s with great drivers, plently of ambition, and a fine history.

Their demise left a bloody great big hole in the field.

I hope those fishheads that killed ground-effect in the 70s are happy.

If Webber can't get a drive in F1, where is he likely to go?

Any chance of getting back to F1 at a later date if he can't get in somewhere for next season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back