Arsenal FC: Out of control

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I can’t understand how it’s so hard for some people to comprehend that this is a “crisis” for a club of Arsenal’s stature. If this was happening at Juventus, Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern etc and the decline had been happening for years, the same reactions would be had from their staunchest supporters.

Remember, Arsenal fans have to fork out an extortionate amount of money to watch them at the Emirates and for what? To see them lose to Brighton and get absolutely schooled by the other big 5/6 teams?

Like most have said, it’s all relative. I can understand for a club like Hull etc, they’d kill to be in our position but that’s because you are almost never near where Arsenal’s lowest currently is. There is no consistency so when you do finish high up on the table, it’s a bonus and you don’t expect to finish there again the next season.

Look at Leicester. They won the title out of nowhere but I don’t think Jatz immediately thought that they would go on and replicate it again. If Leicester did go on and win the title another few times and finish top 4 regularly over the next ten years then of course, fans expectations would then be raised so that if they did hen start to drop back to mid table, they would consider it a crisis themselves.
Bang on.

Your point? They rectified the situation by changing personnel though. They were pro-active in attempting to resolve their crisis.

The point is it was a bit silly to mention Juventus when they've experienced far worse situations than Arsenal and their supporters didn't carry on like wallies.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
I went back to page 1 and read @Cruyff14’s thoughts on Arsenal back in 2012, and it’s now 2018 and what he typed then is pretty much what he would type now, they’ve been stale for a ‘big’ club for a long time now.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I went back to page 1 and read @Cruyff14’s thoughts on Arsenal back in 2012, and it’s now 2018 and what he typed then is pretty much what he would type now, they’ve been stale for a ‘big’ club for a long time now.
Yeah but apparently we are entitled :rolleyes:

Yeah but apparently we are entitled :rolleyes:

Wanna swap with Leeds and see how that big club is going? "It's all relative" you say, the same would have been said of them back in the day and now look at them. Or Forest?

Yeah, you don't want to end up like them, that's why you complain, but just a bit of perspective about how bad things currently are compared to those other big clubs might help. That's what you continue to refuse to accept.

Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Arsenal are the biggest club in London, 2nd or 3rd biggest club in england, one of the biggest and best clubs in the world, who have always attracted stars and high quality talent and always been a good side and always have been good to watch.

They are more than just a soccer club from england they are a brand and a brand you're supposed to trust and believe in and be consistently good like any other good brand in the world, there's a reason why you pay a little bit more money for it because it is supposed to be reliable, a little bit luxurious and top of the range.

They have stagnated and gone away from that, wenger has been there too long the game has gone past him from being innovative to being easily outcoached, arsenal should always be a great side competing with the best like all the other great sides in the world are, not hard to understand why supporters are pissed off when they've been crying out for change the past 5 years and nothings happened.

Arsenal are the biggest club in London, 2nd or 3rd biggest club in england, one of the biggest and best clubs in the world, who have always attracted stars and high quality talent and always been a good side and always have been good to watch.

They have stagnated and gone away from that, wenger has been there too long the game has gone past him from being innovative to being easily outcoached, arsenal should always be a great side competing with the best like all the other great sides in the world are, not hard to understand why supporters are pissed off when they've been crying out for change the past 5 years and nothings happened.

ops.meme_.nba_-1024x768.jpg

Lol you're saying there not??

How so explain to me how they are not

I think there are clubs that are bigger, either in a historical context, or in a current context (in some cases different clubs).

CFC_JP

Club Legend
Jun 21, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Wenger knows his time is up, he's just scared of what will happen when he leaves.

He's dedicated his life to the club, that stadium is basically his. The board are poison, so he'd be thinking it'll all just burn down when he leaves it up to them.

Plus the club is his li, it's all he knows and quitting would probably be the end of him. It'd be like being married to the girl of your dreams but you can't please her anymore, then you break up and you watch her from a distance as she moves on with some other bloke, while you have nothing.

I know it's been said too many times, but give him 1 more season.

Either he wins the Euro League (lol) or he fails to qualify for Europe/drops out of Europe early next season, then uses the extra rest to really push for the title after a solid transfer window.

Dimma got another season and look what happened there

CFC_JP

Club Legend
Jun 21, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
The only thing that allows arsenal the ability to attract 'world class' players and thus compete is that they are based in London. Take the London factor out and with wenger at the helm the gooners would be running around in league 1. For as good as wenger was 10-15 years ago I seriously believe he's losing his cognitive skills and abilities. The man actually believes he is the right person to fix the problems. I think he will be gone in the summer.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
The point is it was a bit silly to mention Juventus when they've experienced far worse situations than Arsenal and their supporters didn't carry on like wallies.
Not really. Like I said, it shows how they handled a far more dire situation more effectively than what’s happening at Arsenal.

My point was that if Juventus started languishing around mid table or lower, there would be pitchforks our for the manager/board to at least show that they are trying to bring a resurgence back to the club.

It’s easier to change your expectations when you are coming from the bottom up. It’s difficult to do so in the other direction.

Leeds fans I’m sure would have felt in the same boat. They were in the Champions League and now they are in the Championship. They probably never expected to be there based on their personnel and consistency in finishing more or less in the top half regularly.

Liverpool fans are even used to their side hardly challenging these days apart from the last few where it seems they are starting to turn a corner and be a genuine title contender. Now Liverpool fans expectations are changing again and they probably feel targeting a CL spot regularly is a certainty each season.

At the end of the day, each club and their fans are entitled to determine what they consider a crisis in the context of their clubs stature. Arsenal are in a crisis based on many of these factors.

Last edited:
Don't think arsenal fans are saying their club is experiencing the worst fall from grace ever. Just that they're sick of the last 6 years where all they've done is either stall or regress
And do very little to address the reason behind the regression.

I'd take one s**t year and do something about it straight away than several mediocre years and do nothing about it any day.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Someone needs to brush up on their clubs history...

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Football didn't exist pre-1996 :D
Indeed. Pre-Wenger they were known as “Boring, boring Arsenal” a chant heard up and down the country for years. This chicken bloke is obviously a Jonny-come-lately fan

Back