thedevilsowne

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
AC/DC
Respect them, done well for themselves, but would be happy quite happy if never heard them ever again.

SunKing

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Metallica - just plain don't like metal or singers who can't sing.

Bob Marley - great write of reggae/pop tunes but reggae bores me to tears

I agree with these two.

I respected Bob Marley as a person..but 'buffalo soldier' aside his music (& reggae in general) does nothing for me.

Jul 11, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
but how many do it as well as her? now? only beyonce. ever? only madonna and britney.

is it luck? of course it is. the record industrys job is to manufacture stars. and not many have ever shone as brightly as hers. the fact that shes one of a million hopefuls doesnt change the fact that she had to have, nurture and maintain the right talent and image.

i reckon u could count on your hands the number of women whose names are known around the world who are still doing their thing. hers is. the rest of the list would include the aforementioned megastars and people like the queen.

in terms of image and possibly iconic status (needs more time), you have a point

but i'm talking about musical integrity here as an artist, not as an icon

image is important, every single one of us is influenced it by the artists we like... some like the indie image, some prefer the commercial, some prefer the death metal drugged up one. but i wouldn't necessarily consider it an aspect of an artists musical talent

r dub 19

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
May 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Jeff Probst
in terms of image and possibly iconic status (needs more time), you have a point

but i'm talking about musical integrity here as an artist, not as an icon

image is important, every single one of us is influenced it by the artists we like... some like the indie image, some prefer the commercial, some prefer the death metal drugged up one. but i wouldn't necessarily consider it an aspect of an artists musical talent

If you cater to your market, what more do you want?

Jul 11, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If you cater to your market, what more do you want?

This is a fair point. A lot of artists simply want to sell records and make money. If they succeed, then kudos to them. A lot of artists in the game also want to do well in a commercial sense, but at the same time, be respected for what they do. A classic example would be Eminem - artist that wanted to sell as well as be respected by his peers. Most of his fans wouldn't even be able to comprehend what a bar of writing is, let alone how well he is able to write them. If an artist wants to be respected critically and not just commercially, surely this must count for something?

I'm sure Kesha doesn't give a **** that everyone with a clue realises that she is a putrid 'singer', as at the end of the day, she's selling records and watching her money pile up. At the same time, is she trying to get her market and/or peers to respect her ability to sing? If she doesn't give a s**t about that, then yes, I'd say nothing is to be expected of her.

r dub 19

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
May 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Jeff Probst
This is a fair point. A lot of artists simply want to sell records and make money. If they succeed, then kudos to them. A lot of artists in the game also want to do well in a commercial sense, but at the same time, be respected for what they do. A classic example would be Eminem - artist that wanted to sell as well as be respected by his peers. Most of his fans wouldn't even be able to comprehend what a bar of writing is, let alone how well he is able to write them. If an artist wants to be respected critically and not just commercially, surely this must count for something?

I'm sure Kesha doesn't give a **** that everyone with a clue realises that she is a putrid 'singer', as at the end of the day, she's selling records and watching her money pile up. At the same time, is she trying to get her market and/or peers to respect her ability to sing? If she doesn't give a s**t about that, then yes, I'd say nothing is to be expected of her.

I think you will find labels will only let artists put out what they see fit. I.e Lupe situation.

Bowski

Club Legend
May 14, 2007
Shenanigan
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Celtic
The Sex Pistols.

More power to them for what they achieved but I could never get through their tracks. May be the fact that I think Johnny Rotten is one of the biggest twats in history.

Also it was mentioned earlier on but Christine Aguilera is a seriously limited singer. Excellent in some regards but really a one trick pony. The best young female voice imo would be someone like Beth Ditto (The Gossip), not in love with the band but she has some genuine chops

mad-saint-guy

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2005
Toronto, ON
AFL Club
St Kilda
I hate the common line of thinking that deems Lady Gaga a respectable artist. She sings crap overproduced mainstream mush. Just because she's slightly alternative does not make her any different from a "Britney" or similar popstyled artist.

She has serious musical talent and was making decent, original stuff as a singer/pianist before she went the Gaga route. I don't blame her at all for catering to the mass market and becoming one of the most wealthy, famous people in pop culture rather than plugging away at pubs trying to pay rent. She's an incredibly savvy, dedicated businesswoman and obviously has an intelligent group of people behind her and the persona.

Jul 11, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Also it was mentioned earlier on but Christine Aguilera is a seriously limited singer. Excellent in some regards but really a one trick pony. The best young female voice imo would be someone like Beth Ditto (The Gossip), not in love with the band but she has some genuine chops

If you mean limited and a one-trick pony in terms of her as an artist, ie the songs and albums she creates, then I wouldn't object. If you are talking about her vocal ability, then I'd be dumbfounded. 4.5 octaves fellow, and that isn't even the half of it! Respect.

SunKing

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pink Floyd, just couldn't ever get into them

I'm kind of like that,love the early psychedelic Barret era but never got into the later 70' stuff.

As for Gaga the music is ordinary but i don't mind her as a person. It also doesn't hurt that she is a Lennon/Beatles fan who has tripped out on acid a few times. Can see her as a hippie chick at woodstock if she were around back then.

thedevilsowne

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Rammstein. Im sure their music is good, but i just cant see how you can get into music in a different language. Also don't get Radiohead

Trust me it's better you don't know what there singing about. Can you also not like Pavorotti? It's better not what they singing about sometimes, look a the killer's for example.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I respected Bob Marley as a person..but 'buffalo soldier' aside his music (& reggae in general) does nothing for me.

How can you not like No Woman No Cry? One of the best songs ever.:thumbsu:

Bowski

Club Legend
May 14, 2007
Shenanigan
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Celtic
If you mean limited and a one-trick pony in terms of her as an artist, ie the songs and albums she creates, then I wouldn't object. If you are talking about her vocal ability, then I'd be dumbfounded. 4.5 octaves fellow, and that isn't even the half of it! Respect.

For me she is the definition of 'resting on ones laurels', like you say she has incredible natural talent/ability. I'd go as far as saying only Julie Andrews and Freddie Mercury were more gifted 'physically' for pop music. That isn't all though.

She very rarely steps outside of her range, wide though it may be and has the emotional depth of a stump. For arguments sake i'll compare her to Minnie Riperton.

She's the bird that famously sang 'Loving you' with the high f (think of the south park episode). Purely on ability she was the equal of Aguilera if not a touch better, imo, but she demonstrated talent for a wide variety of genres and had genuine emotion in her tracks rather than easy and manipulative sob fests like 'Beautiful'. Not to mention that this was well before the post production vocal touch up era that even Christina would be taking advantage of.

I'm not saying she's a bad singer, she is easily within the top 5 of her generation but I just disagree with the idea that she is the best of her time let alone one of the best ever.

Back