Moved Thread As a spearhead, Jack Riewoldt is comparable to Simon Minton-Connell in the 90s

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
In context of the great era of Full Fowards of the 80s and 90s.

JR's frame and body of work in today's modern era of footy, with all due respect, simply does not compare to your Plugger, Dunstall, Fevola or Lloyd's.

In fact you take him out of Richmond's 17 and 19 premiership teams, they still win the flags regardless.

Jack certainly is a player who played in the right era for his capability, there is no way in Hades Jack Riewoldt would have been as successful in The 80s or 90s. It is what is is.

Couldn’t stay at one club for very long either....

Was there a reason behind that?

Seems odd, someone so talented moving around so much. Especially in that era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are both from Tasmania. That is where the comparison ends I am afraid.

I think he's much more akin to John Longmire. Longmire was a good full-forward and noted goalkicker, but not quite in the top echelon - similar to Riewoldt, who's a very good footballer, but not quite the equivalent of Franklin/his cousin/Hawkins/Kennedy.

Has anyone compared him to Plugger, Dunstall or Lloyd? I can't say I've seen this comparison ever made and if it has been, it is indeed wrong.

And for the OP Fevola isn't on par with the above three either, even though he was a very good player (even with all his foibles and bagged).

Anyway, solid melt. 7/10.

I think he's much more akin to John Longmire. Longmire was a good full-forward and noted goalkicker, but not quite in the top echelon - similar to Riewoldt, who's a very good footballer, but not quite the equivalent of Franklin/his cousin/Hawkins/Kennedy.
if jacks isnt in that group then hawkins sure as hell isnt either

Remove this Banner Ad

Back