ASADA Chiefs face senate estimates committee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
As one of the few Essendon fans who beleive we need to stick with the WADA code I am more than happy for McDevitt and ASADA to get their ass handed to them and shut down/completely restructured.

Are an embarrassement of an organisation. Wasted 3 years of everyones time whereas WADA got the job done in 1 year.

Don't mess with EFC fools!! Who does McDevitt support anyway? Strikes me as an NRL fan.

As one of the few Essendon fans who beleive we need to stick with the WADA code I am more than happy for McDevitt and ASADA to get their ass handed to them and shut down/completely restructured.

Are an embarrassement of an organisation. Wasted 3 years of everyones time whereas WADA got the job done in 1 year.
:rolleyes:

Yeah, because WADA did all the investigation in a year.

Truly, think.

What is Di Natale's agenda in this?

He later took to social media to declare he was "frustrated that we won't be able to question" ASADA, and felt for Essendon supporters who had made the trip to Canberra.
Question them on what? About why it took an understaffed and under funded organisation two years to investigate a club that wasn't cooperating, has possibly destroyed evidence and had their own league covering for them?

Question them on what? About why it took an understaffed and under funded organisation two years to investigate a club that wasn't cooperating, has possibly destroyed evidence and had their own league covering for them?

Di Natale's agenda is just populism, get heard, maybe get some votes.

This.

I have sat through a heap of Estimates Committee's over the years. You are putting to much faith in the politicians.

No one gets their 'ass handed to them'. There is always some political point scoring on the day.

There probably will be a restructure of ASADA like every other Government agency but it won't be because of Estimates.

I hope you were being sarcastic.

The reason ASADA took so long was because they were on a shoestring budget, had limited powers, limited manpower, were dealing with a hostile league and club and were also investigating a club from another football code. They also had to contend with political interference and bomb/death threats from Essendon supporters. Even then, the ridiculous legal avenues Essendon and Hird took did not help, as well as the AFL tribunal taking such a long time to hear the case which spanned the best part of two months.

Apart from the AOD bungle, they did a fantastic job. They did most of the legwork, their investigation had enough evidence to nail them. WADA only framed their legal case differently, had a better legal mind to prosecute and the case was heard outside the circles of the AFL.

I am not sure how McDevitt will get his ass handed to him. McDevitt in particular is to be commended for his tenacity and hard work to finally see justice through. He stuck to his guns and at the end, was vindicated.

In 2 words, Thrawn, "rank populism". I wrote to Di Natali last year. I chose him a) because he is a doctor and b) he had shown a particular interest in the workings of the TGA, in various Senate examinations of the broader health system. In various of those examinations by the Senate/Parliament, Di Natali was afforded expert status, and allowed to individually opine as addenda to the consensus findings.

Given his background, I thought it reasonable to couch the approach in medical and well being terms, so highlighted a number of the drugs in play in '12, and where they sat in the eyes of the fair dinkum medical and pharmaceutical minds. Sport as microcosm, if you like, with WADA offering particular protections not generally available to the masses.

The missive included particular references from professorial types, links to scientific and legal opinions, full box and dice (he's a doctor, dontcha see?).

I did get a reply from the Senator - from his 'advisor' on sport, who began his response with "You seem to know a lot about this....", then 'marvel, marvel, marvel' and out came the carpet and broom.

Next time, which is currently in conception, and won't be far away, both barrels will be employed and, knowing there is some tension in the Greens' ranks, about Dear Leader's pivot to populism, Di Natali wont be the only Green to be addressed, nor the Greens the only political mob, nor political operatives the only category of interested party.

No fan of rank populism or carpets and brooms, moi.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have sat through a heap of Estimates Committee's over the years. You are putting to much faith in the politicians.

No one gets their 'ass handed to them'. There is always some political point scoring on the day.

There probably will be a restructure of ASADA like every other Government agency but it won't be because of Estimates.

So true, all of that. 'Estimates' is theatre as cover for kicking cans down the road.

Any serious examination of ASADA's performance would have to include the early doors period when Andrushka was in charge. But, because that period has the political and vested interest influence in full view, you can bet it won't make the "Estimates" agenda.

I'd like to see Andrushka have her chance to have a say, because she was the one who had to battle on a number of influence fronts. And, after all, it was Middleton in the Fed Crt proceedings who singled her out as an honest broker worthy of respect. He didn't hurl accolades in other directions.

Indeed. Back in my past I've been there too. The spectacle of bored politicians flicking through departmental budget documents and asking random penetrating questions like "what is this?" does little to inspire confidence in a robust and diligent system of oversight. Except of course when there is an issue of current interest in the media; in which case the questions parrot what's in the newspapers and add NOTHING to our understanding.

They should let Hirdy question him, He wouldn't enjoy that at all.
McDevitt would shred Hird to pieces with one hard cold steely look. Besides, Hird is only capable of speaking in public to a script. If you move even a centimetre off script, he umms and ahs and his mind goes blank.

In 2 words, Thrawn, "rank populism". I wrote to Di Natali last year. I chose him a) because he is a doctor and b) he had shown a particular interest in the workings of the TGA, in various Senate examinations of the broader health system. In various of those examinations by the Senate/Parliament, Di Natali was afforded expert status, and allowed to individually opine as addenda to the consensus findings.

Given his background, I thought it reasonable to couch the approach in medical and well being terms, so highlighted a number of the drugs in play in '12, and where they sat in the eyes of the fair dinkum medical and pharmaceutical minds. Sport as microcosm, if you like, with WADA offering particular protections not generally available to the masses.

The missive included particular references from professorial types, links to scientific and legal opinions, full box and dice (he's a doctor, dontcha see?).

I did get a reply from the Senator - from his 'advisor' on sport, who began his response with "You seem to know a lot about this....", then 'marvel, marvel, marvel' and out came the carpet and broom.

Next time, which is currently in conception, and won't be far away, both barrels will be employed and, knowing there is some tension in the Greens' ranks, about Dear Leader's pivot to populism, Di Natali wont be the only Green to be addressed, nor the Greens the only political mob, nor political operatives the only category of interested party.

Are you the "foamers" version of Bruce Francis? ;)

If I were you I wouldn't devote too much time and effort to the endeavour.

Letters to politicians serve two useful purposes. They allow the author to let off some steam; and they provide gainful employment to the parliament house cleaners and recycling crew.

8c238_470666-67a0769e-d80b-11e4-915f-fd70bc6357a8.jpg

"there was a lot of traffic"

Last edited:
They should let Hirdy question him, He wouldn't enjoy that at all.

Yeah they should appoint Hird to the senate cos he's Hirdy and such a reputable man. McD would destroy Hird by the way.

I love the fantasy that Hird is some sort of high intellectual. The sort with a steel trap mind that doesn't pay attention to texts from Dank or remembers Reid had written a letter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back