ASADA "stitch-up" over Essendon PED scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

perahps, but if it could be proved that there were enough different prohibited substances, illegal methods / breaches etc who knows. As it turned out for several of the players they were effectively life bans because some did stuff all upon returning, certainly some careers were killed.

It’s not hard to look into what is required to get a life ban.
Essendon players were miles off.
It took Dank administering and trafficking commercial quantities over a period of time in multiple sports/clubs for him to get a life ban.
Even this guy only got 8 years for a second offence (the first being trafficking)

Which in itself was a problem they can't have helped but recognise.

Any sportsman worth their salt would have spotted the problem:

* Secretive program
* Unknown chemicals
* Club doctor out of the loop

Red flags from here to Sunday.

Not a single shred of excuse there.

Yeah I understand your point..but..this was an unique case.

The players just went along with club instructions..unfortunately

The way they’ve phrased that statement is interesting.
Does that mean if any government in the world (let’s say Mexico or Russia) approves its use then it’s ok?
Not quite. If its approved for therapeutic use for humans anywhere in the world it won't automatically be prohibited but it may appear in the banned list specifically. It's how they got away with one of the substances they used (can't remember which one now) as it was approved in some country. AOD9604 was an experimental drug - still in clinical trials. They should have been banned for that alone!

hate to say I disagree, his one 'big year' on the back of a summer when they were injected with god knows what, players were noticeably bigger, stronger, faster etc after one summer. sometimes if it walks like, sounds like, smells like and tastes like a duck it could be a duck.

Yeah this is pretty accurate

In what way?

As a group, the players were assured in every way by the club that it was all above board.

It’s not hard to figure out.

The whole situation was one big disinformation cluster####.

And the players ended up with the blame. Which is wrong imo.

As a group, the players were assured in every way by the club that it was all above board.

It’s not hard to figure out.

The whole situation was one big disinformation cluster####.

And the players ended up with the blame. Which is wrong imo.
Any one of them could have contacted ASADA confidentially, with the names of the drugs and asked whether they were legal. There are no records any of them did that.

They could have filled out forms with ALL of the stuff they were on. They didn't.

This was their own responsibility. I disagree that they had no options. More likely they smelled an unfair advantage and grabbed onto it to improve their very highly paid careers.

You can't con an honest man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh
ASADA website wasn't up to date
What of it

Still don't have a list of what was used
Players were lax with their forms
WADA had it banned
Still brought the comp into disrepute.
Not getting those picks back or back into the 2013 finals

this is just fodder for trolls to lap up and make stupid statements with. Like being shocked to be sitting here.

Any one of them could have contacted ASADA confidentially, with the names of the drugs and asked whether they were legal. There are no records any of them did that.

They could have filled out forms with ALL of the stuff they were on. They didn't.

This was their own responsibility. I disagree that they had no options. More likely they smelled an unfair advantage and grabbed onto it to improve their very highly paid careers.

You can't con an honest man.

Yes..I’m sure a lot of players would’ve done things differently in hindsight.

But what’s done is done.

The were following a club program and trusted the officials running it.
But they were required to disclose whatever substance they were taking when giving samples and several completely omitted that they’d had the injections at times they were required to disclose it. That’s dealt with the CAS decision (there was never any explanation for this given by those players) and it’s entirely on them.

Not quite. If its approved for therapeutic use for humans anywhere in the world it won't automatically be prohibited but it may appear in the banned list specifically. It's how they got away with one of the substances they used (can't remember which one now) as it was approved in some country. AOD9604 was an experimental drug - still in clinical trials. They should have been banned for that alone!

I still find the wording interesting.
That rule is in place for athlete safety/health concerns more so than performance enhancing effects, though I’m not sure that a substance which is approved for human use in some random country should automatically be considered safe for human use lol.

As a fan I'm just over the whole saga and want it put to bed so we can move on.

As a club and playing group I can completely understand exploring the validity of this claim and throwing money at a court case to try and exonerate the club and players.

Likening the Essendon injections regime to the metaphor of the ‘boiling frog’, Dr Switkowski said it was impossible to blame any single person for the governance failings.

Quoting a Wikipedia extract, he said: “If you drop a frog in a pot of boiling water, it will of course try to clamber out. But if you place it gently in a pot of tepid water and turn the heat on low, it will float there quite placidly.

No wonder Evans is going broke, he pissed away his Dad's fortune on paying Ziggy to quote from Wiki lol.

As a fan I'm just over the whole saga and want it put to bed so we can move on.

As a club and playing group I can completely understand exploring the validity of this claim and throwing money at a court case to try and exonerate the club and players.

I will personally contribute one New Zealand thirty cent piece to any fund towards said court case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back