No Oppo Supporters ASAGA - The Final Chapter - Appeal Dismissed (Page 12) - The End

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.fiveaa.com.au/sport/high-profile-reporter-confirms-he-was-put-on-afl-blacklist
The Herald Sun’s Mick Warner confirms he was denied access to an AFL Finals series after reporting on the Essendon supplements saga.
“I don’t know if it was the end of 2013 or 2014, I was denied an accreditation to the finals,” Mick told the FIVEaa sports show. “I suppose that was probably the direct result of some of the things that I was reporting on… but they pale into insignificance compared to what some other people in the game have said they’ve had to endure over the years.”

“I wouldn’t call it support of Essendon, I would just call it reporting on the facts of what happened.”

Mick reminded listeners that early in the Essendon saga it was alleged that then AFL boss Andrew Demetriou tipped off Essendon’s David Evans about the looming investigation…

“The investigation was compromised from that point on. That’s sort of what I think the AFL didn’t really like being explored.

“A lot of the things that came out -- clearly the AFL weren’t happy about… the behind the scenes manoeuvring …”

But Mick saw the lighter side of his ban:

“Richmond weren’t in the finals, so it was no big deal.”

Have you ever considered that maybe the club did fail in it's governance to it's players and that's why we're in this mess in the first place? Crikey.

The club did fail in its governance but it also did itself no favours by doing the review. Would have been better off saying to the AFL, well if you think you have a case then prove it. By self reporting they jumped the gun. No other club decided to put their hand up, they cleaned up what they where doing close to the line and made no comment either way.
We where a mess but we made the mess worse by giving the AFL and ASADA evidence to use against us. Yes we where wrong, yes people had to pay the price but you do not need to shoot yourself in the foot by giving those prosecuting the bullets to put in the gun.

Ultimately Evans and Little didn't minimise any damage - it was maximised. The clubs greatest living player was thrown under a bus to protect the players, we were removed from finals, lost early draft picks, huge financial losses, basically lost 4 seasons, the players were banned anyway, some players walked, many past players, coaches, current players and supporters are not content with the handling.

To say either Evans or Little handled this well is a farce.

The damage was already out of control when Little had to take the wheel. The train had left the station. It was already a bush fire. We all know you are in the Hird camp but the simple fact is Little hardly any room to move other than to try and steer through the disaster and hope the club came out the other end. The AFL threw Hird under the bus. They pushed the issue and the leaks.
Little calling Hird selfish was correct. The club asked him to do something for the good of the club but he decided to continue his path. I know Hird did not set out to run an drug program, i also know it is questionable that the players where actually given anything ( that is another story) that is reported. Hird was fighting for what he thought was right but there was a point where he needed to pull back and let it settle.

I would be giving thanks to Little . He took on a s**t burger and ate it so the club could come out the other side. It was not pretty and far from what anyone wanted but that is what eating a s**t burger is about. He took one for the team as well and now we are better off for it other than James who sadly has to bear the brunt of a lot of poor decisions made by many people and very few of his own making.

The club did fail in its governance but it also did itself no favours by doing the review. Would have been better off saying to the AFL, well if you think you have a case then prove it. By self reporting they jumped the gun. No other club decided to put their hand up, they cleaned up what they where doing close to the line and made no comment either way.
We where a mess but we made the mess worse by giving the AFL and ASADA evidence to use against us. Yes we where wrong, yes people had to pay the price but you do not need to shoot yourself in the foot by giving those prosecuting the bullets to put in the gun.

Please, "self report"

ASADA were coming anyway and we signed a memorandum of understanding with them to undertake a joint investigation with the AFL with the agreement that club-based sanctions would be the outcome.

Of course, they backflipped.

Please, "self report"

ASADA were coming anyway and we signed a memorandum of understanding with them to undertake a joint investigation with the AFL with the agreement that club-based sanctions would be the outcome.

Perhaps co-operate to the point of shooting ourselves in the foot instead of "self report" is preferred?

The damage was already out of control when Little had to take the wheel. The train had left the station. It was already a bush fire. We all know you are in the Hird camp but the simple fact is Little hardly any room to move other than to try and steer through the disaster and hope the club came out the other end. The AFL threw Hird under the bus. They pushed the issue and the leaks.
Little calling Hird selfish was correct. The club asked him to do something for the good of the club but he decided to continue his path. I know Hird did not set out to run an drug program, i also know it is questionable that the players where actually given anything ( that is another story) that is reported. Hird was fighting for what he thought was right but there was a point where he needed to pull back and let it settle.

I would be giving thanks to Little . He took on a s**t burger and ate it so the club could come out the other side. It was not pretty and far from what anyone wanted but that is what eating a s**t burger is about. He took one for the team as well and now we are better off for it other than James who sadly has to bear the brunt of a lot of poor decisions made by many people and very few of his own making.

Paul Little was a member of the board that endorsed Evans decisions from the outset so he was part of it from the beginning. Hird was pressured into taking a deal that could never be delivered upon. And he did take that deal despite his correct concerns they could not be trusted. And then when he was due to return Paul Little and co didn't even allow him to attend Crichton Medal and tried to sack him then and there causing more instability and playing into the afls hands.

Please, "self report"

Even idiots on the HTB were aware WADA could come over the top - our leaders did a deal that could never be guaranteed. Foolish and poor leadership.

Of course it was a shocking decision in hindsight.

If you really think Evans had co had any power to stop it once the AFL made up their mind you're kidding yourself.
All the "evidence" we were hung on, all the records linked to the media etc - it was all coughed up voluntarily.

You think an employer has any right whatsoever to forensically examine your phone?

Paul Little was a member of the board that endorsed Evans decisions from the outset so he was part of it from the beginning. Hird was pressured into taking a deal that could never be delivered upon. And he did take that deal despite his correct concerns they could not be trusted. And then when he was due to return Paul Little and co didn't even allow him to attend Crichton Medal and tried to sack him then and there causing more instability and playing into the afls hands.

You seem to be that blinded by your love of Hird that you forget he was asked to drop the continual legal action. That was why the situation with the Crighton medal came up. Many members of the board wanted Hird sacked before then but it was Little who advised not to do so as they would never win an unfair dismissal case against them.

At the end of the day the board where directed to do what the AFL wanted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You seem to be that blinded by your love of Hird that you forget he was asked to drop the continual legal action. That was why the situation with the Crighton medal came up. Many members of the board wanted Hird sacked before then but it was Little who advised not to do so as they would never win an unfair dismissal case against them.

At the end of the day the board where directed to do what the AFL wanted.
You will find he's had these sort of things pointed out to him many times; it has no effect though, the same argument gets rehashed time and again.

If they did what they thought was the right thing at the time how is it a cop out?

"Hindsight is a wonderful thing" is a cop-out. You're trying to say that there was no way of telling that it was a mistake to support Evans' actions in commissioning the report. It's not about hindsight. Of course THEY thought it was the right thing. Doesn't matter though; it was a stuff up. It was dumb then and you're letting him off the hook.

Sussan Ley:
"Blackest Day in Australian Sport" : Federal Sports Minister???
Well, she's into screwing anyone and everyone!!!
Mike Fitzpatrick: Danny Corcoran outs him!
Mike Fitzpatrick: Who did he "F......" abuse from the media and they outed him a little while ago?
Interested to see how things go in a few years when players/staff retire from positions and how 'the truth' may come out!?!? They have started to come out with their disgust with treatment of human beings: Nathan Buckley, Grant Thomas, Wayne Schwass, Danny Corcoran...The dam walls may well break open at some point??? That'd be nice!!!
I'm disgusted with the way 'we' have been treated. James Hird is an all round champion.
I'm sure Leigh Matthews said in the media earlier that'He was the coach and would have no idea what went on with the medical side of things'.
BTW: What about the idea that there may be a breakaway league at some point. Hello Eddie. Because the AFL seem to be screwing things up consistently???
Clearly, I want certain people at the AFL now and previously screwed into the ground! Here's hoping.

And Snape. Terrible week... At least it turned out okay-ish though.
Alan Rickman is a great loss. However Snape was a complete bastard.

"Hindsight is a wonderful thing" is a cop-out. You're trying to say that there was no way of telling that it was a mistake to support Evans' actions in commissioning the report. It's not about hindsight. Of course THEY thought it was the right thing. Doesn't matter though; it was a stuff up. It was dumb then and you're letting him off the hook.

If they did what they thought was right it's hard to be critical to the extent the posts I was replying to have been. Anyway, been done to death, not chewing over old bones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back