No Oppo Supporters ASAGA - The Final Chapter - Appeal Dismissed (Page 12) - The End

Remove this Banner Ad

And so if found to have acted in such a way then what, a fine paid to some regulatory body?
ACCC - 1.1 million for corps and 220 grand for individuals

Generally directors get booted from board membership for five years, which would be truly fitting for Vlad

Hirdy could reboot gemba and take on his client base

And so if found to have acted in such a way then what, a fine paid to some regulatory body?
The court documents would show what remedies have been sought. While damages (monetary compensation) are available if loss can be shown I'd think that would be hard to establish here (and $$ does not seem to be the object of the proceedings - rather its purpose appears to be making the AFL executive accountable and uncomfortable). Yes, fines of up to $1.1m for corporations found to be in breach can be enforced by the regulator (ACCC).

The reality is, we really played 22
practice matches in 2013.

From what I’m reading, the case is that the AFL knew all along they were going to boot Essendon from finals (which of course, they did) - they even labelled the thing publicly as “protecting the integrity of the finals”.

The AFL simply knew a long way out they couldn’t risk Essendon winning the 2013 flag.

So they’ve misled consumers by knowing that all along, yet hiding it until their perfectly-timed “meetings” before the last round.

Yeah, pretty much sums it up. Mate I worked with at the time (not an Essendon fan) said to me he'd bet his house on the AFL not letting us play finals but that they'd string it out until the last round so that they kept making money.

Ha.

Actually I just checked the members honour roll thing on the club website (my daughter who is a 5 year member got emailed about it today) and I'm not on there anywhere (16 year member)...so yeah, record keeping. :drunk:

I'm on it as is my youngest son. The older two however......15 years both of them. Nada.

**** this ******* club's website is a piece of s**t
Used to be good, then telstra got upset it was good and forced HQ to have it shut down so they could make us have their s**t one.

I'm on it as is my youngest son. The older two however......15 years both of them. Nada.
Old man is on it, me who should be between 15yr and 20yr. Nup

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL has it's own legal team, but Fitzpatrick and McLachlan have now retained Peter Gordon (WB President) as their own legal counsel....

THE Essendon drugs saga has taken another twist with lawyer and Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon acting for AFL supremos Gillon McLachlan and Mike Fitzpatrick.

It emerged this morning that Gordon’s law firm, Gordon Legal, had been retained by McLachlan and Fitzpatrick as separate legal advisers to the AFL’s in a Supreme Court case alleging misleading and deceptive conduct by the league during footy’s greatest crisis.

Global law firm K & L Gates will continue to lead the AFL’s defence in the case brought by Melbourne lawyer Jackson Taylor.

The involvement of Gordon’s firm will add significant costs to a case that has run since last year.

In an affidavit filed with the court in February, lawyer Mark Dobbie for the AFL estimated the league’s costs in defending the matter would likely top $700,000.

McLachlan last month described the case as a waste of money.

Taylor is being represented by human rights lawyer Julian Burnside, QC, who represented James Hird during his own fight with the AFL.

Taylor’s legal team has also been bolstered, with top commercial lawyer and Adelaide United chairman Greg Griffin signing on as lead solicitor this week.

The legal teams fronted Supreme Court Justice John Dixon at a directions hearing this morning to set out the next procedural steps in the case.

An argument over a deed of release between the parties signed in 2015 will be heard later this year.

McLachlan and Fitzpatrick were represented in court today by commercial barrister Georgina Costello.

Gordon is also acting for the AFL in a sexual harassment and racial discrimination case brought against the league by ex-Gold Coast Suns player Joel Wilkinson.

The Dogs president was embroiled in his own bitter stoush with the AFL in 2016 over the league’s handling of an investigation into the club’s elimination final narrow loss to the Adelaide Crows.

Bulldogs chiefs informed the AFL they had obtained “independent corroboration” of allegations that disaffected Dogs defender Michael Talia leaked parts of the team’s game plan to his brother, star Adelaide backman Daniel Talia, in the days before the match.

The Talias, who have always maintained their innocence, were cleared by the AFL after a 63-day integrity unit investigation.

“There is a clearly sufficient basis for the AFL to find that there was an improper communication of confidential information,” Gordon asserted in the club’s damning submission to the league.

Gordon also issued a statement on behalf of 17 club presidents as the AFL’s war against Essendon reached fever pitch in August 2013.

“We resolved to unanimously express our support for the integrity of the AFL Rules and the need for those rules and the integrity of our competition to be preserved,” he said.

“In our view, it is of paramount importance that every effort be made to resolve these matters within the AFL industry.”
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/82e621a6ff991ac5ec926753b290acf0

Having worked in the legal field before, i would have thought that being president of an AFL club and being the counsel for the said commission that your club is a part of is a reasonably large conflict of interest.

Having never worked in the legal field, but coming from a family that's full of lawyers, I would have to agree.
Sadly, it doesn't surprise me at all the AFL would look at something like this and go "all is well"

They'd have to sign a waiver wouldn't they?
Sorta. Without getting bogged down into details, and to the best of my understanding...

The conflict i am referring to is that lawyers are meant to avoid situations where they have a personal conflict on interest in the case. Seeing the WB are in the AFL and the outcome financially and reputationally will affect the WB indirectly as a said club , it would seem odd to then represent them. Legally/technically the conflict is with the WB and not Gordon, but that is semantics seeing how active Gordon is with the doggies.
Its not a technical or legal conflict, but a moral one which the Victoria Legal Services Board would rather you avoided, if that makes sense.

Not to mention Gordon just represented a plaintiff against the AFL to the HRC as counsel for Katie Brennan after she got suspended. Again, Nothing legally wrong if a waiver is signed but seems odd they would act against the AFL and then for them within 6 months. Again, optics isnt great and the VLSB would be squirming..

Now if Gordon represented someone against the AFL in the future, a waiver would have to be signed by that client saying they know Gordon cant use tbe AFLs confidential info they gathered while they acted for them.

All in all he can do it, and a waiver isnt necessary i dont think at this point, but like i said, the footy club that he is president of has an indirect stake in the outcome. 95% of lawyers i know would steer clear. Odd choice of counsel by the AFL.

Sorta. Without getting bogged down into details, and to the best of my understanding...

The conflict i am referring to is that lawyers are meant to avoid situations where they have a personal conflict on interest in the case. Seeing the WB are in the AFL and the outcome financially and reputationally will affect the WB indirectly as a said club , it would seem odd to then represent them. Legally/technically the conflict is with the WB and not Gordon, but that is semantics seeing how active Gordon is with the doggies.
Its not a technical or legal conflict, but a moral one which the Victoria Legal Services Board would rather you avoided, if that makes sense.

Not to mention Gordon just represented a plaintiff against the AFL to the HRC as counsel for Katie Brennan after she got suspended. Again, Nothing legally wrong if a waiver is signed but seems odd they would act against the AFL and then for them within 6 months. Again, optics isnt great and the VLSB would be squirming..

Now if Gordon represented someone against the AFL in the future, a waiver would have to be signed by that client saying they know Gordon cant use tbe AFLs confidential info they gathered while they acted for them.

All in all he can do it, and a waiver isnt necessary i dont think at this point, but like i said, the footy club that he is president of has an indirect stake in the outcome. 95% of lawyers i know would steer clear. Odd choice of counsel by the AFL.
He also represented Crameri in the ASADA case, although I forget how his argument fit with the arguments of the other 33 and the AFL. Certainly seems contradictory anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back