Team Captain
Nov 25, 2000
perth
Other Teams
eagles
Asgardian
BigFooty Member
posted 11 April 2001 06:12 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not religious, however I do not consider it suitable to be playing sport on Good Friday.
My only reason is to respect the feelings of the many christians within our society, after all, we don't want OZ to become a muslim state do we!!!!
------------------
Chris

(Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus)
----------------------------------------

you better get used to it mate :)
its gonna happen like it or not :D

(ignorance and assumptions get tiresome)

on the other hand Sbagman well said mate.

2. Yeah, I guess I read As' response in the worst possible light, and sorry if I went over the top As. But yes, as it reads, it IS a racist comment. I think summing up the muslim religion like that, while understandable considering media portrayal of it in Australia, is pretty shallow. I know if I was muslim I wouldn't have particularly liked that comment.

dont reduce everything to money and sport
leave some things to be sacred
surely 1 day of no sport wont kill you
respect that some players want to spend easter wtih thier family, and stop thinking only of yoursefl

Originally posted by ah_19:
you better get used to it mate
its gonna happen like it or not

In yer dreams buster. It's far more likely that Australia will become (if it hasn't already) a secular state, with little or no official acknowledgment of any religon.

And this belongs on the general board if anywhere.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 18 April 2001).]

QT

Premiership Player
Suspended
Dec 14, 2000
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Originally posted by Richmondfan#1:
I'm with you mantis!

Im with yous aswell!

------------------
"I came here to win, I am a winner" - Denzel Washington , Remember The Titans ; 2000

sbagman

Club Legend
Nov 17, 2000
Scumshine
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Umm.... thanks ah_19... I guess what I was trying to say was that it is very easy to make very superficial comments about things we don't understand. However, please don't use my comments to justify any sort of superiority of one religion over any other (or any at all). It is just basically a plea for tolerance.

You have to understand, ah_19, while not excusing the comment, I think As' comment was more against "extreme" elements of the muslim world, which in some cases (e.g. Afghanistan) have turned countries into places without freedom of expression and draconian, inhumane punishments. We certainly wouldn't want that to happen in Australia.

While not enlightened, you have to understand why As made the comment (protection of human rights from "extreme" interpretation of muslim law) and why he made the generalisation (portayal of muslim religion in the media).

Give the guy a break.

------------------
Life has meaning only in the struggle.

Back