News & Events Ash Barty has Retired

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
From the perspective of Australian tennis I'm devastated by this news. Ash could have gone on to inspire 1000s of young Australian kids to get into the sport of tennis over many years. She had that potential. We all have our own life to live but Ash could have gone on to win more slams and inspire lots of Aussie kids to play tennis. For this I'm feeling disappointed.

Ash is an incredibly hard working, humble, respectful person who has achieved great things. She is the best tennis player we've had since I've been around.

There was something about her reaction when winning in Melbourne in January that may have been a clue as to this coming. We hadn't really seen her respond in that way after winning her other two slams.

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
I personally think she will look back on this and regret it later in life - she's only 25 and I think she is leaving at least 5 or 6 grand slam titles on the table, which puts her in the upper echelon of the sports great players.

If this is what she wants then good luck to Ash, but I'm just gutted as I love watching her play.

The rest of the womens tour will be breathing a sigh of relief, as none of them looked near her tbh.

From the perspective of Australian tennis I'm devastated by this news. Ash could have gone on to inspire 1000s of young Australian kids to get into the sport of tennis over many years. She had that potential. We all have our own life to live but Ash could have gone on to win more slams and inspire lots of Aussie kids to play tennis. For this I'm feeling disappointed.

Yep this, this is such a huge blow for tennis in Australia. The boom our club got from the Aus Open has helped us after Covid. Obviously her choice but this is my main feelings atm

I just don't think you can use the word retirement at 25. She may never play again but you cannot possibly know what you are thinking in 3 years time

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
Yep this, this is such a huge blow for tennis in Australia. The boom our club got from the Aus Open has helped us after Covid. Obviously her choice but this is my main feelings atm

I just don't think you can use the word retirement at 25. She may never play again but you cannot possibly know what you are thinking in 3 years time

Gut feel is that she will come back in 18-24 months.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I personally think she will look back on this and regret it later in life - she's only 25 and I think she is leaving at least 5 or 6 grand slam titles on the table, which puts her in the upper echelon of the sports great players.

If this is what she wants then good luck to Ash, but I'm just gutted as I love watching her play.

The rest of the womens tour will be breathing a sigh of relief, as none of them looked near her tbh.
Swiatek was shaping up to be a massive threat. IF she won Miami, she would have only been 250 points behind Barty. She was impressive at IW this week. French Open 2020 impressive.

Sucks for tennis, but good on her for knowing what she wants out of life. Not a chance in hell she regrets this, the only regret would have come had she stuck around doing something she didn't have the passion for.

No way of knowing that...

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Yep this, this is such a huge blow for tennis in Australia. The boom our club got from the Aus Open has helped us after Covid.
We both love the sport and saw the potential growth in the game in Australia with Barty winning slams and being number 1, even for a couple more years. It is a huge blow to Australian tennis no doubt.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Not at Bartys level, she got blasted off the court by Collins in about 40 mins in the semi final.
Anyone who watched Swiatek at the French Open 2020 knows her level is scary good

She wasn't at her very best in Australia and was deservedly thrashed by Collins (and Barty in Adelaide). But she is the first player since Ana Ivanovic to win 3 masters titles and a slam before her 21st birthday and has won 2 titles in a row

she is/was the lady in waiting.

dogz

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Congrats Ash on going out on your own terms!
Devastated for womens tennis though. There aren’t many consistent talented players who I want to follow there now.
Need Serena to rise from the dead at Wimbledon now to make wta interesting. Damn.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
At just 25, wouldn't surprise me if later on if she changed her mind. Barty is a wonderful role model and what an outstanding career. Would be good anything she took on and hope the the next stage of her life is full of success, just like her tennis career.

Absolutely there is...Ash Barty's own freaking words.

Trying to project what you feel on to her doesn't achieve or answer anything.

Also trying to predict what she will be feeling in 3 years time will also not achieve anything.

There's no way you can call this a retirement at age 25, no one knows...

Back