News & Events Ash Barty has Retired

torq

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Full of admiration for Ash. She and her fiancee have built a home in Brookwater, a beautiful suburb created in woodlands between Brisbane and Ipswich. She has enough money to never have to work again. She will probably always have some involvement in junior tennis academies and as an advocate for indigenous youth in Queensland.

Home is where the heart is, and it must be especially true for a proud and humble Aussie girl like Ash. Every pro player must feel homesick. As nice as it must be to fly first class and stay in five-star accommodation, it must get tiresome week-in, week-out, year after year.

Just a pity she didn’t have a crack at the US Open this year and complete a career Grand Slam. Her coach said the courts don’t suit her but she would have been hard to beat on current form.

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
Well Borg retired at 25 or around that age.
Maybe Osaka should retire as clearly she is not enjoying playing tennis at all.
I think Tyzzer will just sit out the year he probably won't want to travel very far over the next few months.
I feel disappointed in her decision but I get it. Maybe she doesn't have the passion for the sport as I don't think she watches a lot when she is not playing.
Oh wait we haven't had Roger respond to the news yet.

Floghead2007

Not a draftee
Mar 23, 2022
Ipswich, QLD
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLD Maroons
Ipswich's Finest
I admire everything she did
Inspired lots of young kids to play tennis
and she isnt a flog like Kyrigos or Tomic

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Did you get 3 sources on that?

Yeah, I don't think the rumour is true as Tom Morris just tweeted he spotted Barty in here:

Liquorland.jpg

Which political party ?

She is too much her own person to join LNP and her IQ is way too high for Labor.
Want there supposed to be a Barty Party?
I’m sure I read about it somewhere…

Last edited:

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Gutted of the retirement news, as she was one of our finest Aussie sporting champs. A true ambassador for the sport of tennis (on and off court).

Super proud and happy for her to be a role model of individuality, choosing the path she wants in life, and not let others dictate her goals.

My prediction in 5 years time - Barty has 2 kids, tries out AFLW with Brisbane, wins the Coleman medal in her first year as a small forward, then immediately announces her retirement from AFLW.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Yesterday: sad but not surprised or anything and cool satisfying way to check out. It makes sense, and I've had a couple faves bow out like that now so used to it.

This morning: what does this mean for the tv rights going forward?

I think C9 has all four slams in 2022, and we know C7 were after it to return recently. With Ash a credible threat at each slam, they were hoping they had a little homegrown Federer that would drive ratings to each of those slams, especially among casuals on finals weekend. We know historically that the FO and USO coverage here can be shaky, and so with Ash retiring they must be scrambling a little bit to rethink their approach and marketing. We have some other great players, but none anywhere near that status of Barty where you expect some second week action.

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
Well it's been done before in tennis.

And an almost identical example is Henin in 2008.

Henin had a lot more grand slams under the belt though with 7, by the time she retired.

Can't help but feel Ash has pulled the pin probably 2 years to early - but her call.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
I personally think she will look back on this and regret it later in life - she's only 25 and I think she is leaving at least 5 or 6 grand slam titles on the table, which puts her in the upper echelon of the sports great players.

If this is what she wants then good luck to Ash, but I'm just gutted as I love watching her play.

The rest of the womens tour will be breathing a sigh of relief, as none of them looked near her tbh.
100%. This has Bjor Borg written all over it.
Get the humble, graciousness of the decision but really feel this is a terrible life decision. Ability to win 10+ Majors is easily attainable given the lack of challengers. Osaka is cooked, Serena is old, Raducanu is inconsistent at this point of time.
The decision will be a big regret.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
I think Ash is one of those people that loves tennis (loves sport) but just loves playing it. A few trophies are nice but once she's achieved that it has no ongoing appeal for her. She's always been open about not liking the loneliness and the grind of the tour and being away from home so in that way it's no real surprise. I can't see her going into politics though.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This news today completely floored me.

Obviously, we've already seen that in her relatively short adult life, she's been confident to change direction, and move on to new challenges. And understandably, her future pursuits may be more concentrated towards her personal and family life, and that is admirable. I reckon it has been grossly rude and disrespectful from the people who are judging her, and making definitive assumptions about her, or what her actual intentions might be.

... The shock to me, has been more along the lines of how after all her hard work to reach the pinnacle of tennis, she has the courage to let it go and walk away... We rarely see champions willingly walk away from their sport prematurely, at or near the top. But we almost constantly see examples of sporting champions who cannot or will not let go.
Venus Williams springs to mind. Serena will be in that boat in 12-18 months if she doesn't get back onto the court. She's still capable of at least 1 more big run IMO, a last hurrah to equal the record. Could say the same for Federer too. I think the end is nigh but again 1 last run at Wimbledon to go out on a high.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Rafter retired at 28 while still a top 10 player. He is one Aussie player that can relate to this decision. Just made the Wimbledon final that year as well.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And she’s looking at you Mr Tight ass Morris….don’t wanna say ….she doesn’t put up with
NO Anti Fem HyperboLe/no misogyny any more..lol…she is a smart cat…:)

Munich

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
BVB, LVP
Henin had a lot more grand slams under the belt though with 7, by the time she retired.

Can't help but feel Ash has pulled the pin probably 2 years to early - but her call.

7 GSs in the slam race may as well be 3. At the time she was being heralded as the next goat.

Henin retiring was shocking. People just don't remember it as well for some reason.

Back