Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa
Here's an article on it from the Bully.

Ashcroft comes home to join GC17 staffNick Smart

October 14th, 2008

HIGHLY respected former Lions football operations manager Marcus Ashcroft will return to where it all began for him -- he is set to sign with the Gold Coast Football Club as an assistant coach.

The Brisbane Lions' games record holder and Gold Coast product knocked back the opportunity to replace Alan Richardson as Collingwood's development manager to take up the coveted role with GC17.

Have your say on the feedback form below

He is set to be one of two assistant coaches who will work with Gold Coast development coach and former Eagles great Guy McKenna.

While the two parties have agreed to terms, Ashcroft will not be confirmed officially until the GC17 bid team has its licence granted by the AFL Commission in two to three weeks' time.

With his experience and standing in football circles, Ashcroft was a wanted man following his departure from the Brisbane Lions last month.

Several Victorian clubs, including Richmond and especially Collingwood, wanted him.

But the Lions legend said he could not resist the chance to be a part of something special on the Coast.

"I had to make a decision either way because I had an offer at Collingwood that I knocked back for the Gold Coast," he said.

"I think it is a pretty good challenge starting something from scratch, and I looked at the Collingwood offer very closely.

"But I think getting here at the ground level and building from the base up is also a good challenge and something I am looking forward to."

Along with McKenna, Ashcroft attended the three-day GC17 testing camp at the Runaway Bay Sports Super Centre last weekend.

Forty three players were invited to the camp, including the seven contracted GC17 players, the remainder made up of players who will form the Gold Coast Football Club under-18 TAC Cup team next season.

A Surfers Paradise junior, Ashcroft attended Merrimac High and played QAFL with the Southport Sharks before making his VFL-AFL debut with Brisbane in 1989.

The Gold Coast has always been close to Ashcroft.

"I started with the Bears at Carrara and it is looking more likely like it will be the stadium going forward," said Ashcroft. "It is very exciting and it is a great opportunity to help build something from scratch.

"Hopefully we will get it to up to the level where we want it, and be very successful and play finals footy and ultimately win a premiership."

Ashcroft, who won three flags with Brisbane in his 318 games, was not wanted by the Lions after restructuring following the resignation of coach Leigh Matthews.

Back