Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Westend

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi guys thought I would start a Ashes thread.......sorry if we have one already

Wtf are they going on about ...thought it's only 8 weeks they tour Australia for. Its not our fault how they run there previous tours leading up to the Ashes.

If they do not want to come good send people who will..

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls

Wtf are they going on about ...thought it's only 8 weeks they tour Australia for. Its not our fault how they run there previous tours leading up to the Ashes.

I don't think KP (& Vaughany) are having a go at Cricket Australia, but rather the ECB, it's jam-packed scheduling & refusal to allow WAG's to tag along due to Covid restrictions. Tbh I agree with them, couldn't imagine being away from my wife & kids for four whole months.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

or we could just take a rational approach and have the player's family quarantine like the players.

This bubble nonsense can't go on for much longer

Westend

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think KP (& Vaughany) are having a go at Cricket Australia, but rather the ECB, it's jam-packed scheduling & refusal to allow WAG's to tag along due to Covid restrictions. Tbh I agree with them, couldn't imagine being away from my wife & kids for four whole months.

Yeah but that's the thing are the wives and kids going on the previous tours leading up to the Ashes which I believe is only 8 weeks ??? Or are they only choosing to go on the Ashes tour ??

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Yeah but that's the thing are the wives and kids going on the previous tours leading up to the Ashes which I believe is only 8 weeks ??? Or are they only choosing to go on the Ashes tour ??
I don't think they're allowed to come full stop. England must have another tour right before the Ashes series (World T20 maybe?) which stretches the whole thing out to four months overall.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Hermit Kingdom of Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Plenty of examples of film stars bringing family members out here while they're shooting in the past 12 months. Can't see why cricketers should be treated any differently.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Plenty of examples of film stars bringing family members out here while they're shooting in the past 12 months. Can't see why cricketers should be treated any differently.
yup does seem strange, though I believe the cricketers go into a bubble for 2 weeks where they can still train etc whereas film stars are just waiting on the list for hotel quaratine and going when their spot is available.

Hotel quaratine isn't as hard to get approved as you'd think by the way. My work has bought in a couple of people from the US and it was no problem.

Howard Littlejohn

Brownlow Medallist
May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne

ECB can't do much about the World T20 timing either, the multi-format players do have a long time away.
Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast for the forseeable future.

BaggyGreens

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
Due to quarantine restrictions, the Baggy Greens may lose Smith, Cummins, Starc and Warner from the Ashes warm up Hobart Test on November 27 if Australia reach the T20 World Cup final. Not worried losing Starc but the other three are vital to defending the Ashes.

Last edited:

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
Newcastle
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, WHam, Cronulla
Due to quarantine restrictions, the Baggy Greens may lose Smith, Cummins, Starc and Warner from the Ashes warm up Hobart Test on November 27 if Australia reach the T20 World Cup final. Not worried losing Starc but the other three are vital to defending the Ashes.
Calling a Test match a warm up match for another Test match really triggers me for some reason.

Cleavy

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't think this is something we'll have to worry about.

Hamingja

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BaggyGreens

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
Disagree. Every white ball side needs a Steve Smith or a Kane Williamson to steady the ship.. even in the 20 over format.
Calling a Test match a warm up match for another Test match really triggers me for some reason.
Cant think of anything other than a five day red ball match as being a better warm up for the Ashes. Beats some next to useless intra squad match. Perhaps my comment was a touch disrespectful to the Afghans.. but they are a Test minnow after all.

Last edited:

Hamingja

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Disagree. Every white ball side needs a Steve Smith or a Kane Williamson to steady the ship.. even in the 20 over format.
It would be ok if he batted 5. Batting at 3 just throws the team out because all our decent options are top order players. He hogs the spot at three and doesn't do anything special with it while we end up with top order bats playing at 5 and 6 who just destroy the momentum of the innings.

Hamingja

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Smith can rotate the strike though. We end up with players that are dot balls or boundary types coming in at the end and kills us everytime because the dot balls outnumber the boundaries until they have faced 20 balls.

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Well Anderson seems to be keen to remind everyone he can still bowl

Has 7/10 with Kent ‘recovering’ to 8/45 from 8/34 a short time ago.

yaco55

Hall of Famer
Jul 25, 2007
hong kong
AFL Club
Essendon
The Ashes tour is in some doubt because of quarantine requirements needed by medical authorities - Professional sports people have no intention of serving quarantine any longer, especially seeing they have been vaccinated.

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I’m an unashamed Anderson critic and think his bag of tricks hasn’t been nearly as good as some of the other fast bowling greats I’ve seen but credit where it is due, late in his career he’s found ways to be at least moderately effective away from England.

averaged 27 last trip here
Averaged 15 last time in India
Took a bag of 6 in an innings in his only test in Sri Lanka last time around
Averaged 19 in England last trip there
24 in the West Indies in a losing series
15 in his last series in the UAE

Just blanket saying that he is a non factor in Australia doesn’t really do justice to the ways he’s improved as a bowler when conditions aren’t ideal

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Australia lost to an Indian attack shorn of two their three best bowlers last summer.
The India comparison doesn't work IMO.

England just don't have the set up to produce bowlers who'll be effective on our wickets. It's telling that their only prospect who may is Jofra Archer.

Anderson is obviously an all time great but he'll be lucky to make it out here let alone play all 5 Tests. Broad has also been very hit and mess overseas recently and is approaching the end.

After that the stocks are very thin for bowlers who might have success here. There's no Siraj hanging around, there bowlers who will produce in England but will be cannon fodder anywhere else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad