17. Bryce Street
18. Sean Abbot
19. Mitchell Swepson
20. Mitchell Starc
21. Michael Neser
22. Henry Hunt
23. Jye Richardson
24. Ashton Agar

if Australia go into a test in tbe ashes or any test in Australia without a spinner I’ll spew up
When our spinners are bad I dont see the issue. New Zealand have played no spinner to great avail. Same with England when they have. Both sides are better when they dont play Bess/Leach and Santner.

When our spinners are bad I dont see the issue. New Zealand have played no spinner to great avail. Same with England when they have. Both sides are better when they dont play Bess/Leach and Santner.

lyon took 20 wickets@17 last time we played the kiwis, nz not having a proven frontline spinner does cost them in certain countries and us having lyon when nz tour here gives us a clear advantage.

Ashes Squad id pick.

1. Will Puvoski
2. David Warner
3. Marnus Laubschange
4. Steve Smith
5. Travis Head
6. Cameron Green
7. Tim Paine
8. Pat Cummins
9. James Pattinson
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Josh Hazlewood
12. Marcus Harris
13. Matt Renshaw
14. Alex Carey
15. Josh Inglis
16. Moises Henriques
17. Bryce Street
18. Sean Abbot
19. Mitchell Swepson
20. Mitchell Starc
21. Michael Neser
22. Henry Hunt
23. Jye Richardson
24. Ashton Agar
Preliminary squad you mean. All good other than Starc. He is now a passenger in our attack. I reckon also we have better, more consistent batsmen than Head and Harris. As Carey is odds on to take over the national gloves, give him a crack as a batsman only in Head's place. Glad you picked two blokes I too have earmarked for the future.. Hunt and Street plus I have not written off Renshaw either. I dont think Abbott is international standard. If looking for a second tier all rounder.. Jack Wildermuth has my vote. I also like Matt Scott. Ben McDermott has improved his red ball credentials too. So adding him in place of Head. What a pity we dont have any seasoned openers bashing down the door in the shield tho Hunt and Street are improving but are they ready for Test cricket? I'd take a punt on Street as this guy is a rock at the top. My point being shoudn't Pucovski be kept away from the quicker, harder new ball given his issues with concussion.. say bat him at#5. He'd be far more at ease against the older ball. Ben McDermott has improved his red ball credentials too so adding him to the squad. Harris has been an abject failure in Test cricket but CA will like that he is getting county runs at the moment so Hohns and his mates will choose him even tho he dont deserve it.

Last edited:
Then I need to follow the comments closer.
Four quicks in the Ashes? No Lyon.. sacrilegious. If we had a wristie such as Swepson against the Poms.. yes three quicks.. but Lyon is never gonna run thru a batting lineup and he rarely actually wins us games. He is steady and professional. So four quicks minus Lyon is ok with me too..
If our 3 best quicks don't get the job done then a 4th isn't going to make a difference, the gap between Cummins/Hazlewood and the other pace bowlers in the country is huge.

You don't pick a spinner in Australia to run through a batting lineup. You pick them to bowl in partnerships with the pacemen up the other end who then invariably reap the rewards of the spinner's hard work. That's what Lyon can do better, and for longer, than any other option on the table (be it pace or spin).

If our 3 best quicks don't get the job done then a 4th isn't going to make a difference, the gap between Cummins/Hazlewood and the other pace bowlers in the country is huge.

You don't pick a spinner in Australia to run through a batting lineup. You pick them to bowl in partnerships with the pacemen up the other end who then invariably reap the rewards of the spinner's hard work. That's what Lyon can do better, and for longer, than any other option on the table (be it pace or spin).

Nah I reckon the gap isn't that huge between Cummins/Hazelwood and the rest .....I would back Pattinson and Jhye Richardson to take Starc's spot for the first test and Neser is in the wings as well. Plus we are going to have Cameron Green who is using the entire preseason to work on his bowling. Biggest issue with the pace unit atm is that Starc has completely lost the radar and is bowling poorly.

I'am in the spinners camp always play a spinner not just 4 quicks...Lyon will go around again with Swepson a chance for the SCG test if its a turner

i think if Green plays and there is no reason he won't be, then he is your 4th quick and playing the customary 3 quicks and a spinner is a must.

we don't need 4 quicks plus green - besides slow over rates already cost us a spot in the WTC Final.

THis will be Paine's last series win or lose. I would say potentially the same for David Warner as well.
I think Paine let the cat out of the bag re his retirement last year didn't he.. after the Ashes? He has had a good run. Did his job after the scandal having the Baggy Green cap respected again.

But I do think we would function fine without him on decks that suit pace like the Gabba and Perth Stadium.
They don't suit pace, they suit batting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point being shoudn't Pucovski be kept away from the quicker, harder new ball given his issues with concussion.. say bat him at#5. He'd be far more at ease against the older ball.
You can cop a good bouncer at any point in an innings, hard ball or soft one. If he bats for long periods of time - as you have to do to play test cricket, regardless of what our middle, upper and lower order has been attempting recently - he's inevitably going to face a new hard ball against fresh bowlers.

If his concussion issues are that bad and he is that poor against the short ball, then he shouldn't be selected in the first place. If you're picking him, pick him where he suits the team; at the moment, that's opening.

I think Paine let the cat out of the bag re his retirement last year didn't he.. after the Ashes? He has had a good run. Did his job after the scandal having the Baggy Green cap respected again.
Fully agree. Paine's tenure has been relatively successful. Feel he has been very solid until match 2 of the India series.

Fully agree. Paine's tenure has been relatively successful. Feel he has been very solid until match 2 of the India series.
Spot on. That is one for all those Paine haters out there. You know scratchy.. the one thing those haters cant grasp is that Paine took on one of the hardest assignments in Test cricket.. captain/keeper. And despite the huge mental and physical burden it must have placed on him.. he has done a bloody good job.. until as you say 2nd India Test when I reckon the dual role finally flattened his mental resolve. We should all applaud Tim Paine for the enormous effort he has put in for our Baggy Greens on his watch. Still has the Ashes before he will almost certainly and deservedly hang up the gloves.

Last edited:
i think if Green plays and there is no reason he won't be, then he is your 4th quick and playing the customary 3 quicks and a spinner is a must.
Yep agree. Green's bowling will improve after such a long lay off with injury. Reason he did not play county or make himself available for the white ball tour now on is that he wanted to stay home and work on his bowling. I have no doubt Green will develop into a fine Test bowler. Did he not take a fivefer on debut at the WACA as an 18 year old.

They don't suit pace, they suit batting.
Both actually. All our decks suit the batsman just that those two provide our tall timber bowlers with that extra bounce that can create doubt in the batsman's mind and frankly.. can scare the crap out of him if you wizz the red cherry past his nose..

Handscomb :(

Lets hope Pete recovers like Mike Hussey has. Tell you what our footy bosses need to be worried about holding the League World Cup in the UK. They had upwards of 35K new cases every day past week, easing restrictions soon even going mask less in the street and they still have not reached herd immunity.

Last edited:
Yep agree. Green's bowling will improve after such a long lay off with injury. Reason he did not play county or make himself available for the white ball tour now on is that he wanted to stay home and work on his bowling. I have no doubt Green will develop into a fine Test bowler. Did he not take a fivefer on debut at the WACA as an 18 year old.

Don’t think green is a bowler tbh. Should focus on his batting. He can do 2-5 overs max

He took 5 for on debut in Hobart :)

Sorry Vaughnie but you can go suck a ****

No way we should postpone the Ashes to suit them because they cannot handle a schedule......if they want to prioritize white ball cricket over the ashes that's on them

Sorry Vaughnie but you can go suck a ****

No way we should postpone the Ashes to suit them because they cannot handle a schedule......if they want to prioritize white ball cricket over the ashes that's on them
Didn't realize England was prioritizing white ball cricket. Also, I think telling Vaughny to suck a dick just because he's thinking of players' mental welfare along with family issues is a bit one-eyed. I think Vaughan raised a very good point when he highlighted the fact that Australia had allowed seven of its players to skip the Windies tour for the exact same reason as what's being discussed here. Australia pulling its team out of the Rugby League World Cup was mentioned as well.

“Once you do that, you cannot blame other countries for refusing to go to Australia,” Vaughan said.

EDIT: You seem to have already had a go about this in the OP?

Last edited:
The Rugby League World Cup issue is irrelevant here.

This is mostly clickbait, but if somehow the government refuses to relax the rules here then some of the English players are within their right not to tour but we are not postponing the Ashes. If CA even thinks about bending the knee here then they can forget about me and a lot of other people attending any test matchs anytime soon.

Didn't realize England was prioritizing white ball cricket. Also, I think telling Vaughny to suck a dick just because he's thinking of players' mental welfare along with family issues is a bit one-eyed. I think Vaughan raised a very good point when he highlighted the fact that Australia had allowed seven of its players to skip the Windies tour for the exact same reason as what's being discussed here. Australia pulling its team out of the Rugby League World Cup was mentioned as well.

“Once you do that, you cannot blame other countries for refusing to go to Australia,” Vaughan said.

EDIT: You seem to have already had a go about this in the OP?

Well why don't they take there families to the world cup or any other tournaments that they are playing in ??? Why is is just Australia that they to take the families to ???...its not Australia's fault due to the amount of cricket england is playing. That's up to them to manage there players....if they want to send a 2nd rate english team...well that's up to them but to reschedule the Ashes to suit them when Australia has been managing there best players to play in the Ashes is wrong IMO.

Australia has been planning for the ashes by resting our players...

What has Rugby league world Cup got to do with it....do they play cricket ??? irrelevant IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back