Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi guys thought I would start a Ashes thread.......sorry if we have one already

Wtf are they going on about ...thought it's only 8 weeks they tour Australia for. Its not our fault how they run there previous tours leading up to the Ashes.

If they do not want to come good send people who will..

Wtf are they going on about ...thought it's only 8 weeks they tour Australia for. Its not our fault how they run there previous tours leading up to the Ashes.

I don't think KP (& Vaughany) are having a go at Cricket Australia, but rather the ECB, it's jam-packed scheduling & refusal to allow WAG's to tag along due to Covid restrictions. Tbh I agree with them, couldn't imagine being away from my wife & kids for four whole months.

or we could just take a rational approach and have the player's family quarantine like the players.

This bubble nonsense can't go on for much longer

I don't think KP (& Vaughany) are having a go at Cricket Australia, but rather the ECB, it's jam-packed scheduling & refusal to allow WAG's to tag along due to Covid restrictions. Tbh I agree with them, couldn't imagine being away from my wife & kids for four whole months.

Yeah but that's the thing are the wives and kids going on the previous tours leading up to the Ashes which I believe is only 8 weeks ??? Or are they only choosing to go on the Ashes tour ??

Yeah but that's the thing are the wives and kids going on the previous tours leading up to the Ashes which I believe is only 8 weeks ??? Or are they only choosing to go on the Ashes tour ??
I don't think they're allowed to come full stop. England must have another tour right before the Ashes series (World T20 maybe?) which stretches the whole thing out to four months overall.

Plenty of examples of film stars bringing family members out here while they're shooting in the past 12 months. Can't see why cricketers should be treated any differently.

Plenty of examples of film stars bringing family members out here while they're shooting in the past 12 months. Can't see why cricketers should be treated any differently.

yup does seem strange, though I believe the cricketers go into a bubble for 2 weeks where they can still train etc whereas film stars are just waiting on the list for hotel quaratine and going when their spot is available.

Hotel quaratine isn't as hard to get approved as you'd think by the way. My work has bought in a couple of people from the US and it was no problem.

ECB can't do much about the World T20 timing either, the multi-format players do have a long time away.
Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast for the forseeable future.

Due to quarantine restrictions, the Baggy Greens may lose Smith, Cummins, Starc and Warner from the Ashes warm up Hobart Test on November 27 if Australia reach the T20 World Cup final. Not worried losing Starc but the other three are vital to defending the Ashes.
Calling a Test match a warm up match for another Test match really triggers me for some reason.

Due to quarantine restrictions, the Baggy Greens may lose Smith, Cummins, Starc and Warner from the Ashes warm up Hobart Test on November 27 if Australia reach the T20 World Cup final. Not worried losing Starc but the other three are vital to defending the Ashes.

I don't think this is something we'll have to worry about.

Disagree. Every white ball side needs a Steve Smith or a Kane Williamson to steady the ship.. even in the 20 over format.

It would be ok if he batted 5. Batting at 3 just throws the team out because all our decent options are top order players. He hogs the spot at three and doesn't do anything special with it while we end up with top order bats playing at 5 and 6 who just destroy the momentum of the innings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Ashes tour is in some doubt because of quarantine requirements needed by medical authorities - Professional sports people have no intention of serving quarantine any longer, especially seeing they have been vaccinated.

Was.

he averaged 27 here last time - pink ball tests make him a factor.

Still is, England won't have an attack to take 20 wickets even with a poor Aussie Line Up and the batting is far worse than Australia.

I’m an unashamed Anderson critic and think his bag of tricks hasn’t been nearly as good as some of the other fast bowling greats I’ve seen but credit where it is due, late in his career he’s found ways to be at least moderately effective away from England.

averaged 27 last trip here
Averaged 15 last time in India
Took a bag of 6 in an innings in his only test in Sri Lanka last time around
Averaged 19 in England last trip there
24 in the West Indies in a losing series
15 in his last series in the UAE

Just blanket saying that he is a non factor in Australia doesn’t really do justice to the ways he’s improved as a bowler when conditions aren’t ideal

Australia lost to an Indian attack shorn of two their three best bowlers last summer.

The India comparison doesn't work IMO.

England just don't have the set up to produce bowlers who'll be effective on our wickets. It's telling that their only prospect who may is Jofra Archer.

Anderson is obviously an all time great but he'll be lucky to make it out here let alone play all 5 Tests. Broad has also been very hit and mess overseas recently and is approaching the end.

After that the stocks are very thin for bowlers who might have success here. There's no Siraj hanging around, there bowlers who will produce in England but will be cannon fodder anywhere else.

The India comparison doesn't work IMO.

England just don't have the set up to produce bowlers who'll be effective on our wickets. It's telling that their only prospect who may is Jofra Archer.

Anderson is obviously an all time great but he'll be lucky to make it out here let alone play all 5 Tests. Broad has also been very hit and mess overseas recently and is approaching the end.

After that the stocks are very thin for bowlers who might have success here. There's no Siraj hanging around, there bowlers who will produce in England but will be cannon fodder anywhere else.

You mean aside from wood who is as quick as Mitchell Starc and 6cm taller than Siraj.

will they come here and run through Australia? Probably not. I don’t think they’re any less credentialed than any other side that’s come here recently not called south africa

With Shield form obviously to play a role, I think we come into the summer with this squad
1. Warner
2. Pucovski
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Green
7. Paine
8. Neser
9. Cummins
10. Hazlewood
11. Swepson/Pattinson

12. Best performing shield batsmen
13. Inglis or Carey
14. Pattinson/Swepson
15. Lyon

Mitchell Starc cannot be anywhere near the squad come the gabba test. He needs to play in the shield and find his mojo. Nathan Lyon is another I've elected to drop as the gabba (not last year) is often a lively wicket which could mean 4 pacers could be the way to go. I have however elected to give Swepson the nod over Pattinson as it is his home deck and we need to find a spinner for the next 5 years and he could be that guy. I'd rather him have a go now. THis will be Paine's last series win or lose. I would say potentially the same for David Warner as well.

With Shield form obviously to play a role, I think we come into the summer with this squad
1. Warner
2. Pucovski
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Green
7. Paine
8. Neser
9. Cummins
10. Hazlewood
11. Swepson/Pattinson

12. Best performing shield batsmen
13. Inglis or Carey
14. Pattinson/Swepson
15. Lyon

Mitchell Starc cannot be anywhere near the squad come the gabba test. He needs to play in the shield and find his mojo. Nathan Lyon is another I've elected to drop as the gabba (not last year) is often a lively wicket which could mean 4 pacers could be the way to go. I have however elected to give Swepson the nod over Pattinson as it is his home deck and we need to find a spinner for the next 5 years and he could be that guy. I'd rather him have a go now. THis will be Paine's last series win or lose. I would say potentially the same for David Warner as well.

if Australia go into a test in tbe ashes or any test in Australia without a spinner I’ll spew up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back