Ashes 2021/22

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Considering Head is currently 130 not out and dominated in the Sheffield Shield last year, what else would you expect him to do?

He's a good Shield player but he isn't up to it as Test level, as has been demonstrated. There are always these kinds of batsmen, often from SA.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
He's a good Shield player but he isn't up to it as Test level, as has been demonstrated. There are always these kinds of batsmen, often from SA.
How has that been demonstrated? He's still early in his career. Only 27 years old.

Looked good making 162 today.

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
fu** you for forcing me to defend Shaun Marsh.

Marsh has had 68 innings; from those 68 innings, he's bat at 5 22 times at an average of 42.55; it's better than the majority of options in that position, and there is no reason to believe it wouldn't be better if he had been allowed to settle into the team at 5, rather than trying him 43 times opening or at 3-4. He's too old now, but to no small extent he's been f’ed around by a CA who have wanted an all rounder at 6 and gave him nothing resembling consistency or his optimum batting position.

It's a testament to how sh*t the shield and Australian batting development that he's still there, hasn't retired or transitioned to coaching or something else yet.

He was unlucky only once from memory. Scored a ton against SA away and got canned two Tests later so we could keep Doolan in the side who was justifiably dropped a few games later.

He's a solid player but he can't be considered unlucky because we didn't arrange the whole team around him batting at 5. Got a pretty decent run at various points and his experience counted for pretty much naught in India away + India at home. Played some very good individual innings but unfortunately could never really put together a consistent run of form.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
He was unlucky only once from memory. Scored a ton against SA away and got canned two Tests later so we could keep Doolan in the side who was justifiably dropped a few games later.

He's a solid player but he can't be considered unlucky because we didn't arrange the whole team around him batting at 5. Got a pretty decent run at various points and his experience counted for pretty much naught in India away + India at home. Played some very good individual innings but unfortunately could never really put together a consistent run of form.
I don't disagree with any part of that. What I was objecting to is the notion that Head is immediately a better option than Marsh is, even now when he's 38.

I will say, though, that we had Smith fixed at 4, Warner at 2; there's no reason Marsh couldn't have spent an entire career at 5 or 6, if it worked. But him, Maxwell, Khawaja all got ****ed around by a complete lack of consistancy in team role or batting position, and we've paid the price in wondering where the runs are going to come from.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Moeen Ali has retired from Test cricket so we can rule out seeing him in the Ashes. Him playing was probably my only hope of catching a ball at the top of the Victor Richardson Stand (assuming I'm allowed into the great state of South Australia).

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Moeen Ali has retired from Test cricket so we can rule out seeing him in the Ashes. Him playing was probably my only hope of catching a ball at the top of the Victor Richardson Stand (assuming I'm allowed into the great state of South Australia).

As if 2021 hasn't been bad enough for the worlds batmen, more disappointing news that this pie chucker is calling it quits.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Test XI

Warner
Pucovski
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Paine (C)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Pretty much picks itself. Last series for Paine - then Inglis? Starc is a question mark, but we probably need the variety.
If the left arm is that "variety", it might be time to switch to Joel Paris if he puts together a few good Shield games.
I wasn't big on him a couple of years back, but he stepped up recently and Starc's multiday form has done the opposite.

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looking likely Perth misses out on another test this year 😑. Apparently several English players are not likely to fly over due to family and quarantine requirements. It will probably be a second rate series as a result.

They just won't go to perth for the final test. If it remains the status quo.

They should play it in tassie if borders between NSW and WA still closed in mid january seeing as they will miss out on Afghan test.

magpiemaniac44

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars
The vaccination rates will be higher enough by then that larger crowds should be back and more borders have opened. Victoria shouldn't have to give up the Boxing Day test IF it can have substantial crowds, that's on WA to figure out.

We've said for ages now that McGowan's stance on borders, whether it is right or wrong is going to impact WA getting events if they're still blocking off travel from other states going into next year, because I doubt over here in East we will get back down to 0 cases again.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,

interesting
Everything I’m hearing suggests CA will say bad luck and Hobart have put their hand up for the final test. CA needs to give Perth a ultimatum and in no way should adjust the schedule for them.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
The vaccination rates will be higher enough by then that larger crowds should be back and more borders have opened. Victoria shouldn't have to give up the Boxing Day test IF it can have substantial crowds, that's on WA to figure out.

We've said for ages now that McGowan's stance on borders, whether it is right or wrong is going to impact WA getting events if they're still blocking off travel from other states going into next year, because I doubt over here in East we will get back down to 0 cases again.
Yep, it ain’t getting to zero again. All the states will eventually have to open up to each and that’s fine if WA wants to stay a hermit state but they need to realise it will prevent them hosting some sporting events and possibly even the AFL next year

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Yep, it ain’t getting to zero again. All the states will eventually have to open up to each and that’s fine if WA wants to stay a hermit state but they need to realise it will prevent them hosting some sporting events and possibly even the AFL next year
Hermit state?

You do remember we hosted the grand final three days ago, yeah?

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hermit state?

You do remember we hosted the grand final three days ago, yeah?
Yes you hosted a GF with stringent quarantine regulations and had to have a week in between the Prelim to allow it to go ahead. This can’t and won’t happen going forward and as I said it’s fine if that’s what you want to do. The rest of Australia is opening up and some states will do it at their own pace but a fair chunk of Australia will be travelling between states by Christmas and International flights will start ramping up. McGowan has hinted numerous times that it could be months into next year before you are open to all states and the rest of us can’t wait. If that means you have to miss out on a few events I’m sure you and the public of WA will understand

big_e

Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Yes you hosted a GF with stringent quarantine regulations and had to have a week in between the Prelim to allow it to go ahead. This can’t and won’t happen going forward and as I said it’s fine if that’s what you want to do. The rest of Australia is opening up and some states will do it at their own pace but a fair chunk of Australia will be travelling between states by Christmas and International flights will start ramping up. McGowan has hinted numerous times that it could be months into next year before you are open to all states and the rest of us can’t wait. If that means you have to miss out on a few events I’m sure you and the public of WA will understand
Easily sorted by having England fly to Perth, do two weeks quarantine at Joondalup, be allowed out for training and intra-squad matches, day 15 they have a warm up game vs WA, maybe two. And then the first test in front of a full house.

From there they can play travel around freely, it gives the best chance of playing in front of crowds everywhere else, you keep Boxing Day and the New Year's Test as normal and everyone wins.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Easily sorted by having England fly to Perth, do two weeks quarantine at Joondalup, be allowed out for training and intra-squad matches, day 15 they have a warm up game vs WA, maybe two. And then the first test in front of a full house.

From there they can play travel around freely, it gives the best chance of playing in front of crowds everywhere else, you keep Boxing Day and the New Year's Test as normal and everyone wins.
CA already telling folk that the schedule won’t change and that if WA lose the test that’s up to them. Hobart already looking at being parachuted in. According to my SACA source the WA government has been given 2 weeks to agree to quarantine free or lose it
Will be interesting to see if the WA sides need to hub for AFL next year too

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

* that, if WA want to dig their heals in Tassie can host the test

big_e

Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
CA already telling folk that the schedule won’t change and that if WA lose the test that’s up to them. Hobart already looking at being parachuted in. According to my SACA source the WA government has been given 2 weeks to agree to quarantine free or lose it
Will be interesting to see if the WA sides need to hub for AFL next year too
If CA want to blow a massive hole in their budgets that's up to them, too.

Having the grand final in front of a full house made shitloads of cash for the AFL, and a Perth Ashes test going into prime time on the east coast seems a no-brainer.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. These arrangements are not hard to change.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
If CA want to blow a massive hole in their budgets that's up to them, too.

Having the grand final in front of a full house made shitloads of cash for the AFL, and a Perth Ashes test going into prime time on the east coast seems a no-brainer.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. These arrangements are not hard to change.
Australian players want no quarantine into Perth either so unless exemptions are given I can’t see it going ahead

big_e

Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Australian players want no quarantine into Perth either so unless exemptions are given I can’t see it going ahead
Modified exemptions like the AFL teams got. They were still allowed out to train, etc during their two weeks.

It's a reasonable compromise. WA Government still gets to say "they're in quarantine!" and players still get to do the required work. And frankly, if they do intra squad matches, they're basically out of the hotel for the vast majority of the day anyway.

And once they've done their two weeks in WA, that's it - they can pretty much travel around the rest of the country freely.

Back