Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

No where near Khawaja. Has potential and is exciting for the future but Khawaja record as an opener is very impressive.
Oh, I thought we were talking about for the upcoming series, not the past.

Will Pucovski is better

No where near Khawaja. Has potential and is exciting for the future but Khawaja record as an opener is very impressive.

Have a feeling Khawaja wouldn't be the best player to be around, and his style of batting would be annoying. Seems to run half paced when the other bloke hits the ball and his fielding whilst it isn't as awful it still is pretty average.

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast

and thats my argument....record at test level is good as an opener so why not give himself the best opportunity and open in the shield ??

but as Luke has said I think the opportunity has past him and the selectors have moved on

but I also like Will in the team and would love to see him as a long term opener barring injuries

India have more depth and talent then anyone in the world.

They could have there B team play test cricket and still wipe the floor with most teams

Not having Wade spudding it will help too. Plus Starc was half fit all summer last year.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Interesting when you break down the English team:

Burns
Hameed
Crawley
Malan
Root
Lawrence

Butler
Bairstow
Pope

Bess
Leach

Woakes
Overton
Robinson
Broad
Wood
Anderson

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Have a feeling Khawaja wouldn't be the best player to be around, and his style of batting would be annoying. Seems to run half paced when the other bloke hits the ball and his fielding whilst it isn't as awful it still is pretty average.

Are some here really talking about gong back to Khawaja - FMD!, I rather pick Matty Hayden if he announced a comeback..?

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Are some here really talking about gong back to Khawaja - FMD!, I rather pick Matty Hayden if he announced a comeback..?

goes to show the lack of genuine batsmen around the country.

we have smith, warner, labuschagne and daylight.

i think green and puckovski can be elite players over time, so there's 2 that i think we've found.

we have to stop picking wicketkeepers who think they can bat or these bits and pieces allrounders in the test arena.

the likes of kwahaja are our next best bats. not sure we will revisit this though.
hopefully 1 or 2 can emerge this summer and the next in the shield.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s a shame. He’ll be 35 when the tests starts. He’ll never be in a leadership role in the team ever again. He’s become a bit of a listclogger in the opening batsman role now it seems.

Guess the issue is if we do drop him who comes in if Burns is the alternative I’m still picking Warner least he’s good in the field

??

Bit harsh ....still averages 48 in test cricket and has very good test record in Australia

If he has shocking series maybe but deserves a spot atm

His record against Broad is flipping trash! Don’t tell me they won’t just bowl Broad at him and he won’t last long…he’s also coming off a pathetic IPL. Yeah I know it’s only IPL but he failed coming off a good IPL last time…it’s worse! Watch him not play a shield match too! This is gunna go swell

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
His record against Broad is flipping trash! Don’t tell me they won’t just bowl Broad at him and he won’t last long…he’s also coming off a pathetic IPL. Yeah I know it’s only IPL but he failed coming off a good IPL last time…it’s worse! Watch him not play a shield match too! This is gunna go swell

Yeah in England it is....and who knows if Broad will play in the first test. He did not play in England's last test against India

Yeah in England it is....and who knows if Broad will play in the first test. He did not play in England's last test against India

Warner’s only chance is if Broad doesn’t ply because he won’t last more than 20 balls if he does! Problem is there’s no one better.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
Guess the issue is if we do drop him who comes in if Burns is the alternative I’m still picking Warner least he’s good in the field
I’m watching a young left handed batsman playing for Queensland, Bryce Street. He’s from my hometown in NSW. He and Will Pucovski would make a great young and dynamic opening partnership. They’re both 23 yo.

I’m watching a young left handed batsman playing for Queensland, Bryce Street. He’s from my hometown in NSW. He and Will Pucovski would make a great young and dynamic opening partnership. They’re both 23 yo.

He’d be the one but he need more than 1 innings on an utter road to convince me. Blind Freddy was making runs there. Good innings and good temperament but he did this last year and went through a lean patch. Needs to back up the hundred with another one at least

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Interesting when you break down the English team:

Burns
Hameed
Crawley
Malan
Root
Lawrence

Butler
Bairstow
Pope

Bess
Leach

Woakes
Overton
Robinson
Broad
Wood
Anderson

their last XI was : burns, hameed, malan, root, pope, bairstow, ali (retired), woakes, overton, robinson, anderson

so it'll be intersesting to see which way they go to start the series

their last XI was : burns, hameed, malan, root, pope, bairstow, ali (retired), woakes, overton, robinson, anderson

so it'll be intersesting to see which way they go to start the series

Surely Broad plays and you need speed in Australian wickets with Mark Wood.

toml

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The only real reason I can see the benefit of going back to someone like Khawaja as a stop gap opener is to ease Pucovski in to test cricket down the order. I'm of the opinion that Puc will end up in the middle order in the test side anyway eventually provided we can find an opener of 2 over the coming years.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
I would still go with Khawaja opening and Pucovski at 5
If you want Pucovski to be a future opening batsman you have to play him there and support him. I don’t think pushing him down the batting order would help him much. They’re different team roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back