Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Shocking news, was my favourite player and significantly underused. If he was given an opportunity he'd be a lock in the test team, he always had a knack of picking up big wickets. Does this mean he is going to focus on white ball stuff for Australia? I guess it also means he'll retire from the Shield as well.

Hopefully Jhye can get a significant run of games and challenge for a test spot.

the article said he wants to play Shield and BBL.

Mitch Starc now a lock 😀😀

Now for Mitch Marsh to have a good World Cup to get a test recall 😂😂

Wouldn't be the 1st time a player has been picked in the test team on limited overs form.

With Langer being one third of the selection panel you never know especially with his favourite WA players.

How langer got Bancroft in at Edgbaston in 2019 was an absolute debacle. I couldn't believe it when i heard his name called out he was playing walking into the ground that day.

Harris hasnt done himself any favours but that decision completely stuffed him i reckon mentally he hasn't been the same player at international level since.

good topic for a thread. simon jones and mohammad asif immediately come to mind.

Asif’s bowling could make me drool. I love watching blokes bowl fast and angry and aggressive as much as the next bloke but players like Asif and Philander, while flawed in that they needed things to be at least a little bit in their favour as far as swing or the pitch goes, were just poetry to watch. Like herath on a spinning pitch where he’s not spinning it but the threat is there - yeah you know the conditions are helping him but you also know there are precious few bowlers on the planet who could exploit them the way those guys could

good topic for a thread. simon jones and mohammad asif immediately come to mind.
I think Ryan Harris would have been our best quick since McGrath (until Cummins' last few years) if his body didn't let him down.

Rhino was very reliable, but also seriously good at his best. Will never forget him bowling 24 overs in the second innings and ultimately getting Australia over the line in the final Test of the 2014 tour of South Africa a week before he was booked in for knee surgery.

An absolute shame he will retire with just the 21 tests to his name after debuting in the same test as Starc who now has 61 tests to his name.

He had the talent and well and truly proved he belonged at the top level. If he had enjoyed a full career I have no doubt he would have ended up in Australia's top ten bowlers of all time and not out of the realms of possibility he would have had a career record to rival the great DK Lillee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One Tele scribe has Sean Abbott as a likely replacement for Patto in our Ashes squad. Neser, Steketee probably, Jhye Richardson definitely if fit.. but Abbott @33.4 FC. He is also not an all rounder @23 with bat. Starc almost averages that. Patto added raw aggression to his bowling. Who do we have in state cricket that has a similar trait.

One Tele scribe has Sean Abbott as a likely replacement for Patto in our Ashes squad. Neser, Steketee probably, Jhye Richardson definitely if fit.. but Abbott @33.4 FC. He is also not an all rounder @23 with bat. Starc almost averages that. Patto added raw aggression to his bowling. Who do we have in state cricket that has a similar trait.
To be fair last year last year he made 570 runs at 63 with 1 100 and 5 50s while taking 21 wickets at 29

Abbott in Sheffield Shield cricket since 2018/19 (i.e. last 3 seasons):

1030 runs @ 42.91
72 wickets @ 25.75

Has had a great 2-3 years to be fair and was around the squad last year. Not as far away as you think. Richardson is the one but is he fit? Lasted 2 overs of bowling in the Shield.

An absolute shame he will retire with just the 21 tests to his name after debuting in the same test as Starc who now has 61 tests to his name.

He had the talent and well and truly proved he belonged at the top level. If he had enjoyed a full career I have no doubt he would have ended up in Australia's top ten bowlers of all time and not out of the realms of possibility he would have had a career record to rival the great DK Lillee.

He was a very good bowler and injury disrupted his continuity but we will never know - what we can look at is his record against the three best sides he played against - he took 41 wickets at over 30 against India, South Africa and England so I think a comparison to Lillee is a bit of a stretch

He bowled 14 overs yesterday.

Fair enough didn't see yesterday (was atching the WBBL), still he broke down in the first innings, that's not something that is a good thing. There isn't a rush though because lets be real Starc, Cummins and Hazelwood with Lyon is our attack this summer barring injuries. Jyhe has time to get match fit.

He was a very good bowler and injury disrupted his continuity but we will never know - what we can look at is his record against the three best sides he played against - he took 41 wickets at over 30 against India, South Africa and England so I think a comparison to Lillee is a bit of a stretch
I'm not sure why his matches against 2019 England are considered the best side whereas his matches against 2019 NZ aren't.

He was also bowling injured in 2 of his 3 matches v SA. Which is the whole point. Injuries affected his current record let alone what he could have been.

I'm not sure why his matches against 2019 England are considered the best side whereas his matches against 2019 NZ aren't.

He was also bowling injured in 2 of his 3 matches v SA. Which is the whole point. Injuries affected his current record let alone what he could have been.

We will never know just joins a lists of unfulfilled talents. A good bowler but his action was awful and it was never going to last long. These "mixed" actions are a receipt for disaster and having back issues myself from my action as a teen here injuries hurt like hell!

He played 2 of his five tests against NZ in 19-20 and he bowled well enough taking 3-34, 3-35, then 0-58, 0-8
Average of 23 across 6 wickets. Certainly very good against a good side, though for a two match sample size also not earth shattering.

Against England he played 4 tests. Two against the rather ordinary 2019 version - he took 5-167 - and two against the KP/Cook version in 2013 where he bagged 7-307.

Against SA, in two of his tests, he bowled 34, 19, 18.5 (took the last wicket) and 27 overs across the four innnings.

In those two tests he took 9-290.

There is no metric we can look at and make any sort of speculation that he had a Lillee-esque career in front of him.

He played 2 of his five tests against NZ in 19-20 and he bowled well enough taking 3-34, 3-35, then 0-58, 0-8
Average of 23 across 6 wickets. Certainly very good against a good side, though for a two match sample size also not earth shattering.

Against England he played 4 tests. Two against the rather ordinary 2019 version - he took 5-167 - and two against the KP/Cook version in 2013 where he bagged 7-307.

Against SA, in two of his tests, he bowled 34, 19, 18.5 (took the last wicket) and 27 overs across the four innnings.

In those two tests he took 9-290.

There is no metric we can look at and make any sort of speculation that he had a Lillee-esque career in front of him.
In this one he's quoted as saying he was bowling through huge amounts of pain (same as Ryan Harris) and couldn't bowl for 9 months afterwards as he had stress fractures in his back. Which is why I wrote he bowled injured.

To be fair last year last year he made 570 runs at 63 with 1 100 and 5 50s while taking 21 wickets at 29
Yes he did. His only decent season in seven. I like you pushed this bloke's barrow when he first burst onto the scene. If he can follow up last season then I may change my tune. I saw many of those runs and they were made on roads. Sabba is best suited to the shorter formats. So expect him to be on short list when our ODI squad comes up for discussion.

corbies said:

Abbott in Sheffield Shield cricket since 2018/19 (i.e. last 3 seasons):

1030 runs @ 42.91
72 wickets @ 25.75
His last year inflates those figures
18/19- 225 @23, 19/20 - 231 @38, 20/21 550 @63.
18/19- 37 @22, 19/20 -14 @30, 20/21 -21 at @29.
I said he has had one good season and those figures bear that out. So in three seasons he has been excellent with the ball once and once with the bat. Is that the consistency required for Test cricket in your book. Betting he'd like to have his bowling figures from 18/19 to go with his batting figures of 20/21.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back