Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes he did. His only decent season in seven. I like you pushed this bloke's barrow when he first burst onto the scene. If he can follow up last season then I may change my tune. I saw many of those runs and they were made on roads. Sabba is best suited to the shorter formats. So expect him to be talked about when our ODI squad comes up for discussion.
Look I agree that he needs to back it up. One good summer doesn’t make a cricketer

In this one he's quoted as saying he was bowling through huge amounts of pain (same as Ryan Harris) and couldn't bowl for 9 months afterwards as he had stress fractures in his back. Which is why I wrote he bowled injured.

I get it, it stopped him reaching his best. But at any rate I think comparison’s to Lillee are no more well founded than comparing Vinod Kambli to Sachin Tendulkar really. It’s pure speculation and there is nothing that really jumps out as saying he was going to be at THAT level, even though he was clearly very good

I get it, it stopped him reaching his best. But at any rate I think comparison’s to Lillee are no more well founded than comparing Vinod Kambli to Sachin Tendulkar really. It’s pure speculation and there is nothing that really jumps out as saying he was going to be at THAT level, even though he was clearly very good
That's fine but I know you don't put the same caveats on someone like Shane Bond despite his record against Australia. 20 wickets @ 31 against the 3 best sides he played against (Australia, South Africa, India). Averaged nearly 100 against Australia.

For good reason too, he was a sensational bowler who could have been the best NZ bowler ever. We acknowledge this because we have eyes despite the metrics against the best from a small sample size being poor.

That's fine but I know you don't put the same caveats on someone like Shane Bond despite his record against Australia. 20 wickets @ 31 against the 3 best sides he played against (Australia, South Africa, India). Averaged nearly 100 against Australia.

For good reason too, he was a sensational bowler who could have been the best NZ bowler ever. We acknowledge this because we have eyes despite the metrics against the best from a small sample size being poor.

No I actually do. Bond had huge potential and probably would have been unbelievable based on the fact that he routinely destroyed an Australian OdI team who were just as strong as their test equivalent BUT he didn’t do it in tests so even the small sample size we have I don’t think is enough to say it outright

They'' have to ask who is dropped for him? Cummins (next captain so no), starc, hazelwood, lyon.

yeah good point - for me neser is a better player in any case and deserves a shot first if an opportunity presents.

i'm not interested in either batting at 7 and pushing the keeper to 6 though - it's time starc stands up or else.

Shocking news, was my favourite player and significantly underused. If he was given an opportunity he'd be a lock in the test team, he always had a knack of picking up big wickets. Does this mean he is going to focus on white ball stuff for Australia? I guess it also means he'll retire from the Shield as well.

Hopefully Jhye can get a significant run of games and challenge for a test spot.
Was silly last summer when Starc was picked ahead of him when Starc clearly out of form.

Yeah, Jhye Richardson is our best option now Patto retired.

Patto now in the Bruce Reid category of player never played anywhere near amount of Tests you would hope for their talent as cursed with injuries for much of their careers. There was a time I feared Cummins would suffer the same fate but thankfully last three or four years he avoided the injuries that took away early part of his career.

Both Starc and Alyssa Healy have said that Starc didn't want to be playing cricket last summer as his Dad was dying and passed away during the season. Leaving aside the fact of how bad it is that someone is playing a Test match who isn't really there and also how bewildering it was from management to continue to pick him, I don't think you can completely write him off as a Test bowler based off how he bowled last summer.

Both Starc and Alyssa Healy have said that Starc didn't want to be playing cricket last summer as his Dad was dying and passed away during the season. Leaving aside the fact of how bad it is that someone is playing a Test match who isn't really there and also how bewildering it was from management to continue to pick him, I don't think you can completely write him off as a Test bowler based off how he bowled last summer.

understandable that he didn’t want to brr we there with what he was going through but surely there is an onus on him to say that he’s not right to play?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like someone making excuses, there is no way they would make him play if he didn’t want to play

He has been poor for years, it’s time we cut our losses and moved on

understandable that he didn’t want to brr we there with what he was going through but surely there is an onus on him to say that he’s not right to play?
He wouldn’t of said anything as he knew he would likely never get his spot back if someone else played the 4 tests

It looks like he is going to do a massive revamp of his batting. Being on a tour probably isn't the best place for that.
Playing in overseas conditions is going to force you to adapt and change. Way better getting centre wicket practice in Australia then hitting balls out of the bowling machine at the indoor nets in the UK

Playing in overseas conditions is going to force you to adapt and change. Way better getting centre wicket practice in Australia then hitting balls out of the bowling machine at the indoor nets in the UK
Not if you're trying to massively tweak your technique with coaches you may not even know that well.

He's already been on a Lions tour here and scored a lot of runs with the technique that has failed at test level. Guess he is trying something different.

Not if you're trying to massively tweak your technique with coaches you may not even know that well.

He's already been on a Lions tour here and scored a lot of runs with the technique that has failed at test level. Guess he is trying something different.
Anyone can hit the bowling machine one of the most overrated things. Get out and play in match conditions. The bowling machine just puts them on the same spot anyone who has half a clue can look like a super start batting to one of them

Batsmen change and fine tune their techniques with bowling machines every day.

What he is currently doing isn't working, so he is changing things up, which means he's going to take a winter revamping his batting with his coach/s. I really don't see what the big issue is.

Stokes is now a full time twitch streamer so he wont be on tour. Big loss for us and ends any chance we had.

The rest of the squad is what you would expect from Silverwood. No insight whatsoever into player talent ,yet he is head coach and selector.
Lost 7 out of the last 9 tests under his guidance. Im surprised he didnt recall Gary Ballance .

Khawaja and Warner as openers please.
Warner needs to retire. He has nothing to offer as an opening batsman anymore. He won’t though whilst his mates keep talking him up.
He will only be dropped when he becomes embarrassingly bad.
How about now Cricket Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back