Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

It's super hard to remodel your batting at 26. But if there was ever a case for it being a necessity for an international cricketer, Dom Sibley is the one. Rory Burns a pretty close second. That was a real test of cricketing faith watching those two open the batting together.

So sibley gets left out of the squad - rightly - and then declines a spot in the Lions tour to work on his technique.

Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me

Considering players like Steven Finn had their careers ruined by not taking that time to step away from the set up and work with the right people I'd say it's a mature decision.

Really sad Stokes isn't coming, sounds like he's struggling mentally but I feel like we are missing out on what should have been the best years of the greatest modern players with Smith barely playing in the last 4 years and now Stokes missing multiple big Test series.

It's super hard to remodel your batting at 26. But if there was ever a case for it being a necessity for an international cricketer, Dom Sibley is the one. Rory Burns a pretty close second. That was a real test of cricketing faith watching those two open the batting together.
I think Mark Butcher did it at about 28 with pretty good results. His dad was his coach too.

Warner needs to retire. He has nothing to offer as an opening batsman anymore. He won’t though whilst his mates keep talking him up.
He will only be dropped when he becomes embarrassingly bad.
How about now Cricket Australia?
Who opens then? Pucovski and ??? While I agree we should move on from Warner we don’t have anyone demanding that spot

I think if someone’s game has completely fallen apart then fair enough go back and start from scratch. Sibley didn’t have much game to begin with to be fair.

But given that he was fairly entrenched in the side until recently I’d have thought his best bet would be to tour, be around bowlers who are fringe international quality in the nets all the time, and regularly face fringe international quality in the middle in unfamiliar conditions.

Who opens then? Pucovski and ??? While I agree we should move on from Warner we don’t have anyone demanding that spot

Unlikely young Pucvovski should/will actually be permitted to play given his 10th recent concussion incident. I means the kid has now almost reached a stage where a loud noise causes him to lose his balance..!

Sadly, time for him to move on and pursue another sport me thinks...

I think if someone’s game has completely fallen apart then fair enough go back and start from scratch. Sibley didn’t have much game to begin with to be fair.

But given that he was fairly entrenched in the side until recently I’d have thought his best bet would be to tour, be around bowlers who are fringe international quality in the nets all the time, and regularly face fringe international quality in the middle in unfamiliar conditions.
I mean if he is doing this he clearly thinks his game is nowhere close to being enough to be a permanent international player.

The conditions are not that unfamiliar to him. He was on the last Lions tour here less than 2 years ago and scored 2 tons. Hasn't really helped him.

Being on tour, having to travel, field and probably be with coaches he doesn't know that well who won't be able to just focus on him instead of working with coaches who know him and will be able to work day in, day out with him is probably the better option for him right now.

Unlikely young Pucvovski should/will actually be permitted to play given his 10th recent concussion incident. I means the kid has now almost reached a stage where a loud noise causes him to lose his balance..!

Sadly, time for him to move on and pursue another sport me thinks...
He has been cleared to play in the shield. It’s his life he knows what the risks are if he feels he needs to retire I would support that if he wants to keep playing till his 35 I would equally support that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I simply can’t get excited for this series. One good bowling attack. One mediocre one. One mediocre batting line up. One really poor one. Doesn’t scream classic
Everyone's got entirely too much confidence in the Australian batting.

I don't think it'll be one sided at all. All England have to do to beat us is dismiss Warner, Labuschagne and Smith for under 150 runs; it would require someone else contributing for us to get more than that, and the rest of our batting is good at best for 50-200 runs, but mostly 90.

All they need to do is not collapse with the bat and come with workable plans for our best 3 bats, and they're a shot.

People said, in '89, that we were the worst Australian side to visit their shores. Wonder how the next 20 years worked out, hmm?

The Ashes groundsman will just prepare roads and we wont have enough penetration to take wickets. We will just be sat watching Smith bat all day. Rooty wont have a clue how to get him out.
Then we also consider that our batting lineup is weak without Stokes ,who is our only x factor player.

its a big summer for smith he has been in somewhat of a decline since that last ashes averaging 20 runs under his career numbers so this summer should tell us whether that was a blip or something more serious, at first you think england have no hope but if root did out perform smith and marnus then england have at least a shot at this and stranger things have happened was just over ten years ago cook dominated over here while ponting and clarke failed badly.

its a big summer for smith he has been in somewhat of a decline since that last ashes averaging 20 runs under his career numbers so this summer should tell us whether that was a blip or something more serious, at first you think england have no hope but if root did out perform smith and marnus then england have at least a shot at this and stranger things have happened was just over ten years ago cook dominated over here while ponting and clarke failed badly.
10 years ago england had a crack batting lineup of players in the best form of their career. australia had doug bollinger, xavier doherty, ben hilfenhaus, and mitchell johnson in the worst form of his career bowling to them.

10 years ago england had a crack batting lineup of players in the best form of their career. australia had doug bollinger, xavier doherty, ben hilfenhaus, and mitchell johnson in the worst form of his career bowling to them.

Still who would have said a bloke like cook who averaged about 30 in his first few ashes series would dominate in australia in 10/11 while legends like ponting and clarke averaged 20?

Its by no means the most likely scenario but with the form root is in its also not inconceivable he could do the job while smith and marnus dont and with our batting stocks that could be enough to keep series tight.

Lol no way Root scores more than Lab and Smith

England are 4-2-19 in Australia this century that includes losing 5-0 to what was dubbed as the worst Australian team ever

Lol no way Root scores more than Lab and Smith

England are 4-2-19 in Australia this century that includes losing 5-0 to what was dubbed as the worst Australian team ever

Look he may not, but Root, while not as good as some of his contemporaries, has basically a decade long body of high class work and is in the form of his life. At this stage we still don’t even know if Labushagne is actually that good or if he’s just Adam Voges’ reincarnated. It would be silly to suggest he couldn’t match Smith or Markus’ output if he plays his best cricket.

Still who would have said a bloke like cook who averaged about 30 in his first few ashes series would dominate in australia in 10/11 while legends like ponting and clarke averaged 20?

Its by no means the most likely scenario but with the form root is in its also not inconceivable he could do the job while smith and marnus dont and with our batting stocks that could be enough to keep series tight.

Concur, looking forward to an enthralling contest - but also won't lose any sleep over this series being a complete route, with Aus winning every test by an innings and 1000 runs either..!

Rumours of Stokes jumping on the plane at the last minute are surfacing - but is it just the usual media fairytales..?

Last edited:

Covid hasnt helped the Australian team has only played 9 tests in 2 years. So they have had no rhythm whatsoever.

Its almost impossible for smithy to repeat his 2019 ashes numbers as he set such a high bar the only way was going to be down.

If he scores two 100s and averages 55 plus for the series would be a pass mark.

Look he may not, but Root, while not as good as some of his contemporaries, has basically a decade long body of high class work and is in the form of his life. At this stage we still don’t even know if Labushagne is actually that good or if he’s just Adam Voges’ reincarnated. It would be silly to suggest he couldn’t match Smith or Markus’ output if he plays his best cricket.
The OP is talking about matching both, maybe as individuals but as a collective no way

Also Root has never showed any form here

Likening Lab to Voges is a poor take, from someone who normally is pretty close to the mark. If you look at his career he just bullied an incredibly weak West Indies side on roads and never did anything else.

The reason England has no hope in the ashes is due to not having a front line spinner.

Even though Australia isn’t typically looked at as spinning conditions it’s still essential to have a spinner who can bowl with control and keep the pressure on so you don’t bowl the quicks into the ground

If we look at every ashes series here this century we have help clear advantage in this area in every series bar 2010/11

02/03
Dawson 96 overs 5/398 at 79.60
Giles 53.2 overs 6/191 at 31.83
England 149.2 overs 11/589 at 53.54

Warne 131.1 overs 14/347 at 24.78
MacGill 169 overs 12/486 at 40.50
Aus 300.1 overs 26/833 at 32.04

06/07
Giles 82 overs 3/262 at 87.33
Panesar 89.3 overs 10/379 at 37.90
England 171.3 overs 13/641 at 49.30

Warne 241.2 overs 23/698 at 30.34
Aus 241.2 overs 23/698 at 30.34

10/11
Swann 219.1 overs 15/597 at 39.80
England 219.1 overs 15/597 at 39.80

Smith 31 overs 0/138
Beer 38 overs 1/112 at 112
North 38 overs 1/110 at 110
Doherty 75.5 overs 3/306 at 102
Australia 182.5 overs 5/666 at 133.20

13/14
Borthwick 13 overs 4/82 at 20.50
Swann 142 overs 7/560 at 80.00

Panesar 70.5 overs 3/257 at 85.66
England 225.5 overs 14/899 at 64.21

Lyon 176.2 overs 19/558 at 29.36
Aus 176.2 overs 19/558 at 29.36

17/18
Ali 169.2 overs 5/575 at 115
Root 28.3 overs 2/78 at 39.00
Crane 48 overs 1/193 at 193
England 245.5 overs 8/846 at 105.75

Lyon 260.1 overs 21/614 at 29.23
Australia 260.1 overs 21/614 at 29.23

Total
England 1011.4 overs 61/3572 at 58.56
Australia 1160.5 overs 94/3369 at 35.84

The OP is talking about matching both, maybe as individuals but as a collective no way

Also Root has never showed any form here

Likening Lab to Voges is a poor take, from someone who normally is pretty close to the mark. If you look at his career he just bullied an incredibly weak West Indies side on roads and never did anything else.

In 15 completed innings in Australia he has passed 50 six times.

It’s only the absence of at least one big score that stops him having a very good record here. He can clearly handle it.

Marnus averages 32 more at home than he does away. He’s got a bit to do yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back