Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Austoraisetheurn

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's some pretty clear evidence in The Test documentary (just finished it a couple of nights ago) that he's not a particularly great on-field captain. The reflection session that they have after Stokes got England out of jail is pretty unflinching and Paine comes across as really defensive, maybe a bit petulant.

Conversely, Australia did a hell of a job to win the next match.

One of the best wins in Australia cricket for 20 years.

Paine was a competent captain. I'd give him a B grade.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
There's some pretty clear evidence in The Test documentary (just finished it a couple of nights ago) that he's not a particularly great on-field captain. The reflection session that they have after Stokes got England out of jail is pretty unflinching and Paine comes across as really defensive, maybe a bit petulant.

The influence a captain has tactically on a game of cricket is a bit overblown by fans imo.

Last edited:

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd probably go the opposite way, but I'm intrigued why you think that.

I subscribe to the Richie Benaid quote: ‘captaincy is 90 percent luck and 10 percent skill, but don’t try it without the 10 percent’.

Most of the time in the field a captain is at the mercy of the quality of the attack at their disposal.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd probably go the opposite way, but I'm intrigued why you think that.

Captaincy is so much about that cattle you have at your disposal.

I don’t think it’s a complete stretch to say that Australia were lucky to have 3 consecutive great captain in Taylor Waugh and Ponting and that it had nothing to do with the fact they had McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Warne, Ponting, Hayden, Healy, Gilchrist etc.

Australia were dominant because of the sheer abundance of amazing talent

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Captaincy is so much about that cattle you have at your disposal.

I don’t think it’s a complete stretch to say that Australia were lucky to have 3 consecutive great captain in Taylor Waugh and Ponting and that it had nothing to do with the fact they had McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Warne, Ponting, Hayden, Healy, Gilchrist etc.

Australia were dominant because of the sheer abundance of amazing talent

It’s why I rate Ian Chappell as one of our best captains. Early 70s he didn’t have the strongest team but made the most of what he had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inglis or Carey?

Personally would prefer Inglis but I am guessing they will go with Carey for stability

Inglis. Carey has barely got a run jeez. Wouldn’t put it past them to go Wade

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I expect they'll go Carey but I see very little logic to it. Inglis clearly the superior keeper. Batting wise, you could make a case for either. Very similar FC records. Both strong in recent seasons. Carey poor so far in the Shield this year, though Inglis' lack of recent FC games doesn't help. Inglis a few years younger too.

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I think they will go with Carey but it might come down to the practice game.
If Inglis gets runs and keeps well, he might get the nod if Carey fails.

I would love Inglis as I believe he is the better keeper but I reckon they will go Carey

Its a shame that Josh has not had the opportunity to show his wares in the shield due to the T20 WC......I hope the selectors take this into consideration

talk about timing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back