Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Australians fear of fast bowlers being captain is bizarre and out of date. Imran Khan was one of the best captains the world has ever seen, Jason Holder was a very good captain for the West Indies, Kapil Dev was no slouch. So yeah, not sure why it still exists

Australians fear of fast bowlers being captain is bizarre and out of date. Imran Khan was one of the best captains the world has ever seen, Jason Holder was a very good captain for the West Indies, Kapil Dev was no slouch. So yeah, not sure why it still exists
For aus I imagine it's the rotation policy we have generally had and the fact fast bowlers peak earlier in their career and are perhaps seen as not well established enough in the side in their playing prime.

It's a huge mental load to take on too. Having someone as important to the bowling attack as Pat is, possibly thinking about bowling changes and fields for other bowlers as he's running into bowl doesn't fill me with confidence. I know he's been more durable in recent times, but bowlers do break down more than batsman doo as well. I hope he goes well, I also hope he doesn't feel like he can't choose to bowl himself in situations because it will look like a powerplay to the outside world.

It's a huge mental load to take on too. Having someone as important to the bowling attack as Pat is, possibly thinking about bowling changes and fields for other bowlers as he's running into bowl doesn't fill me with confidence. I know he's been more durable in recent times, but bowlers do break down more than batsman doo as well. I hope he goes well, I also hope he doesn't feel like he can't choose to bowl himself in situations because it will look like a powerplay to the outside world.

I think Smith will be ringing most of the field changes and the bowling changes.

Yeah captains will always have the issue that they’ll either underbowl themselves or they’ll bowl too much and grind himself down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the series was in England I’d be worried. But it’s here and broad is toothless

I think England to regain the Ashes at $5.00 is overs to be honest. Id have them closer to $2.90 or $3.00.

I have backed them to win the Ashes at $5.00 with TAB...$400 on them....admittedly, that is more of a hedge to lessen the pain if England win, still, this series is not going to be easy for Australia to win outright.

The long term summer forecast is that conditions will be more damp and cold than usual. That plays into England's hands somewhat, Anderson and Broad at 39 and 35 respectively, there has to be question marks over their effectiveness on a flat and hot wicket.

However, the way Australia bowled last year against India on dry and flat wickets, in hot conditions, you'd have to say that a bit more rain around would help us just as much as England.

If Australia start well, then things could get messy quickly with England, especially if this new covid variant warrants some harder lockdowns. Time will tell.

Im not convinced England are all that thrilled to be here, and one wonders whether they were secretly hoping that the Ashes was postponed for 12 months.

Jesus Christ, people say some outrageously over the top criticisms of Starc on this board.

It's like Shane Warne has fifteen different log-ins.

All of England is very sad at the Paine news, then you see who the options are to replace him and you just smile
Not sure what this means.

Not having Paine in the side as captain and keeper instantly makes Australia stronger tactically and as a team.

Selectors leaning towards Inglis, thankfully.
Good news, but I don’t see how he is a ‘shock bolter wildcard’ given how impressive he has been the last few seasons. And who over the age of 4 would write something like ‘shock bolter wildcard’ anyway? Journalism…

Good news, but I don’t see how he is a ‘shock bolter wildcard’ given how impressive he has been the last few seasons. And who over the age of 4 would write something like ‘shock bolter wildcard’ anyway? Journalism…

Clickbait headlines and all that. If they said one of the two most spoken about candidates is firming, no one would click

Remove this Banner Ad

Back