Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

I generally wouldn't cheer for India or England but apart from that, I agree with the author's basic point.

A lot of the comments seem to agree as well.

For me, the shine started falling away when McGrath and Slater and others started sooking about other teams' sledging.

Sorry boys, you want to push the boundaries of what can be said, you don't get to set the boundaries for other people.

I lost a heap of respect for Australian cricket in general (especially CA and the 'fans') following how Smith was treated after the sandpaper.

Who do I want to win the ashes? Whoever I put cash on. Or alternatively, probably Australia, unless they start acting like F'wits again.

Reason CA wont go to Hobart is purely $$.

With the perth test sold out all those refunds will have to be made up and by giving it to Hobart CA wont get close.

Where another big crowd in Melbourne or sydney will.

I suspect CA might ask ECB about the possibility it being a pink ball test so the broadcasters still get the same timeslot for the 5th test match because perth is 3 hours behind and they will have their prime time viewership.

Also would make the test a different feel to original one in that city.

I generally wouldn't cheer for India or England but apart from that, I agree with the author's basic point.

A lot of the comments seem to agree as well.

For me, the shine started falling away when McGrath and Slater and others started sooking about other teams' sledging.

Sorry boys, you want to push the boundaries of what can be said, you don't get to set the boundaries for other people.

I lost a heap of respect for Australian cricket in general (especially CA and the 'fans') following how Smith was treated after the sandpaper.

Who do I want to win the ashes? Whoever I put cash on. Or alternatively, probably Australia, unless they start acting like F'wits again.
No one cares. If you don't like the national team and don't want to follow them, then don't. You're not special for not liking the national team.

There is a small group of people that will never be satisfied and will always find fault no matter what the national team does. No one is trying to win these people back.

You'd have to say Perth test unlikely at this stage given new strain.
Adelaide, Sydney and MCG should be certain.
Brisbane if first up should be ok.
Final test TBC.
Personally don't really enjoy the MCG tests as much, tend to be dour.
SCG or Adelaide should get second game.

Final test TBC.
They should decide based on how well we go in each Test.

Final test TBC.

They shouldn’t have even got it in the first place

No one cares. If you don't like the national team and don't want to follow them, then don't. You're not special for not liking the national team.

There is a small group of people that will never be satisfied and will always find fault no matter what the national team does. No one is trying to win these people back.
What is interesting about a lot of people who say this is they'll tell you how much they don't like the Australian cricket team but the only cricket matches they watch will involve Australia.

What is interesting about a lot of people who say this is they'll tell you how much they don't like the Australian cricket team but the only cricket matches they watch will involve Australia.
It's okay to support the team but not particularly like the individuals that make up the team.

I have more than ten years of watching Wayne Carey so trust me, it's possible.

It’s quite simple you want the test, then don’t get the players to quarantine. They have already done 1 silly quarantine, not as if they’d have to do that even if they arrived in Sydney.

I’m on England’s side on this and I hope they stick to this.

Doesn't matter to me if Perth gets the nod for the Test match. Just looking forward to the Ashes and Test cricket again. 🥳

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s quite simple you want the test, then don’t get the players to quarantine. They have already done 1 silly quarantine, not as if they’d have to do that even if they arrived in Sydney.

Agree its disrespectful anyway to all Australian citizen's if he allows cricketers to waltze in without quarantine after whats been done. With families separated and likely again this Christmas

They can keep the borders closed over there in there bubble thats fine just wont get the cricket simple

Agree its disrespectful anyway to all Australian citizen's if he allows cricketers to waltze in without quarantine after whats been done. With families separated and likely again this Christmas

They can keep the borders closed over there in there bubble thats fine just wont get the cricket simple

He can do whatever he wants and I’m not saying more that that.

But getting an Ashes test is a privilege and both sides especially England won’t agree to a second quarantine heck 1 quarantine is too much. Just get a test that’s good enough they are all vaccinated.

Quarantining isn't silly, but that's an argument for a different thread.

The WA Government and WACA have come up with a plan that requires the Perth test to be shifted back one day, and otherwise very minimal restrictions. Probably the biggest is that the families can't come. But given they the England team is all on a plane as soon as the game finishes, that shouldn't be a big deal.

Having said that, I think the WA Government isn't trying too hard to make it happen. The AFL grand final was a once in a lifetime thing, something tangible where you they can say "this is the reward for everyone putting up with COVID restrictions", whereas a test match happens almost every year so if we miss one, well, big deal. And it was really on the AFL to make it happen because they didn't have many other options. Compare that to Cricket Australia, who I don't think will be that fussed if Perth misses out, either.

The WACA has been pretty positive about the chances of it happening but they've been kidding themselves, tbh.

Quarantining isn't silly, but that's an argument for a different thread.

The WA Government and WACA have come up with a plan that requires the Perth test to be shifted back one day, and otherwise very minimal restrictions. Probably the biggest is that the families can't come. But given they the England team is all on a plane as soon as the game finishes, that shouldn't be a big deal.

Having said that, I think the WA Government isn't trying too hard to make it happen. The AFL grand final was a once in a lifetime thing, something tangible where you they can say "this is the reward for everyone putting up with COVID restrictions", whereas a test match happens almost every year so if we miss one, well, big deal. And it was really on the AFL to make it happen because they didn't have many other options. Compare that to Cricket Australia, who I don't think will be that fussed if Perth misses out, either.

The WACA has been pretty positive about the chances of it happening but they've been kidding themselves, tbh.

One day doesn’t sound bad until it means getting back home later and what not. There shouldn’t be any restrictions jeez that’s half the point. These players would have played for 2 months and away from family, you recon it’s fair to have restrictions as well? Can’t see England agreeing to any restrictions and I’m on their side here. They aren’t needed. If it’s fine in NSW, SA, Victoria, it’s fine elsewhere.

Both pitches for the Indian series in recent years were bad. One officially rated average* and that last one did nothing for anyone. It was slow, offered no turn and made batting difficult
Its a belter now . Last shield game as good a deck as you will get .

It can take a few years for a new curator to come in and basically reset the square .

Will be a result pitch this series , nothing surer.

Issue with the Perth test is not the players getting exemptions but all the broadcasting people and logistics of equipment movement etc. Head of WA cricket has said it's 50/50 atm due to those reasons. New covid strain has seen WA further tighten entry requirement to individuals outside of WA.

Issue with the Perth test is not the players getting exemptions but all the broadcasting people and logistics of equipment movement etc. Head of WA cricket has said it's 50/50 atm due to those reasons. New covid strain has seen WA further tighten entry requirement to individuals outside of WA.

Further to this, I think if WA doesn't get it then SCG/MCG is likely. Transport/border requirements are probably the most flexible in Aus. Plus 4th test is at the SCG anyway, so they might just go back to back in Sydney. It saves everyone needing to move etc and it's probably more economical for CA. Although Perth test allows for broadcast in the primetime slot for Eastern states.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back