Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t disagree more with the notion of Head should have to move states and win games for his new team to get picked. If we look at Khawaja’s numbers for Queensland his influence on them winning is slight. Most of his 100s have been in sides that have made massive scores. His 100s in 17/18, 13/14 and 12/13 are examples of him standing tall and making 100 in a side that didn’t bat well putting them into a winning position. But that’s all so long ago it shouldn’t really be relevant against Head

Khawaja for Qld

21/22 119 v Tas, Qld won by 96 runs. Other notable scores Labuschange 136 & 60*, Renshaw 120* Burns 79 & 40*

21/22 13 & 174 v SA draw. Other notable scores Pierson 132

20/21 3 & 115* v Tas, Qld win by 3 wickets. Other notable scores Burns 171 & 20 Labuschange 49 & 78

20/21 131 & 46 v SA, Qld won by 62 runs. Other notable scores Renshaw 168* & 10* Pierson 109

17/18 40 & 122 v Vic, Qld won by 110 runs no other notable scores

16/17 157 & 61 v WA, WA won by 8 wickets no other notable scores

16/17 106 & 17 v SA, Qld won by 128 runs. Other notable scores Renshaw 108 & 50, Wildermuth 76 & 42

13/14 19 & 182* v SA, Qld won by 5 wickets. No other notable scores

12/13 138 v Tas, Qld won by an innings and 123 runs. No other notable scores

he averages 43 in ashes here though and 19 in england, look i wouldnt be wanting him recalled for an ashes in england right now but the only thing we need to ask is who can make runs right here right now to win us the ashes, he has scored runs vs england in aus and averages over 50 in his career in Australia and he is in form so this seems an easy choice considering the lack of proven test batsmen we have.

Long term our batting is awful for anything other than our conditions and thats not going to be solved with or without khawaja in the side, if an ashes was starting in england today smith and marnus would have to dominate or we get crushed, head harris warner khawaja pick whatever you like from that they are all failing in those conditions and the ones in line to take their place probably do the same but thats not the concern this summer all that matters is who can score runs on our decks.
Everyone plays better at home but the guys that want to play in the 23 ashes will be looking for county contracts for the 22 & 23 seasons. There is nothing like making runs in England to prepare you for an ashes

Broad at 35 is better than Anderson at 39
Not really arguing that (although, I’m not sure I agree), more saying that if they continue picking them how they have done recently, Broad is essentially here as a back up. Personally I think in Australian conditions they are both a long way passed their use by - that England has brought both out here speaks volumes about there attack.

Not really arguing that (although, I’m not sure I agree), more saying that if they continue picking them how they have done recently, Broad is essentially here as a back up. Personally I think in Australian conditions they are both a long way passed their use by - that England has brought both out here speaks volumes about there attack.
Neither has been any good here ever. If Archer was fit neither would get a game

Inglis fairly stitched up, not given the chance to push his claims in any format and essentially taken out of the running because of it.

Starc being chosen ahead of Richardson is also inevitable and will absolutely do my head in.

I want Swepson to really push Lyon, who was shocking against India as well.

Harris, massive meh.

Go Aussies? I guess.

That's CA for you. We won T20 comp though. :rolleyes:

As usual totally worth stuffing test preparation for as far as they're concerned.

Neither has been any good here ever. If Archer was fit neither would get a game
Broad had his moments, but overall, yes, not much to like from either. Possibly true, but I’m not sure Archer would make that much of a difference - mostly because Root is terrible at managing his quicks, and also firebrand quicks tend to bowl too short on there first tour out here.

Broad had his moments, but overall, yes, not much to like from either. Possibly true, but I’m not sure Archer would make that much of a difference - mostly because Root is terrible at managing his quicks, and also firebrand quicks tend to bowl too short on there first tour out here.
He has bowled here a lot in the BBL while it’s worlds apart from FC/test cricket it still gives him an insight into how the pitches play here and the lengths to bowl. He is inexperienced in FC cricket across the board and that hasn’t stopped him having an impact

He has bowled here a lot in the BBL while it’s worlds apart from FC/test cricket it still gives him an insight into how the pitches play here and the lengths to bowl. He is inexperienced in FC cricket across the board and that hasn’t stopped him having an impact
Also hasn’t stopped him struggling in ways you’d expect an inexperienced fast bowler to struggle. He’s a talent for sure, but more experienced bowlers than him have struggled to not let the allure of fast bouncy pitches ruin their length. Hopefully we get to see him in some serious cricket out here soon.

Also hasn’t stopped him struggling in ways you’d expect an inexperienced fast bowler to struggle. He’s a talent for sure, but more experienced bowlers than him have struggled to not let the allure of fast bouncy pitches ruin their length. Hopefully we get to see him in some serious cricket out here soon.

He is by no means the complete package but he has X-factor that the English attack is badly missing

He is the biggest flat track bully going, out scoring Smith in one series doesn’t change that

Also why doesn’t he get picked in Asia? Because he struggles there. He struggles having to come out and start against spin.

While the UAE is dryer than here and spin plays a bigger role in deciding a test match he opened there and could start against the quicks

In India batting him 5 oh boy that will not be pretty to watch

What options are an improvement for India?

Australia has a weakness across the board against spin, you can water down his achievements in the UAE all you want but there's no one better who won't already be in the XI.

I don't think Khawaja is a world beater, but the alternative is Travis Head who has done nothing in the Test Team outside beating up a Sri Lankan attack who were worse than every Shield attack currently.

Which selectors and which NSW players?
starc is a pretty clear example.

also maddinson was parachuted into the test team on ok bbl form, while being average to below average for nsw in shield. he then moves to vic and has been one of the if not the dominant shield batsman for 2 of the last 3 years, while we keep struggling for a decent batsman, and doesnt get a look in.

tbf, its not just nsw players. qld and wa players get favoured as well (just look at the marshes, burns, khawaja), but not as much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What options are an improvement for India?

Australia has a weakness across the board against spin, you can water down his achievements in the UAE all you want but there's no one better who won't already be in the XI.

I don't think Khawaja is a world beater, but the alternative is Travis Head who has done nothing in the Test Team outside beating up a Sri Lankan attack who were worse than every Shield attack currently.
Khawaja at 5 in India, * we may as well play a man short as that’s how little he will offer. Undoubtedly the lack of experience in those conditions with no A cricket or tests there is an issue. Maxy and Handscomb will come into consideration in India

Khawaja at 5 in India, fu** we may as well play a man short as that’s how little he will offer. Undoubtedly the lack of experience in those conditions with no A cricket or tests there is an issue. Maxy and Handscomb will come into consideration in India

Why Handscomb? Did basically nothing in India last time despite all the hype about his skills against spin. Has also done little to nothing in the Shield for years.

Broad at 35 is better than Anderson at 39
Interesting , I would so the opposite from what ive seen in the past 12 months or so
Anderson is still far more dangerous , he just wont be able to keep backing it up .

Broad bowling wise looks the older of the 2 , lost his zip and isnt hitting the splice off a good length like he used to do .

Interesting , I would so the opposite from what ive seen in the past 12 months or so
Anderson is still far more dangerous , he just wont be able to keep backing it up .

Broad bowling wise looks the older of the 2 , lost his zip and isnt hitting the splice off a good length like he used to do .
Anderson looks okay when it swings and that’s it. He is pedestrian most of the time now

starc is a pretty clear example.

also maddinson was parachuted into the test team on ok bbl form, while being average to below average for nsw in shield. he then moves to vic and has been one of the if not the dominant shield batsman for 2 of the last 3 years, while we keep struggling for a decent batsman, and doesnt get a look in.

tbf, its not just nsw players. qld and wa players get favoured as well (just look at the marshes, burns, khawaja), but not as much.

Mitchell Starc has been ranked in the top ten bowlers in test cricket for the last seven years or so. He has the odd bad game, but overall his record has extremely good fort a long time.

ms.JPG

Anderson looks okay when it swings and that’s it. He is pedestrian most of the time now
He still has his key attributes as a class test bowler . I think most would acknowledge when its gun barrell straight at his pace at test level , well your pedestrian .

Broad has lost or his attributes have dimished , dont see them returning at 36 yo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back