Ashes 2021/22

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Head in for Harris, and Uzzie to open in Hobart. Pretty easy change.

Its common sense but can Langer swallow his ego though and keep uzzie in.

Has marcus harris ever looked like scoring a 100 in test cricket yet after 14 tests. He is not even in the same postcode as uzzie and its embarrassing we keep just finding excuses to leave uzzie out.

First it was fielding was poor then it was he was lazy.

Then he couldn't play spin. Now we might have to stay loyal to an opener who averages 25 after 14 tests.

When selectors have never shown any kind of loyalty to Khawaja across his career.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
No, really. It’s Starc’s worst ground every year for at least the last five seasons.

2016/7 vs South Africa and Pakistan:
Test 1: 5 wickets (Perth)
Test 2: 3 wickets - only bowled in one innings (Hobart)
Test 3: 6 wickets (Adelaide)
Test 4: 7 wickets (Brisbane)
Test 5: 5 wickets (Melbourne)
Test 6: 2 wickets (Sydney)

2017/8 vs England:
Test 1: 6 wickets (Brisbane)
Test 2: 8 wickets (Adelaide)
Test 3: 5 wickets (Perth)
Test 4: DNP (Melbourne)
Test 5: 3 wickets (Sydney)

2018/9 vs India (4 tests) and Sri Lanka (2 tests):
Test 1: 5 wickets (Adelaide)
Test 2: 5 wickets (Perth)
Test 3: 2 wickets (Melbourne)
Test 4: 1 wicket (Sydney)
Test 5: 2 wickets (Brisbane)
Test 6: 10 wickets (Canberra)

2019/20 vs Pakistan and New Zealand:
Test 1: 7 wickets (Brisbane)
Test 2: 7 wickets (Adelaide)
Test 3: 9 wickets (Perth)
Test 4: 7 wickets (Melbourne)
Test 5: 4 wickets (Sydney)

2020/21 vs India:
Test 1: 4 wickets (Adelaide)
Test 2: 4 wickets (Melbourne)
Test 3: 1 wicket (Sydney)
Test 4: 2 wickets (Brisbane)

Meanwhile his record in day/night tests is impeccable: 52 wickets at 18.23.

I’d have given the guy this week off to freshen up and let him knock over England in Hobart, where he’s almost certain to bowl well.
The tradition continues.....

Cainozz

Club Legend
Feb 6, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
My XI's for Hobart would be

Aus
1) D.Warner
2) U.Khawaja
3) M.Labuschagne
4) S.Smith
5) C.Green
6) T.Head
7) A.Carey (wk)
8) P.Cummins (c)
9) J.Richardson
10) N.Lyon
11) S.Boland

Eng
1) Z.Crawley
2) D.Malan
3) D.Lawrence
4) J.Root (c)
5) O.Pope
6) B.Stokes
7) B.Foakes (wk)
8) M.Wood
9) O.Robinson
10) S.Broad
11) J.Anderson

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
I also highly, highly doubt Stokes plays.
I’d bring back Burns for Hameed.
Leaving our Leach in Adelaide was the dumbest move of the series, they won’t repeat it.

Aus
1) D.Warner
2) U.Khawaja
3) M.Labuschagne
4) S.Smith
5) C.Green
6) T.Head
7) A.Carey (wk)
8) P.Cummins (c)
9) J.Richardson
10) N.Lyon
11) S.Boland

Eng
1) Z.Crawley
2) D.Malan
3) D.Lawrence
4) J.Root (c)
5) O.Pope
6) B.Stokes
7) B.Foakes (wk)
8) M.Wood
9) O.Robinson
10) S.Broad
11) J.Anderson

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers

Aus
1) D.Warner
2) U.Khawaja
3) M.Labuschagne
4) S.Smith
5) C.Green
6) T.Head
7) A.Carey (wk)
8) P.Cummins (c)
9) J.Richardson
10) N.Lyon
11) S.Boland

Eng
1) Z.Crawley
2) D.Malan
3) D.Lawrence
4) J.Root (c)
5) O.Pope
6) B.Stokes
7) B.Foakes (wk)
8) M.Wood
9) O.Robinson
10) S.Broad
11) J.Anderson

That's what I'd suggest also but Head at 5 and Green at 6.

Listening to Jarrod Kimber

It's interesting that Smith is struggling against quicks especially against them bowling bouncers

Hasn't been the same since getting sconned

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
That was an exhilarating finish to the best SCG Test in a decade. Was a far cry from the usual turgid affairs at this iconic ground. The match had everything, theatre, excitement, courage, stamina, brilliance but above all it was a fair contest between bat and ball that went down to the final ball of the final over. Absolutely nail-biting stuff and the perfect advertisement for Test cricket..

That was an exhilarating finish to the best SCG Test in a decade. Was a far cry from the usual turgid affairs at this iconic ground. The match had everything, theatre, excitement, courage, stamina, brilliance but above all it was a fair contest between bat and ball that went down to the final ball of the final over. Absolutely nail-biting stuff and the perfect advertisement for Test cricket..

The pitch was an autobahn and the weather near ruinous.

Oz lost just 14 wickets (some chasing quick runs) and the close draw was manufactured, wonderful though it was.

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Now this is an autobahn.. Kiwis 2-400 in the second Test against the Banglas.

CA has to now move on Marcus Harris with Usman a cert for a Pakistan tour berth.

Likely Tour X1:
Warner
Khawaja
Labuchagne
Smith
Green
Head
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Reserves: Richardson, Boland, Swepson (locks), Agar, Inglis, Maddinson (probables), Renshaw/Handscomb/Whiteman/Kuhnemann
(possibles)

Last edited:

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
So we don’t have a single promising batsmen in the country under 30?
I think we are sitting pretty when it comes to depth in all departments. If you made an 11 under 30 it looks a healthy side

Hunt
Pucovski
Labuschagne
Head
Green
Maddinson
Inglis
Abbott
Cummins
Richardson
Swepson

Reserves
Street
Renshaw
Phillipe
T Sangha
Neil-Smith
Steketee

Anyone of these guys if not in the side already could come into the team and at least be a solid contributor at the very minimum. A few look like they could be generational talents with a bit of luck if they stay healthy (Green, Puc, Sangha, LNS). We’re in good shape

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I think we are sitting pretty when it comes to depth in all departments. If you made an 11 under 30 it looks a healthy side

Hunt
Pucovski
Labuschagne
Head
Green
Maddinson
Inglis
Abbott
Richardson
Stekettee
Swepson

Reserves
Street
Renshaw
Phillipe
T Sangha
Neil-Smith

Anyone of these guys if not in the side already could come into the team and at least be a solid contributor at the very minimum. A few look like they could be generational talents with a bit of luck if they stay healthy (Green, Puc, Sangha, LNS). We’re in good shape
Cummins stiff not to make it

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide

Hunt
Pucovski
Labuschagne
Head
Green
Maddinson
Inglis
Abbott
Richardson
Stekettee
Swepson

Reserves
Street
Renshaw
Phillipe
T Sangha
Neil-Smith

No room for the world number 1 test bowler? Good depth.

Not sure I share your optimism on Neil-Smith. Could be a useful number six if he improves over his next 20 first class games, but not convinced.
I'd also have Street ahead of Hunt so far. That could obviously change over time, as there isn't a huge gap between them currently. Hopefully both improve to test opening standard and we are left with option of moving Pucovski to the middle order, leaving Green to dominate at 6.

Tanveer Sangha is the one who could drastically improve our fortunes in 5 years time. We look like a strong side currently, but every chance we bomb in the subcontinent tour.

Cooper Connelly will be one to watch in U19 CWC and beyond, could be another Cam Green. Imagine having two of them! Could pick 2 quicks, and two spinners, or strengthen the batting lineup further. Teague Wyllie also touted as an outstanding opening batsmen prospect.

My side in 5 years time (assuming Smith retires.. wouldnt bet on it at age 37 and missed a year):
Hunt, Street, Labuschange, Pucovski, Head, Green, Phillipe, Cummins, Steketee, Richardson, Sangha

Bowling looks fractionally weaker, batting who knows with development of Pucovski, Head, Green, Hunt and Street. If Connelly and Wyllie could become A grade prospects they could unseat one of Hunt and Street, and Steketee.

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams

Hunt
Pucovski
Street
Labuschagne
Head
Green
Maddinson
Pucovski
Inglis
Abbott
Wildermuth
Richardson
Stekettee.
Neil-Smith
Swepson
T Sangha

Reserves
Ward
Renshaw
Phillipe
T Sangha
Swepson
Kuhnemann/Jarrod Freeman
Bartlett/Sully
Aaron Hardie

Even healthier imo. I think our current skipper and world #1 bowler will still be leading us.
My side in 5 years time (assuming Smith retires.. wouldnt bet on it at age 37 and missed a year):
Hunt, Street, Labuschange, Pucovski, Head, Green, Phillipe, Cummins, Steketee, Richardson, Sangha
I have great optimism for Australian cricket into the next two decades. My side in 5 yrs.
Ward, Hunt/Street, Marnus, Puck, Green, Philippe, Inglis, Cummins, Neil-Smith, Richardson, T Sangha. Next in liners: Jayden Goodwin, Lachlan Hearne, Jarrod Freeman, Fraser-McGurk, Corey/Tom Kelly, Jason Sangha, Aaron Hardie, Matt Willans, Connor Sully, Matt Kuhnemann; followed by promising juniors like Cooper Connolly, Teague Wyllie, Lachlan Shaw, Isaac Higgins, Hunar Verma, Cooper Anthes, Louis Smith.

Last edited:

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
No room for the world number 1 test bowler? Good depth.

Not sure I share your optimism on Neil-Smith. Could be a useful number six if he improves over his next 20 first class games, but not convinced.
I'd also have Street ahead of Hunt so far. That could obviously change over time, as there isn't a huge gap between them currently. Hopefully both improve to test opening standard and we are left with option of moving Pucovski to the middle order, leaving Green to dominate at 6.

Tanveer Sangha is the one who could drastically improve our fortunes in 5 years time. We look like a strong side currently, but every chance we bomb in the subcontinent tour.

Cooper Connelly will be one to watch in U19 CWC and beyond, could be another Cam Green. Imagine having two of them! Could pick 2 quicks, and two spinners, or strengthen the batting lineup further. Teague Wyllie also touted as an outstanding opening batsmen prospect.

Bowling looks fractionally weaker, batting who knows with development of Pucovski, Head, Green, Hunt and Street. If Connelly and Wyllie could become A grade prospects they could unseat one of Hunt and Street, and Steketee.
Haha, I admit I have a rather large, unashamed man-crush on Neil-Smith. Jumped the gun calling him a potential generational talent given his numbers so far, but the kid can do everything to a high level.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Even healthier imo. I think our current skipper and world #1 bowler will still be leading us.

I have great optimism for Australian cricket into the next two decades. My side in 5 yrs.
Ward, Hunt/Street, Marnus, Puck, Green, Philippe, Inglis, Cummins, Neil-Smith, Richardson, T Sangha. Next in liners: Jayden Goodwin, Lachlan Hearne, Jarrod Freeman, Fraser-McGurk, Corey/Tom Kelly, Jason Sangha, Aaron Hardie, Matt Willans, Connor Sully, Matt Kuhnemann; followed by promising juniors like Cooper Connolly, Teague Wyllie, Lachlan Shaw, Isaac Higgins, Hunar Verma, Cooper Anthes, Louis Smith.
Given Heads start to career and his trajectory (improvement) I'd say he's every chance of still being in our middle order in 5 years ahead of Phillipe at the least.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Listening to Jarrod Kimber

It's interesting that Smith is struggling against quicks especially against them bowling bouncers

Hasn't been the same since getting sconned

I think the main problem is that he has made some modifications to his technique to play t20/odi. When he was at his best he didn’t actually score that quickly but now is trying to score at 70 SR which isn’t how his game works.

he isn’t even that good at t20. He should focus on tests and maybe Odis.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's what I'd suggest also but Head at 5 and Green at 6.

head scores quickly and plays his shots. Green has clearly shown he needs 20-30 deliveries at test level to get going. Green should definitely bat at 5. It won’t impact head and potentially allows him to play with even greater freedom. I was a bit of a head doubter but if he plays with freedom and green plays at 5 it works better for the team.

I think the main problem is that he has made some modifications to his technique to play t20/odi. When he was at his best he didn’t actually score that quickly but now is trying to score at 70 SR which isn’t how his game works.

and bowlers have worked him out don't bowl full

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda

Smiths biggest issue is himself…he is now so rapt up in his mannerisms and eccentricities that he has actually forgotten how to play his best game. Concentrating on all the other bullshit is affecting his batting…how does anyone have energy to sustain all that for the long term

Same is and will happen to the other bloke

pugsville

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2001
leningrad
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Now this is an autobahn.. Kiwis 2-400 in the second Test against the Banglas.

CA has to now move on Marcus Harris with Usman a cert for a Pakistan tour berth.

Likely Tour X1:
Warner
Khawaja
Labuchagne
Smith
Green
Head
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Reserves: Richardson, Boland, Swepson (locks), Agar, Inglis, Maddinson (probables), Renshaw/Handscomb/Whiteman/Kuhnemann
(possibles)

Is Warner an automatic selection?

Warner is 35 and with an pretty average away record, particularity in Asia.

We gotta start blooding younger openers some time, Pakistan could be that time.

Back