Ashes 2023 Squad ( + World Champs Final )

Remove this Banner Ad

Squad is in

World Test Championship Final and Men's Ashes squad: Pat Cummins (c), Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Todd Murphy, Matthew Renshaw, Steve Smith (vc), Mitchell Starc, David Warner

A bit harsh and incorrect. JH has bowled five net spells at full pace, with George Bailey saying he was ''very, very close to being given the green light'' for the final. Good prospects now for an Ashes start.
Wow 5 overs then then decide to be not fit enough

5 spells in the nets, not 5 overs, but you knew that.
How longs a spell could be anything from an over to longer

But still shows he shouldn't be anywhere near the test side

Leach out of the Ashes series may have done England a favour, even Ireland's batsmen were taking him to the cleaners so I could see Australia's batsmen doing the same to him or worse.

I reckon they would be better off just playing an extra pace bowler and using Root to bowl spin for them who is better than just a part time spin bowler.

Not if the pitches are as flat as a pancake as they are intending.

Not if the pitches are as flat as a pancake as they are intending.

Would Leach bowl well on pitches that are as flat as pancakes? I could see him being more of a liability than an asset for England in those conditions.

It would be good to see them give Rehan Ahmed a go, he looked quite promising in his one test in Pakistan where he took a 5'fer in the 2nd innings.

Last edited:
I would get Moenn in to replace Leach . He has won us so many games with bat and ball in all formats.
Forget that he played poor in away series , he dominates in England.
But I would also think about having Root as the main spinner and bringing in Woakes.

I would get Moenn in to replace Leach . He has won us so many games with bat and ball in all formats.
Forget that he played poor in away series , he dominates in England.
But I would also think about having Root as the main spinner and bringing in Woakes.
I've also seen people suggesting Sam Curran in a similar vein. A good bat who can bowl longer spells than some of the other seamers ideally would.

How longs a spell could be anything from an over to longer

But still shows he shouldn't be anywhere near the test side
And for this match, he isn’t. If he’s fit, I think you’ll find that he will be in selection conversations.

Would Leach bowl well on pitches that are as flat as pancakes? I could see him being more of a liability than an asset for England in those conditions.

It would be good to see them give Rehan Ahmed a go, he looked quite promising in his one test in Pakistan where he took a 5'fer in the 2nd innings.

Listen, I’m not a huge Leach fan, but in the past 12 months he’s become a very consistent performer for them with ability to bowl long spells and take wickets, exactly what they need give the age and fitness of their quicks.

He’s a big loss for them, it will really affect their bowling plans if they aren’t able to replace him - and given the names being put forward I don’t think they will.

And for this match, he isn’t. If he’s fit, I think you’ll find that he will be in selection conversations.
People are now treating this like their version of Days of Our Lives.
Good on you for talking sense.
“Shouldn’t be anywhere near the Test side”. The bloke has 220 Test wickets FFS.
As you say, he’s bowling long spells in the nets.
He’d also be doing strengthening work in the gym. He’s been declared unavailable for the WTC, so the medicos obviously have a handle on what’s going on. It’s amazing people are making this such a drama.
He’ll be declared fit, when fit, by qualified professionals.

People are now treating this like their version of Days of Our Lives.
Good on you for talking sense.
“Shouldn’t be anywhere near the Test side”. The bloke has 220 Test wickets FFS.
As you say, he’s bowling long spells in the nets.
He’d also be doing strengthening work in the gym. He’s been declared unavailable for the WTC, so the medicos obviously have a handle on what’s going on. It’s amazing people are making this such a drama.
He’ll be declared fit, when fit, by qualified professionals.
Exactly. If they’d left him at home to get ready for the summer, I wouldn’t have minded, but they obviously think he’ll be right to go - they would have a far better read on it than I. Personally I wouldn’t have him in for Edgbaston, as I think that Boland Cummins Neser would be the best line up there, but I certainly won’t complain if he is - he’s a gun bowler.

I think you’ll find that he will be in selection conversations.
More than just conversations Jim as CA knows he has a good Ashes record and bowls at his best in Pom conditions. I think he will play three of the five matches if he proves full fitness.

Last edited:
Like the talk of Cameron Green. After a successful IPL the giant all rounder says he is ready for whatever England cares to throw at us with a plan to take on their bowling if the decks are made for aggressive batting. Also says he will change his approach to batting in general by not defending so much at the start of his innings, if the ball is in his zone he will hit it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More that just conversations Jim as CA knows he has a good Ashes record and bowls at his best in Pom conditions. I think he will play three of the five matches if he proves full fitness.
I’m reckoning 2 at this stage, but if fit he’s a gun. Also depending on how the other quicks go.

I’m reckoning 2 at this stage, but if fit he’s a gun. Also depending on how the other quicks go.

Key word "if fit" bloke can't bow 5 over spells. His asset was bowing long spells, if he can't do that Boland is exactly that type.

He better not play until he can bowl 10+ overs then do it again an hour later.
Bailey said he was within a whisker of playing in the WTC final, so a whisker away from being fully fit which he needs to be to be able to bowl those consecutive 10 overs.

Bailey said he was within a whisker of playing in the WTC final, so a whisker away from being fully fit which he needs to be to be able to bowl those consecutive 10 overs.

He should have been playing county cricket not sitting on his you know what in the ipl

Absolutely, I mean generally a fit Hazlewood would be first picked but I like the idea of Boland (and Neser for that matter) on those decks.

Just don't think there's a massive difference between the three, ideally I'd play both with Starc only playing a couple but there's no hope of that happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Back