Ashes 2023 Squad ( + World Champs Final )

Remove this Banner Ad

Squad is in

World Test Championship Final and Men's Ashes squad: Pat Cummins (c), Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Todd Murphy, Matthew Renshaw, Steve Smith (vc), Mitchell Starc, David Warner

So much energy spent from posters talking about that opening spot, i swear i must be the only one that just couldn't care less who they go with. I have no confidence in Warner, Harris, Bancroft. It is what it is.

In saying that Warner has to be on his last chance, should almost be prove you can do it in these conditions against India or one of the others gets first crack in the Ashes. They won't do it but they should.

While Warner is well past it, 43 in the first innings is still more than I'd back Harris to make and he's the only who will realistically get a shot.

Not really sold on his SCG retirement plans though, Khawaja is at an age where he could also fall off a cliff any second so we really need to make the most of being able to pair a new, questionable opener with someone in form with experience.

Regardless of how Warner performs in the Ashes I'd be moving him straight on come the home summer. One of the worst things our selectors have done is gift Adam Voges a home summer against ordinary bowling which gave him a nice record but stopped us from being able to rebuild. A Pakistan / West Indies summer is the perfect time for new blood.

Well, that session just gone, first session, Day 3,WTC final, wowee. England will be licking their lips. First time we have been put under pressure in the match and we just went to water.

Dropped catches, no balls etc etc. It is one thing to be put under pressure, it is another all together to be put under pressure and not even be able to execute basic skills such as simple catching and keeping your foot behind the line.

Any doubts about England and what approach they will take have been put to bed. They are going to come hard at us, knowing that recent history suggests our entire game will crumble.

When Australia win we boss the game from the start to finish. Margins of victory over the last 5 years have been enormous. That front-running style is good, but the issue is we don't really have much experience of fighting back during matches and winning, or really playing under high pressure scenarios.

When we have been put under the pump, we generally come off second best.

We saw it in India. We are seeing it again now.

Very intestesting to see how things fold out.

For mine, Starc out. Neser in.

If it’s overcast when we bowl that‘d be enough for an innings victory though!
Broad and Anderson would wanna get on a run then and not those pie chuckers Wood and Robinson. It’s a bowling attack reminiscent of the glory days of the Caddicks and McCauges

Pat Cummins seems to have lost that ability to terrorize the batsman with fast accurate sustained pressure bowling. In fact have to say he looks a shadow of the class act that made him the games best bowler for the past four years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we won the final now to move onto the Ashes.

Will Starc get dropped ??? will they bring in Hazelwood or Neser.

For me they will go the same eleven from the Final and look at Hazelwood for Lords. Boland has to play in the first test and I expect him for the first couple at least.

Biggest concern for me is still the top. A pair of left handers just do not work for me in England. Both Warner and Usman's form in England is terrible and I cannot see it improving....expecting us to be one down very early again as it was in the final in both innings.. Marnus better get his nap early because he will be in the middle pretty quick.

Last edited:
Starc won't get dropped. I probably would do so, but the selectors seem to want the footmarks for Lyon and are worried about the pace attack being too similar. I don't really see Cummins as the same as Boland or Hazelwood, but that seems to their thinking. That "variety" only comes with a change of arm.

They openers are a concern, and likely to leave Lab and Smith exposed very early very regularly. At that point with the Dukes, anyone can get a good one and things could split open. Hopefully not often enough to swing a series. Who else comes in though?
Move Head to the top and bring in another middle order player? Wouldn't want to move him so soon after a big knock.
Bring in Harris, Renshaw or Bancroft?
Any of those are likely to last longer than Davey (away from The Oval) more often than not, but do not really inspire confidence.

Starc won't get dropped. I probably would do so, but the selectors seem to want the footmarks for Lyon and are worried about the pace attack being too similar. I don't really see Cummins as the same as Boland or Hazelwood, but that seems to their thinking. That "variety" only comes with a change of arm.

They openers are a concern, and likely to leave Lab and Smith exposed very early very regularly. At that point with the Dukes, anyone can get a good one and things could split open. Hopefully not often enough to swing a series. Who else comes in though?
Move Head to the top and bring in another middle order player? Wouldn't want to move him so soon after a big knock.
Bring in Harris, Renshaw or Bancroft?
Any of those are likely to last longer than Davey (away from The Oval) more often than not, but do not really inspire confidence.

My thoughts on Bancroft are well known on these threads and i thought he should of been brought in to the squad to reward strong shield form and he is a right hander..

My biggest concern is that left handers struggle at the top in england and we have a squad full of left handed opening options which I believe will also struggle.

I just like the RH/Combo at the top .....if only Puck was available and fit

A left field option pardon the pun if we are really struggling with the openers at the top in the first two tests ...

Inglis to open

So we won the final now to move onto the Ashes.

Will Starc get dropped ??? will they bring in Hazelwood or Neser.

For me they will go the same eleven from the Final and look at Hazelwood for Lords. Boland has to play in the first test and I expect him for the first couple at least.

Biggest concern for me is still the top. A pair of left handers just do not work for me in England. Both Warner and Usman's form in England is terrible and I cannot see it improving....expecting us to be one down very early again as it was in the final in both innings.. Marnus better get his nap early because he will be in the middle pretty quick.
Seems like they’re considering Hazelwood in for Boland, as crazy as that sounds.

Seems like they’re considering Hazelwood in for Boland, as crazy as that sounds.
If they drop ScoBo and lose or draw, the media will be out for blood. Would be mad to start a tour with that pressure on them, leaving out that Edgbaston will be a ground that’s suits Scotty, oh! Suits you sir.

on the back of winning the WTC final, i suspect there won't be many changes anytime soon.

hazlewood will obviously come into calculations and i expect neser to be added to the squad at some point.

marsh, inglis (pierson) , murphy are basically there for cover for green, carey and lyon.

harris and renshaw aren't getting a look in unless a hard call is being made.

on the back of winning the WTC final, i suspect there won't be many changes anytime soon.

hazlewood will obviously come into calculations and i expect neser to be added to the squad at some point.

marsh, inglis (pierson) , murphy are basically there for cover for green, carey and lyon.

harris and renshaw aren't getting a look in unless a hard call is being made.
Any one out there now think Boland should miss the 1st test.

There's a 3 day turnaround between the 2nd and 3rd Tests as well as the 4th and 5th Tests. They'll likely rest and rotate the quicks between those matches if their workload was especially big.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back