DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
I thought I'd make one of these, seeing how nobody else has yet...

Australia

David Warner: 8 - Certainly more circumspect than his 2013/14 counterpart, and didn't get as much chance to pad his tally either. While he contributed usefully during the series, including with a match-clinching 87* at Brisbane, 47 at Adelaide and 56 at Sydney, he only stamped his match-saving mark on the Melbourne dead rubber, which showcased his newfound maturity and versatility as he went from first-knock effervescence to second-knock stonewalling. Solid fielding, punctuated by the catch from Jake Ball.

Cameron Bancroft: 3.5 - His debut match-winning 82* masked Bancroft's tendency to poke and prod outside off stump and leave an inviting gap between bat and pad, Greg Blewett-style. His failure to score above 27 for the rest of the series, plus his SCG duck, leaves his position under serious question. His handling of the Bairstow affair annoyed England though, so he'll always have that.

Usman Khawaja: 6.5 - Contributed usefully at Adelaide and Perth, but never really convinced until his position came under serious question. When it did, he unfurled a 171 which included (gasp!) affirmative footwork against Ali and Crane and some dismissive drives, flicks and pulls. He may not be a great player of spin, but it's a start. His fielding is still dodgy at times, but he took some nice diving catches. We'll need him to do well in SA.

Steve Smith: 10 - An absolutely stupendous series with the bat. 687 runs, including 141*, 239, 76, 102* and 83. Insane stuff. He was so good often only he could get himself out. However, he doesn't get a (+) because I wasn't entirely convinced by his captaincy at times. His incessant short stuff to the tail allowed Broad to hack a 50 at Melbourne and it didn't always work at Adelaide or Sydney either. His decision to bowl himself (a part-timer) to a set batsman in his 90's also betrays a lack of match awareness. Still, the biggest difference between the two sides.

Peter Handscomb: 2 - Deducted points for not playing the whole series. His 36 under the tricky Adelaide lights stopped a collapse, but otherwise completely out-of-form and lacking confidence, he would miss full balls whereas last summer he would simply edge them through third man at worst. The right move to drop.

Shaun Marsh: 9 - Excellent throughout. His 51 in Brisbane stopped a collapse, his 126* in Adelaide was the difference between the two sides, he contributed in Melbourne and his 156 in Sydney simply buried England. His fielding is still somewhat dodgy though, with two drops and one screamer against Ali.

Mitch Marsh: 8.5 - Deducted points for not playing the whole series. Four innings, two centuries, plus a 29* to save the Melbourne test. You couldn't ask for much more really. He's definitely improved as a batsman, with a tighter defensive technique and greater powers of concentration, while losing none of his ability to up the ante. His bowling was underdone but he was unlucky not to pick up Cook's wicket at least. His fielding was fine in the outfield, less so at first slip.

Tim Paine: 7 - Not outstanding, but exceeded all expectations. He was often a source of useful tail-end runs, most notably his 57 at Adelaide and his keeping, while not flawless, was very good. Has secured his spot for the time being.

Mitchell Starc: 7.5 - Deducted points for not playing the whole series. In many ways, this was a typical Starc series - spray the ball around, then bowl a magic spell to the tail and take a clump of wickets. His ball to Vince won't be forgotten in a hurry, but his intermittent stays at the batting crease will be. Missed at Melbourne.

Pat Cummins: 8.5 - Bradesmaen might disagree, but his figures don't really indicate how well he bowled. He troubled the batsmen constantly; the only criticism I have is that he often bowled too short to take advantage (may have been a plan). In particular the tail found him hard to negotiate. He was also good for a strike against the run of play (Stoneman at Brisbane, Malan at Adelaide). Gains extra for scoring useful runs throughout, including match-defining partnerships at Brisbane and Adelaide.

Josh Hazlewood: 8 - A bit underdone at the start of the series, but his spell to Root and Woakes at Adelaide effectively decided the game and he exploited an uneven surface quite magnificently to win Australia the game at Perth. Made incisions throughout.

Nathan Lyon: 8 - Has shockingly similar figures to the 2013/14 series, but I think he bowled even better this time around. He constantly constricted the scoring and menaced England's many left-handers. He wasn't as good to the right-handers, bowling a bit too short and straight. He will want to work on that against SA's many right-handers.

Jackson Bird: 1.5 - Deducted points for not playing the whole series. He probably didn't bowl as badly as his 0/108 at Melbourne suggested, but he still struggled a bit with his line-and-length on a pitch which simply didn't suit him. Might have been underdone. Still a #11 with the bat.

England

Alastair Cook: 5 - Scored a quite magnificent 244* which was redolent of his 2010/11 efforts, thus explaining his score. However, besides that he scored 132 runs at 17 and contributed nothing when the series was still alive. Got some good deliveries.

Mark Stoneman: 3 - Started the series brightly enough with two starts and two half-centuries, but faded away after the series was lost. Ultimately Carberry Mk 2.

James Vince: 3.5 - Unlucky to be dismissed at Perth and Melbourne, but too often he would flatter to deceive. He would get a start and invariably waft stupidly outside off-stump. Maybe he would fare better against an older ball down the order?

Joe Root: 6.5 - 5 50's is a sterling effort in any series. The problem is that three of those were scored when the series was dead and he was, unlike his opposite number, unable to create a defining innings. I'm not sure about his captaincy - he executed some clever plans at Brisbane, but his decision to bowl first at Adelaide came off as being overly conservative and spoke to his lack of experience. His inexperience with leg-spin also showed. He did show courage though to bat despite being hospitalised only an hour or two before.

Dawid Malan: 7.5 - Not always convincing against inswing or off-spin, but his pugnacity gave England a fighting chance of taking the initative at Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. Unlucky to be dismissed in Melbourne and again contributed in Sydney. A keeper.

Jonny Bairstow: 6.5 - Was admittedly hamstrung by batting at #7 initially but outside of his Perth century he didn't contribute that much to England's cause. Kept well though. Headbutted less well, possibly.

Moeen Ali: 2 - He was rendered impotent by Lyon, Australian pitches and assorted injuries. At home he is a genuine all-rounder but overseas he's a no-rounder. Consider dropping until the home summer.

Chris Woakes: 2.5 - Deducted points for not playing the whole series. Averaging 16 with the bat and 50 with the ball says it all, particularly when 4 wickets were taken in favourable conditions. He often struggled with Australia's short stuff.

Craig Overton: 5 - Deducted points for not playing the whole series. England's second-best bowler and a real trier with both bat and ball. Unlike many of his countrymen, he would look to make something happen by bowling slower balls/cutters. Perhaps could replace Woakes in the future?

Tom Curran: 2 - Deducted points for not playing the whole series. Tried hard, but proved to be less potent than Woakes with the ball and less wily than Overton, albeit in trying conditions. Played a couple of entertaining cameos with the bat.

Stuart Broad: 3 - Bowled well in Brisbane and Melbourne, but generally looked like Jason Gillespie circa 2005, lacking pace, zip and control. He hacked a 50 at Melbourne, but generally he was just cannon fodder with the bat.

Jake Ball: 1.5 - Deducted points for not playing the whole series. He looked almost as impotent as Bird did in Melbourne, on a friendlier pitch. He seriously struggled against the short stuff too.

Mason Crane: 2.5 - Deducted points for not playing the whole series. His figures of 1/193 do not reflect how often he troubled the batsmen. He can turn the ball some and has a decent googly. On the other hand, while Crane definitely looks the better bowler, Borthwick at least picked up some cheap wickets.

James Anderson: 7 - Bowled magnificently when conditions suited and was economical at worst, but he too often struggled to penetrate when conditions didn't suit - unless the game had already slipped away. It seems Australia's strategy was to see his bowling off and it generally worked.

Last edited:
Hopefully JL can closely work with bangers on tidying up his technique.

I think a 6 is far too high for Cook who was probably England's worst batsman (bar Ali) until Australia had already wrapped up the series. I think his (lack of) performance in the first 3 tests was absolutely the most significant factor in England being down 3-0. Otherwise I think your ratings are pretty accurate.

I think a 6 is far too high for Cook who was probably England's worst batsman (bar Ali) until Australia had already wrapped up the series. I think his (lack of) performance in the first 3 tests was absolutely the most significant factor in England being down 3-0. Otherwise I think your ratings are pretty accurate.

You have a point; he's now a 5.

I can't discount that 244* completely though; it was a monumental effort.

EDIT: Upon reflection, a 7 for Khawaja is a bit generous. It implies he had a generally OK series besides his century when in fact he was rather scratchy. Possibly a 6.5 is better - somewhere in between Cook and Warner.

Last edited:

Um, yeah I think not being able to bowl Australia out at any of the junctures in which they were slightly in the contest was a bigger factor

Um, yeah I think not being able to bowl Australia out at any of the junctures in which they were slightly in the contest was a bigger factor

Haha, obviously that was a huge factor in our favour, but I have a feeling that our thought-to-be fragile batting lineup might have struggled a bit early in the series if England had managed to put up some decent scores. Regardless, there's no way I could give Cook a pass mark for his series given he failed badly in 4 out of the 5 tests.

I would have given Moeen Ali a 1 out of 10 and Warner a 7.5.

I actually seriously considered giving Moeen Ali a 1 (I gave Graeme Swann a 1 for the 2013/14 series) but unlike Swann at least he played all five tests, he contributed a bit more with the bat than Swann did and he started brightly enough at Brisbane. Also, the expectations on Ali's bowling this series were not nearly as high as for Swann.

RE Warner, a reasonable call.

Which is nonsensical reasoning.

Why?

1) Starc didn't have to bowl on the concrete strip that was the MCG pitch. I don't reckon that giving him the same rating as Hazlewood/Lyon would be fair on them for that reason.

2) Sustained excellence over a series IMO is more noteworthy than coming in midway through the series and smashing runs. If it wasn't I'd have to rate Mitch as at least equal to Shaun Marsh - which would be unfair to Shaun.

All the bowlers were very good. Deciding who was worst is a bit like picking the ugliest Victoria's secret model (OK maybe our bowlers weren't that good but you get the point).

IMO Cummins and Lyon were consistently the best and were brilliant at keeping us in it when momentum was in England's favour but the highlights of the series belonged to Starc and Hazlewood who were really good at hammering home an advantage even if they were a bit inconsistent. Lack of consistency from Starc is not surprising but a more so from Haze. Haze's two wickets to snuff out any English chances on day five in Adelaide and Starc and Haze cleaning up the tail in the first innings in Perth when 500+ was on the cards were both pivotal moments in the series.

Not sure of this but I don't reckon many teams in 4-or-more test series have had four bowlers take 4 wickets per match (or more) and each average less than 30 with the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steve Smith- 9.5/10
Elbows too pointy. Couldnt even manage a centuary in Adelaide.
Pat Cummins-9/10
Dat Bounce. Absolute weapon, He's going to love those South African pitches which give you the ability to swing it as well.
Tim Paine 8.5/10
What's that? A competent Australian wicket keeper and a middle/lower order batsmen which prizes his wicket? We don't have any, Tim Paine I am sorry i ever questioned you comming in at 32. I eat Humble pie.
Starc/Hazlewood/Lyon 8/10
All took 20+ wickets, It was brilliant to see if Starc wasnton fire, Haze/Cummins would be on point, Great mix of left/right arm firepower, Lyon one of the better spinners in the world. hard to rate one over eachother, I have Cummins the pick ,Cannot fault any of the bowlers
Mitch Marsh 7.5/10
Don't care you played 3 tests, Gave up your wicket once, And while people will whinge you took no wickets, It's good to have someone toil away for a bit who's not expensive while our quicks catch their breath. Bowled some crackers on the WACA as well
Shaun Marsh 7.5/10
Absolute Rock middle order, Some absolute gutsy preformances to Deny england momentum, Still a couple of flaws, But his temperment is right there, you just saved your test career
David Warner 6.5/10
Solid not spectacular, Thought he did Bancroft dirty getting him run out, I have an issue that he turns up when games and pressure is over. Was solid
Usman 5/10
Lets be real, Struggled, Looked lost, He came back at the end, But im not sold
Cameron Bancroft 4.5/10
Yeah he gets another series, but he would want to get a couple of 40+ totals in SA or else we're going to push Shaun Marsh to open again, and we'll fail again and again
Peter Hanscomb 3/10
Bruh, You have two feet, push one infront of the other and play a shot rather then going back
Jackson Bird 2/10
You need to find 10K's to be playing international cricket

Quick England wrap
Johnny Bairstow-7.5
Dawid Malan-7
Joe Root- 7
Mark Stoneman-5
Jimmy Anderson-5
Craig Overton-5
Alastair Cook-5
Stuart Broad-4
Mason Crane-4
Chris Woakes-4
Tom Curran-3
Vince- I would give you a 4 but you ******* fancy anything you can attempt to cover drive and look where it's got you. 2

Moleen Ali

maxresdefault.jpg

Then Throw some ******* variation into it. Sidespinning will get you some wickets in England, But shield cricketers would of belted you all afternoon, let alone the Marsh Brothers

Negitive 3

Steve Smith- 9.5/10
Elbows too pointy. Couldnt even manage a centuary in Adelaide.
Pat Cummins-9/10
Dat Bounce. Absolute weapon, He's going to love those South African pitches which give you the ability to swing it as well.
Tim Paine 8.5/10
What's that? A competent Australian wicket keeper and a middle/lower order batsmen which prizes his wicket? We don't have any, Tim Paine I am sorry i ever questioned you comming in at 32. I eat Humble pie.
Starc/Hazlewood/Lyon 8/10
All took 20+ wickets, It was brilliant to see if Starc wasnton fire, Haze/Cummins would be on point, Great mix of left/right arm firepower, Lyon one of the better spinners in the world. hard to rate one over eachother, I have Cummins the pick ,Cannot fault any of the bowlers
Mitch Marsh 7.5/10
Don't care you played 3 tests, Gave up your wicket once, And while people will whinge you took no wickets, It's good to have someone toil away for a bit who's not expensive while our quicks catch their breath. Bowled some crackers on the WACA as well
Shaun Marsh 7.5/10
Absolute Rock middle order, Some absolute gutsy preformances to Deny england momentum, Still a couple of flaws, But his temperment is right there, you just saved your test career
David Warner 6.5/10
Solid not spectacular, Thought he did Bancroft dirty getting him run out, I have an issue that he turns up when games and pressure is over. Was solid
Usman 5/10
Lets be real, Struggled, Looked lost, He came back at the end, But im not sold
Cameron Bancroft 4.5/10
Yeah he gets another series, but he would want to get a couple of 40+ totals in SA or else we're going to push Shaun Marsh to open again, and we'll fail again and again
Peter Hanscomb 3/10
Bruh, You have two feet, push one infront of the other and play a shot rather then going back
Jackson Bird 2/10
You need to find 10K's to be playing international cricket

Quick England wrap
Johnny Bairstow-7.5
Dawid Malan-7
Joe Root- 7
Mark Stoneman-5
Jimmy Anderson-5
Craig Overton-5
Alastair Cook-5
Stuart Broad-4
Mason Crane-4
Chris Woakes-4
Tom Curran-3
Vince- I would give you a 4 but you ******* fancy anything you can attempt to cover drive and look where it's got you. 2

Moleen Ali

maxresdefault.jpg

Then Throw some ******* variation into it. Sidespinning will get you some wickets in England, But shield cricketers would of belted you all afternoon, let alone the Marsh Brothers

Negitive 3

It felt like nothing Ali did came off.

Not that I feel for him much, as in the previous Ashes in England he swished away with an appalling control rate and got away with it. I remember one session off Johnson where he either missed it or hit 4. ****ing drove me quite mad.

It felt like nothing Ali did came off.

Not that I feel for him much, as in the previous Ashes in England he swished away with an appalling control rate and got away with it. I remember one session off Johnson where he either missed it or hit 4. ****ing drove me quite mad.

We also played his offbreaks idiotically at Cardiff.

Had we adopted a similar unnecessarily aggressive approach this time, England's bowlers might have met with more success. Instead, we were a lot more circumspect. We played much more like a South African side would.

We also played his offbreaks idiotically at Cardiff.

Had we adopted a similar unnecessarily aggressive approach this time, England's bowlers might have met with more success. Instead, we were a lot more circumspect. We played much more like a South African side would.

Yep. The amount of times we gift wrapped Ali wickets by slogging the last series drove me nuts. I distinctly remember Warner being caught at long on twice trying to hit him into the carpark!

Why?

1) Starc didn't have to bowl on the concrete strip that was the MCG pitch. I don't reckon that giving him the same rating as Hazlewood/Lyon would be fair on them for that reason.

2) Sustained excellence over a series IMO is more noteworthy than coming in midway through the series and smashing runs. If it wasn't I'd have to rate Mitch as at least equal to Shaun Marsh - which would be unfair to Shaun.
The idea that missing a Test through injury makes Starc the worst of the bowlers, when he outperformed all of them in 3 of the 4 Tests he played, is risible.

The problem with all rounder's who are your front line spinners? Not nessisary going to be a master at it

I think Ali's quite a good cricketer, However he has one trick with his off-spin that he can turn it pretty well, Thats about it. Thats enough over in England to bother people with the conditions, In Australia, South Africa you need to do more. Lyon isnt the greatest at turning it but he's adapted, often or not has some good changes of pace, works the pitch as well and bowls in the right places

As someone else said, He absolutely tore us apart a few ashes ago with Australian batsmen not feeling him out, going the tonk and picking english fielders out. He'll still continue to be a threat but if England get a decent spinner in the side they will be better telling Moleen to work on his batting

The idea that missing a Test through injury makes Starc the worst of the bowlers, when he outperformed all of them in 3 of the 4 Tests he played, is risible.

I don't even agree with this.

See I think that Cummins/Lyon outbowled Starc in Brisbane; Starc just bowled a magic spell to the tail at the end. In Adelaide I remember Starc bowling fairly poorly for long periods before again ripping through the tail. In Perth Hazlewood had better match figures.

Also it may be worth considering the idea that bowling on the concrete strip that was Melbourne may have affected Starc's figures quite markedly. Heaven knows it affected everyone else's.

Are we arguing about Starc being our worst bowler. When he still averaged about 5.5 wickets per test?

Honestly. He probably was bar our part timers but he was still more then handy. Dare say if he played in Melbourne with Cummins comming off we would of had more of a chance to get a result. Because we relied on Bird and hazlewood to take a lot of thr workload with Cummins being ill. Lacked that typical big fast bowler for most of the game

Are we arguing about Starc being our worst bowler. When he still averaged about 5.5 wickets per test?

Honestly. He probably was bar our part timers but he was still more then handy

I would probably give him the same rating as Hazlewood/Lyon if he played all 5 Tests (unless he took 0/100 at Melbourne or something ala Bird).

Cummins gets a slightly higher rating for his batting exploits, whereas Starc was disappointing there.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back