Toast ASHLEIGH BARTY, Wins Birmingham 6-3, 7-5, new World #1 !! (with poll)

Can Ash go on to win Wimbledon 2019?

• Yes, GO Ash!

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • No, not this year, but soon.

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Thread started to honour and celebrate Ash Barty's stunning, emphatic, brilliant win in the 2019 French Open.
Australia's newest Grand Slam singles winner! (please reply to Poll above)

Barty.jpg Can't believe it.jpg French Open Champion.jpg
When Barty made it to the quarter-final stage, I thought that was a major achievement, but her three wins after that showed how far she has come.
Congratulations to Barty (and opponent Vondrousova) for a Final devoid of screaming/grunting, tantrums, racket-smashing, Umpire abuse, or chair-throwing. Played in great spirit and fairness. Vondrousova even admitted that Barty had given her a tennis 'lesson'.

Barty's determination, skill, finesse, grit and her behaviour on- and off-court (what grace and humility!) set a standard for all sportspeople to emulate. At 23, with 7 to 10 years of highest level tennis ahead of her, who knows what she will achieve?
A true Champion.

EDIT: 23/06/19 Barty just won the title at Birmingham to become World #1 !!! What an incredible achievement, our first woman #1 since Goolagong-Cawley, and only the FIFTH Australian ever (Newcombe, Rafter, Hewitt).

Last edited:
Thread started to honour and celebrate Ash Barty's stunning, emphatic, brilliant win in the 2019 French Open.
Australia's newest Grand Slam singles winner!

View attachment 690868 View attachment 690872 View attachment 690873
When Barty made it to the quarter-final stage, I thought that was a major achievement, but her three wins after that showed how far she has come.
Congratulations to Barty (and opponent Vondrousova) for a Final devoid of screaming/grunting, tantrums, racket-smashing, Umpire abuse, or chair-throwing. Played in great spirit and fairness. Vondrousova even admitted that Barty had given her a tennis 'lesson'.

Barty's determination, skill, finesse, grit and her behaviour on- and off-court (what grace and humility!) set a standard for all sportspeople to emulate. At 23, with 7 to 10 years of highest level tennis ahead of her, who knows what she will achieve?
A true Champion.
+1

None of us should underestimate how good this win was - a grand slam is a huge achievement and that Ashley Barty is well entrenched inside the top 10 in the world is fantastic for her and Australia

Well done Ash
What is she like, world #2 now?
I believe so --- and about AUD3.7 million dollars better off (minus whatever the French Tax system takes).
Career earnings: $10,142,423 USD (wow!!) and I doubt anyone would begrudge her a cent of that.
Good on her!

I watched the quarters, semi and final and she was so cool, calm and composed even in the semi when she was 5-0 up and then lost that first set she didn't lose it like alot of players would have. She just reset herself and continued to play as she normally would. It showed courage, grit and determination.

Australia has be crying out for a Tennis champion we can all get behind... and we finally have one.

Super proud of Ash and can't wait to see where she can go from here.

Congrats Ash. What a star and a great role model for our kids.

See Nic, if you work hard and weren't such a Wayne K then you might be able to win something as well.

I know, I know, it's allabout the $.

When you grow up, you'll learn one day it's not

Still think she should ditch the summer tennis circuit in Australia and suit up for the WBBL

Can probably do that once the tennis dream is over.
Right now while she's up and about I'd be trying to make hay.

Serena isnt what she was pre-bub and the rest of the top women are inconsistent. Seems like a top 10 merry go round a bit.

Ash mouthing "what the ****" on national TV right after winning Roland-Garros may be the most Australian thing I've ever seen.

loved it; love her.

great indigenous role model too.
Hah yeah that was great. Noticed they don't show it in any of the news clips though

Still think she should ditch the summer tennis circuit in Australia and suit up for the WBBL

Why would she? She’s a fair chance of winning the Aus Open, which is $4.1M for the winner, $2.1M for runner up, $900k to make the semi, $460k the quarter finals.

She’d be lucky to make $30k playing WBBL.

She makes $75k just for showing up to the Aus open and that’s before sponsorship deals etc.

Plus isn’t Tennis her primary ie favourite, sport, she just played a bit of cricket for something else.

Also you can’t just split sports professionally anymore. If she changes to cricket, her tennis game suffers and she ends up half arsing both sports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would she? She’s a fair chance of winning the Aus Open, which is $4.1M for the winner, $2.1M for runner up, $900k to make the semi, $460k the quarter finals.

She’d be lucky to make $30k playing WBBL.

She makes $75k just for showing up to the Aus open and that’s before sponsorship deals etc.

Plus isn’t Tennis her primary ie favourite, sport, she just played a bit of cricket for something else.

Also you can’t just split sports professionally anymore. If she changes to cricket, her tennis game suffers and she ends up half arsing both sports.

She's already done the WBBL anyway. Maybe AFLW. She can join Sam Kerr at training.

Ash mouthing "what the ****" on national TV right after winning Roland-Garros may be the most Australian thing I've ever seen.
loved it; love her. great indigenous role model too.
Yeah, loved that. So OZ.

Read Pat Cash's lips at the 1.00 mark here:

("You ****en BEAUTY!!!").
Also the 42-second moment from this:
where Adam Scott bellows "Come on, Aussie!!"
I've been lucky enough to watch both of those, live; Barty's great win, too.

Amazing achievement, especially as she even admitted that clay is her least favourite surface and they were basically just using the French Open as preparation for an assault on Wimbledon in July.

She is currently sitting equal 2nd in the betting odds (with Kvitova) behind Serena Williams to take that out too.

Pretty incredible rise from Ash Barty. Never remembered seeing her do so well in the Grand Slams in the past? Hopefully she can up with this momentum and we have an extra Aussie idol to cheer for a fair while!

Lol tennis and golf
Anyone got the paint drying championship replay?
If you've nothing good to say about Barty's momentous, inspirational win, why say anything at all?
You know, when I started the thread it occurred to me that some put-down, spoiling, spirit-destroying idiot would come in with something negative to say about it, without realising or appreciating the significance of what Barty has achieved.

You're IT, you absolute mug.

Back