Retired Ashley McGrath (2000-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Todd Banfield

Yeah, it seems that Ash is constantly giving me a mention in his web blog.

I'm not sure how true it all is because he's often the one who takes loaves of bread home with him from the players' lunchroom.

So he needs to practice what he preaches.

Link

Lions defender Ash McGrath dismissed any doubts surrounding his injured elbow last Sunday with a standout performance in the team’s 12-point loss to the Crows.

McGrath collected a career-high 31 disposals, took eight marks, laid five tackles and kicked two goals to amass 140 Dream Team points.

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

Just want to say I think you played an excellent game on the weekend - probably the best I have seen you play. Has Voss ever talked about playing you and Banfield more in a midfield role? I believe we lack some speed.
Craig from Augustine Heights (QLD)

There’s been some talk about moving into the midfield but I’ll stay predominantly down in defence at the moment given the number of injuries we’ve had recently to our backline.

I enjoy moving into the middle when I get the chance, but also love my role in defence.

Link

Ash McGrath looks set for a stint on the sidelines after sustaining a hamstring injury Voss believes will keep him out for more than six weeks.

Link

Defender Ashley McGrath has suffered a grade two tear in his right hamstring which is expected to keep him sidelined for the next 4-6 weeks

Link

Disappointing:

Ash McGrath: Every time he got the ball he seemed to turn straight into oncoming track - clearly his hamstring injury effected his cognitive ability! Was really poor and turned it over constantly. Voss does have a habit of bringing players back a week too early from injury, so perhaps McGrath will come good soon.

mcgrath8.jpg

It was an unusual and very poor game from him and his decision making was woeful but I would contirbute that towards the fact that there was nothing for him down the ground.

Our backline was shellacked on Thursday night but where were our midfield and wingmen? All of the backmen had nothing up the field so that's where I'd be pointing the finger.

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

Hi Ash. Who was your favourite player when you were younger?
Luke from Heathmont (VIC)

Peter Matera from the West Coast Eagles. He’s from WA and is also an old South Fremantle boy. I even tried to style my kicking action on him.

It was an unusual and very poor game from him and his decision making was woeful but I would contirbute that towards the fact that there was nothing for him down the ground.

Our backline was shellacked on Thursday night but where were our midfield and wingmen? All of the backmen had nothing up the field so that's where I'd be pointing the finger.

Ash just has not had the opportunity to put some consecutive games together. Was injured preseason and just when he seems to be getting himself back into form he gets injured or suspended.

Match Review Panel

Ashley McGrath, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with a first offence for engaging in a melee at three quarter time of the round 15 match between the Brisbane Lions and St Kilda, played at the Gabba on Saturday July 10, 2010.

In summary, he can accept a $1200 sanction with an early plea.

A first offence for engaging in a melee is a $1600 sanction. An early plea reduces the penalty by 25 per cent to a $1200 sanction

13/07

All seven Lions players have accepted fines from the AFL Match Review Panel for their involvement in last Saturday night's melee.

Link

Lions defender Ash McGrath is set to play his 150th AFL match this Saturday afternoon when the Lions face Hawthorn at Aurora Stadium in Tasmania.

The 27 year-old began his career as a small forward and was the team's second leading goal-scorer in 2005 when he kicked a career-best 35 goals from 21 games, but has more recently become one of the Lions' most valuable attacking defenders.

mcgrath2.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGrath glad he stayed put in Brisbane

Brisbane AFL defender Ash McGrath once thought of bailing on the Lions and heading west until he reflected on the career of his former teammate and Fremantle forward Des Headland and thought - best not.

McGrath, who lines up for his 150th game against Hawthorn in Launceston on Saturday, says the reason he didn't leave the Lions and head home to Perth was because of Headland's record since leaving the Lions at the end of 2002 to play for the Dockers.

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

Is number 9 your favourite number? Why?
Gary from Cleveland (QLD)

I actually wore the number 6 growing up in WA, but it wasn’t available when I arrived at the Club. So I chose number 9 instead. It’s basically number 6 turned upside down.

Hello Ashley. When you come to Tasmania are you allowed to stay an extra day and night to get to know and love the place a bit?
Molly from Penguin (TAS)

Mum, I know this is you and I go over this with you every year. We can’t stay over. We have to get back to Brisbane as quickly as possible so we can start our recovery for next week. It’s particularly important given we have back-to-back interstate travels. But I’ll be sure to catch up with you in the rooms after the game.

mcgrath5.jpg

Ash McGrath wants to be a Lion for life
  • by Greg Davis
  • July 15, 2010 12:01PM
"I'm a Queenslander now and I'm looking forward to sticking out my footy career here . . . being a one-club player. I've got the 150 down and I want to get to 200."

After being selected at pick No.13 in the 2000 draft, the South Fremantle product played for three minutes in his senior debut in 2001 but forced his way into the 2003 premiership side. He paid tribute to former coach Leigh Matthews and current boss Michael Voss for instilling the right ethic in him.

"Leigh was pretty tough. He gave you the mindset of, if you don't do the hard things and put your head over the footy, you weren't going to have a long career," McGrath said.

mcgrath7.jpg

Just to rub salt into the wounds of a miserable 150th milestone game:

Link

Ashley McGrath has been charged with a level one engaging in rough conduct offence against Sam Mitchell, Hawthorn, during the third quarter of the round 16 match, between the Brisbane Lions and Hawthorn, played at Aurora Stadium on Saturday July 17, 2010.

The incident was assessed as negligent conduct (one point), low impact (one point) and body contact (one point). This is a total of three activation points, resulting in a classification of a level one offence, drawing 125 demerit points and a one-match sanction. He has an existing bad record of one match suspended within the last three years, increasing the penalty by 10 per cent to 137.50 points. He also has 68.75 demerit points carried over from within the last 12 months, increasing the penalty to 206.25 points and a two-match sanction. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to 154.69 points and a one-match sanction.

Did anyone see this incident? Is there any footage of it?

I can't even remember anything occurring during the match.

The footage showed Mitchell remonstrating (which is unusual for him) but it was unclear what had happened.

Link

Ashley McGrath, Brisbane Lions, has accepted a one-match sanction for engaging in rough conduct against Sam Mitchell, Hawthorn, during the third quarter of the Round 16 match, between the Brisbane Lions and Hawthorn, played at Aurora Stadium on Saturday July 17, 2010.

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

Hi Ash, congratulations on your 150th game recently. Do you hold any goals of being in the Leadership Group? From what I hear, you are held in a very high regard by many of your team-mates - particularly the backline players.
Adam from Sunbury (VIC)

Thanks Adam. Nah, I don’t hold any real aspirations of being a part of the Leadership Group.

Being one of the more experienced blokes, you always try and help out when you can. But I’m happy with where I’m at around the Club and I think our current Leadership Group are doing a good job and don’t really need any extra help.

mcgrath7.jpg

Sadly, I suspect Mcgrath was only saved from being dropped after the Hawks game by his suspension. His game against the Hawks was a 0/10 effort and that is being relatively kind. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't come back against the Demons but then again it may be a case of 'ports in a storm'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back