Asia Pacific Poker Tour (APPT)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that tourny could be a bit of a loss leader for Crown

Lets say they meet the grnt (which they've failed on many times in these), we'll be generous and say they smash it with 1100 entrants (including rebuys etc which are all raked). Thats $11,000 in rake collected for the tourny which runs 10 day 1 flights as well as a day 2

With a dealers wage (estimated at $27~, could be way off), with around 30% on costs (super etc) its around $35 per hour just for the dealer to run a single table.

$11,000 in rake will give 314 of dealing/table hours. For the example I'll run it like a normal freeze out, starting with the individual entrants around the 500 mark. In the rebuy period though I wont break any tables, as majority of bustouts will be rebuys and Crown wouldnt be breaking tables this early.

The first hour requires (assuming 11 handed) requires 45 dealing hours. The following hour, which is the end of the rebuy period, require another 45 hours, meaning a total of 90 dealing hours are required at the start. From there things will be pretty slow, and with late entrants etc I'll keep the field size at 500 players until the second break, so another 90 dealing hours over the next two hours.

The next hour is another 45 hours of dealing, but by the end of the level we've lost around 15% of the field, meaning the next hour require 38 dealing hours. Total of dealer hours logged is now 264. We lose 20% of the field in that hour, leaving 340 players left and 30 dealing hours. 294 hours. In the next hour, we are going to crack the amount of dealing hours the rake covers and we havent reached the end of day 1 yet

Those figures are all extremely loose and I've done them on the fly so I could've ****ed them up, but it gives an idea of how hard it is so make money from tourny poker.

I also think that rake is not actually so important for a live $50. Nobody will be playing that as a pro player. They are playing for a couple of hours of fun, with a small hope of a decent score if they get very lucky. So whether 70% of the fees or 80% or 90% get returned doesn't make a huge difference. The winner is going to be delighted whatever happens.

I also think that rake is not actually so important for a live $50. Nobody will be playing that as a pro player. They are playing for a couple of hours of fun, with a small hope of a decent score if they get very lucky. So whether 70% of the fees or 80% or 90% get returned doesn't make a huge difference. The winner is going to be delighted whatever happens.

Yes, basically. Just go there for a few hours of fun and see what happens. i'll play a couple of these no doubt.

I'd question this statement. I don't think the guarantee on the $50 accumulators has ever not been made.

Maybe not, can't say for sure but I know they've fallen short on a few of them but they might have been the $100 100k grnts

What I didn't realise though in my op was a pretty big flaw in my numbers. A field of 1k players is $0 raked for them, they need 1250 players before the any of the rake is makin up the prize pool so the true figures are actually worse than what I said before

Just some random thoughts...

So the $50K guarantee is an accumulator event with 10 day-1 flights. On one hand that's great, as they'll be held over the course of a week, giving people ample opportunities to play. On the other hand, with so many flights, folks who aren't bankrolled for more than a couple of stabs are basically dead money from the start (unless they happen to fluke a big stack on their first or second try).

Conceivably you could buy-in seven times (three days have two flights) and accumulate a monster stack.

Admittedly, skill will likely win out over luck (and probably should), but it seems the weight of numbers, in this instance, is even more against the small-time player.

Having said all that, I'll likely drop a pineapple or two. I haven't played in a Crown event tourney since the Melbourne champs maybe four years ago.

I'd be intrigued to know what the more highly rolled, and more regular, players think is the right strategy for accumulator events.

I think its unbeatable with the massive rake

The structures are really turbod and the advantage of combining stacks isnt that great

I once put a whole lot for the lulz (a bit shy of a thousand I think) and got to combine for a decent stack in day two and cashed around 18th place which didnt cover my buyins

I'll probably just jump in one flight maybe two and try to run something up

I'd question this statement. I don't think the guarantee on the $50 accumulators has ever not been made.

The last time it run, it got overlay, I remember them saying it, it wasn't by too much but it was there

And yeah Judds is right, structures are pretty fast so it's actually not that great to combine stacks and not many people get to. When I played and made it through day 1, I was about 4th out of 9 for the flight but ended up starting 9th when they combined the stacks suggesting not many people were able o do it

I think it was the last or 2nd last $50 event they had, I was chip leader with 3 left and we did a deal. I entered just 2 flights, survived 1 with maybe 140k.

There was a AM event (I think) where Crown had a guarantee that wasn't reached, but the original documents online were changed and the word 'guarantee' was removed. A number of players caused a fuss and Crown backed down and paid the players extra.

There was a AM event (I think) where Crown had a guarantee that wasn't reached, but the original documents online were changed and the word 'guarantee' was removed. A number of players caused a fuss and Crown backed down and paid the players extra.

I think something similar happened with what was ultimately the last of the Partouche Poker Tour events. Players complained and the CEO of the company cracked the sads, and shut down the tour for good.

Yeah I can't remember the specifics but the whole partouche thing was a disaster and they reneged on a grnt in a bad bad way

Plus the whole tourney was run poorly with cheating allegations and some absurd floor rulings in favour of local players

The ISPT (stadium tour at wembley) fell really short of their massive multi million dollar guarantee but paid up, pretty sure the tour isn't going to go any further after that

Anyone played in the Accumulator or any satellites yet? I was planning on having a crack or two at the Accumulator but haven't had the chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I busted about 24th last night. Ran TT into 88 on 886 flop, that cut me in half. I bluffed off my chips at the end with a straight draw that didn't get there. Villain tanked but made a good call with 3rd pair.

Played Tuesday night and busted 3rd hand with 33 on 37T board v 77, rebought and did well ran upto 50k then realised on Sunday I've got a lunch with my oldman for Father's Day so I just punted it off and left

Don't forget West Coast can still make finals :)

I'm also probably not able to play Sunday so my one bullet will be it. I'll check out the Week 2 schedule but I'm pretty busy with work right now.

Just venting my frustrations with the side tourny schedule, the 2:10pm starts annoy me a lot

So many of Crows regs are workers who cant get there until 5-6pm, all you need to do is hang around from 4 onwards to see the influx of people into the room

Offering a 2:10pm start offers no benefit to them, and just lets the schedule run longer into the night than it needs to if it had starting at something like 12:30 or 1:10

There are two types of people, the type that can make it before 5pm and the types that cant. There are more in the latter catagory. Shutting reg off at 4:10 blocks out so many rec players that the fields nearly arent worth showing up for.

Crowns biggest side events where always the late starting ones, and sure people might complain they have to play past 1am or something, but they're still playing, which is better than the current climate.

Start them at 5:30 (or 5:10) and let everyone who wants to play be able to with 2 hours late reg, and bring the final table back the next day at 6pm

It might be a little more work, but the series overall will be better for it with bigger fields more prizemoney and in turn the next time the APPT comes into town, more players may come in early for the side action

Will probs play Main event tomorrow night for my first and only event of the series

Been hella busy with work so havent been able to get in any events, not sure whether I want to bust before sunday for the footy or not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back