Asian cricketers

Franco Vazquez

Senior List
Jan 11, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Any young Asian cricketers coming up? By Asian, I mean Far Eastern (Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Korean etc) not South Asian? I know NZ have a few like Chapman (HK), Max Chu (China?). I know there are none in England, what about in Australia, SA, NZ etc?

Well, Japan had a team in the u19 World Cup last year, did they not.

England have a young pace bowler closing in on national selection named Issy Wong, she was included in Cricinfo's 20 women's players of the 2020s prospective piece.

Franco Vazquez

Senior List
Jan 11, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well, Japan had a team in the u19 World Cup last year, did they not.

England have a young pace bowler closing in on national selection named Issy Wong, she was included in Cricinfo's 20 women's players of the 2020s prospective piece.

Yeah but they were worse than a school cricket game. They had a few Aussie weebs too

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah but they were worse than a school cricket game. They had a few Aussie weebs too
Japan does somewhat surprisingly have a very low percentage of expatriates in their cricket teams over the years (I suppose it's a side effect of Japan's extremely strong resistance to longterm immigration into the country). Still, if you look at, say, Germany's side it's basically entirely people from cricket playing nations (not that there's anything wrong with that, but represents that there is zero growth of the game in the region).

Franco Vazquez

Senior List
Jan 11, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Japan does somewhat surprisingly have a very low percentage of expatriates in their cricket teams over the years (I suppose it's a side effect of Japan's extremely strong resistance to longterm immigration into the country). Still, if you look at, say, Germany's side it's basically entirely people from cricket playing nations (not that there's anything wrong with that, but represents that there is zero growth of the game in the region).

Really? I thought their strict immigration rules were targeted to immigrants from Asian countries (Pak, India, Bang etc) because I know a fair bit of British and Australians living there.

PSL franchise Peshawar Zalmi had a few Chinese players in their set up a few years ago but don't know where are they now. Actually, Pakistan has quite a few Chinese too so there is a chance we might see a few Chinese playing in Pakistan domestic in future.

I have an Asian Aussie mate who I've known since early primary school when Sam was very much one of the few or even only Asian kid in the classroom and he bowled a decent off break and could make some useful runs. He made his school first XI but didn't play on from there when he was more than capable. That said he retired last year so it's hard to fault his decision.

Franco Vazquez

Senior List
Jan 11, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Current Hobart Hurricane Tim David has chalked up over a dozen ODI’s for Singapore including a high score of 92.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is not Asian. Just an Australian who was born in Singapore

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Any young Asian cricketers coming up? By Asian, I mean Far Eastern (Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Korean etc) not South Asian? I know NZ have a few like Chapman (HK), Max Chu (China?). I know there are none in England, what about in Australia, SA, NZ etc?
Does your mother know you’re seeking out young Asian and Filipino boys on the internet?

Not really related to the thread question except for that of cricket being played by people not usually associated with the game, but I did read once about a club in Compton, California that does wonderful things with those wanting to avoid gangs.

More related to the thread, I believe there is some minor following in Hong Kong, but seems to be quite upper class, and a remnant of the British colony. Not sure of the quality, though.

Edit: just reminded myself that there is a proper Hong Kong side, and of course the sixes tournament.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Not really related to the thread question except for that of cricket being played by people not usually associated with the game, but I did read once about a club in Compton, California that does wonderful things with those wanting to avoid gangs.

More related to the thread, I believe there is some minor following in Hong Kong, but seems to be quite upper class, and a remnant of the British colony. Not sure of the quality, though.

Edit: just reminded myself that there is a proper Hong Kong side, and of course the sixes tournament.
Hong Kong side made up predominantly of expats from Pakistan

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The ex 1st XI Capt of my local club is head of cricket in Japan and has been for a few years now. Every year he sends one or two players from their national team back to our local for the season (except this year due to Covid). They have all been handy 3rd/2nd Eleven standard but not first XI. (sub district).

They fit in well to the club and seem to enjoy their time in AUS and are always popular. Most have great throwing arms due to growing up playing baseball.

Back