Religion Ask a Christian - Continued in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can have very strong evidence for a resurrected Jesus

That's the thing. I'm yet to read of any "strong evidence", other than the claim that there's "strong evidence."

then they have no choice but to look for other reasons no matter how unlikely they seem.. otherwise you’d be a Christian.

How unlikely they seem? Is physical resurrection from the dead so usual that it can be considered the most plausible reason that fits the "facts"?

So I ask again. Why is a supernatural resurrection the most likely reason?

I’m sorry I haven’t taken you seriously but what are the facts ?

Have you actually read anything I've posted? I numbered them very clearly earlier.

That's the thing. I'm yet to read of any "strong evidence", other than the claim that there's "strong evidence."

How unlikely they seem? Is physical resurrection from the dead so usual that it can be considered the most plausible reason that fits the "facts"?

Have you actually read anything I've posted? I numbered them very clearly earlier.

Were they facts?

In your case no. The supernatural resurrection is not the most likely reason.
In my case it definitely is. I’m blessed, chosen .. what can I say. I know things you don’t.
Sorry

In my case it definitely is. I’m blessed, chosen .. what can I say. I know things you don’t.

You believe things by faith that I don't. That's your prerogative of course.

If faith alone is to be regarded as valid then absolutely anything goes. Any assertion by any religious group, cult or individual, no matter how implausible or fanciful, is then valid.

You believe things by faith that I don't. That's your prerogative of course.

If faith alone is to be regarded as valid then absolutely anything goes. Any assertion by any religious group, cult or individual, no matter how implausible or fanciful, is then valid.

You have to give the founders of the Church their due credit. They said they saw a resurrected Jesus and they went on and acted like they saw a resurrected Jesus “ It was either put up or shut up and they put up“.
Actions speak louder than words. I’m just a mans man. No pun intended.

You have to give the founders of the Church their due credit. They said they saw a resurrected Jesus and they went on and acted like they saw a resurrected Jesus

Just like Joseph Smith said he was visited by an angel named Moroni while praying one night in 1823. Smith said that this angel revealed the location of a buried book made of golden plates, (the golden plates were engraved by two pre-Columbian prophet-historians from around the year AD 400 - Mormon and his son Moroni) as well as other artifacts, including a breastplate and a set of interpreters composed of two seer stones set in a frame.

Eyewitnesses said Smith translated the plates, not by looking at them, but by looking at a seer stone in the bottom of his hat. Three men later signed a statement stating that they had been shown the golden plates by an angel, and that the voice of God had confirmed the truth of their translation. Later, a further group of 'eight witnesses' — composed of male members of the Whitmer and Smith families — issued a statement that they had been shown the golden plates by Smith

Moroni was also resurrected after his death and became an angel who directed Joseph Smith to the location of the buried golden plates in the 1820s.

Of course.

and they went on and acted like they saw a resurrected Jesus

And Smith went on and acted like he saw the angel Moroni. Smith also claimed that Peter, James, and John had appeared to him and had ordained him to a higher priesthood to control the newly formed Mormon church. He went on to recruit actively to the point by the time of his death in 1844, there were about 25,000 followers. Today there are over 16 million.

Last edited:
Just like Joseph Smith said he was visited by an angel named Moroni while praying one night in 1823. Smith said that this angel revealed the location of a buried book made of golden plates, (the golden plates were engraved by two pre-Columbian prophet-historians from around the year AD 400 - Mormon and his son Moroni) as well as other artifacts, including a breastplate and a set of interpreters composed of two seer stones set in a frame.

Eyewitnesses said Smith translated the plates, not by looking at them, but by looking at a seer stone in the bottom of his hat. Three men later signed a statement stating that they had been shown the golden plates by an angel, and that the voice of God had confirmed the truth of their translation. Later, a further group of 'eight witnesses' — composed of male members of the Whitmer and Smith families — issued a statement that they had been shown the golden plates by Smith

Moroni was also resurrected after his death and became an angel who directed Joseph Smith to the location of the buried golden plates in the 1820s.

Of course.

And Smith went on and acted like he saw the angel Moroni. Smith also claimed that Peter, James, and John had appeared to him and had ordained him to a higher priesthood to control the newly formed Mormon church. He went on to recruit actively to the point by the time of his death in 1844, there were about 25,000 followers. Today there are over 16 million.

Good for him

Good for him

Do you believe Joseph Smith's supernatural claims about angels, golden plates etc.? There were eyewitnesses who swore that what Smith said was true and they acted upon it. In that case it must be true?

If you don't beleive Smith's claims why not? And if not, why are the claims about the physical resurrection of Jesus more believable?

Do you believe Joseph Smith's supernatural claims about angels, golden plates etc.? There were eyewitnesses who swore that what Smith said was true and they acted upon it. In that case it must be true?

If you don't beleive Smith's claims why not? And if not, why are the claims about the physical resurrection of Jesus more believable?

Another Christ based church in protestant USA? I don’t know much about it... did they see a resurrected Jesus ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another Christ based church in protestant USA? I don’t know much about it... did they see a resurrected Jesus ?

They saw a resurrected pre-Columbian prophet-historian, turned angel Moroni. Or so they claim.

Just as implausible as a physical resurrected Jesus.

They saw a resurrected pre-Columbian prophet-historian, turned angel Moroni. Or so they claim.

Just as implausible as a physical resurrected Jesus.

I played in a band with his sister, Boney. She seemed to prefer performing unplugged.

So you can't, just as I thought.
I was right all along when I thought I was dealing with an intellectual lightweight.
Your first and most egregious mistake was to think that you have been thinking. You are mindlessly parroting the thoughts of others. Others, whose own attempts at thought have proved merely to be the plagiarised twaddle of equally deluded cretins.

Give up thieving others so-called thoughts. Have at least one of your own in your life. It's like sex, for some, - it might be exhausting, but in the end it can be satisfying. This will necessitate some fitness training. A start would be to chuck out everything you've previously thought constituted thinking. I can assure you, you won't miss any of what you discard.

Be a man/woman. Be brave enough to start again. Embrace the exciting void your life could be becoming.

Don't forget, you have a friend in dog.

Why was Christianity relevant in 200AD but not now?
Abrahamic religion was all-encompassing in its heyday. The bible was seen as a source of knowledge for both the physical and spiritual realms.

Modern knowledge has knocked the bible down a few pegs, in so far that most believers now consider it solely a spiritual book. In my humble opinion, an unbiased observer would see that the bible contains outdated medical, scientific, moral, and political 'truth' when judged by modern Western standards.

You can have very strong evidence for a resurrected Jesus but to convince someone like yourself that hasn’t experienced God... then they have no choice but to look for other reasons no matter how unlikely they seem.. otherwise you’d be a Christian.

I’m sorry I haven’t taken you seriously but what are the facts ?
There is NO objective evidence for any of the supernatural claims in the bible. None whatsoever. There are plenty of claims made in the bible that can be tested scientifically, but God apparently doesn't like being tested. Is he shy?

Lots of people experience 'God', yet many call themselves Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc. The 'god experience' is a delusion. Religion is nothing more than Santa Claus for adults.

Abrahamic religion was all-encompassing in its heyday. The bible was seen as a source of knowledge for both the physical and spiritual realms.

Modern knowledge has knocked the bible down a few pegs, in so far that most believers now consider it solely a spiritual book. In my humble opinion, an unbiased observer would see that the bible contains outdated medical, scientific, moral, and political 'truth' when judged by modern Western standards.

Except there was no Bible in 200AD.

There is NO objective evidence for any of the supernatural claims in the bible. None whatsoever. There are plenty of claims made in the bible that can be tested scientifically, but God apparently doesn't like being tested. Is he shy?

Lots of people experience 'God', yet many call themselves Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc. The 'god experience' is a delusion. Religion is nothing more than Santa Claus for adults.

Well test them scientifically? Who cares. So lots of people experience God. What’s your problem .. your the minority.

What ? Snakes can’t t talk ! When did science find out about this ?

The Bible hey day didn’t start until after the reformation. Fundamentalism and a literalistic view of the Bible is relatively modern.

Well test them scientifically? Who cares. So lots of people experience God. What’s your problem .. your the minority.
Prayer examined...no objective evidence for biblical claims.

"they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." Mark 16:18

If you or any members of your church are willing to hold venomous snakes and drink poison to test those claims, I'm sure 'God' will prove the veracity of the bible.

If people of all faiths experience 'God', then why can't atheists experience god too? I believe in the unholy trinity of afl, beer, and pizza.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back