Religion Ask a Christian - Continued in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about the Passover story, but the similarities between "Matthew's" account and the story of the Pharoah killing the Hebrew children are singificant.

The emperor Augustus reportedly quipped, “It is better to be Herod’s pig than son” (Macrobius, Saturnalia, 2:4:11), so Herod trying to kill his grandson because of his Hasmonean lineage, as a possible threat to his own throne is plausible. That's why he executed his wife Mariamne, their two sons and his eldest son Antipater because he married a woman of Hasmonean lineage.

Nah I was wrong about that. Got my stories mixed up. The Passover stuff (all the first-borns slaughtered) was from the time of Moses. Herod had all the babies slaughtered when Jesus was born. Scorched-earth policies all round though.

Lemme get this straight, so god is responsible for all the technological and medical advancements we have

Yet, for the thousands of years before any people discovered those advancements, god sat on his hands and let millions of people die of preventable causes that could've been saved by these same medicine/technology, while withholding such knowledge

Sounds like a complete sociopath

Or just a fraud claiming credit for good things he did not do and shifting blame for bad things he did do

How?

Before, we were discussing things in terms of theory and biblical application. Here, we're discussing things in terms of a modern construct that has little if anything to do with any form of theism in its modern incarnation.

Let's say, specifically, the discovery of penicillin. If God willed that Alexander Fleming found the contamination which led to his discovery, how then is he responsible for the medical breakthrough?

Because he still had to make the choice, even though it was ordained that he would, just as Pharaoh had to make the choice to not let Israel go, even though it was ordained that he would.

Because he still had to make the choice, even though it was ordained that he would, just as Pharaoh had to make the choice to not let Israel go, even though it was ordained that he would.
Two contradictions within a single sentence. I even made it relatively easy for you; the discovery of penicillin was a complete fluke.

Is God responsible for the discovery of Penicillin? Yes or no. Is Alexander Fleming responsible for the discovery of Penicillin? Yes or no. To what extent are each of them responsible for the discovery of Penicillin? Percentage figure, please.

Didn't realise this was a church but if you are the self-appointed ministry then perhaps you could offer some guidance and assistance rather than abuse and vitriol.

There is no agenda aside from learning. Do not be so stuck up and instead do as Jesus would want you to do and be kind and gracious "love your enemy" etc. you should know this because it's is written in the scripture.

Also have a sense of humour. God did, if he didn't then he wouldn't have told everyone not to covet donkey/ass. and made donkey/ass so enticing.
Your humour is one way.
It was you that said you wanted help, but thought I was not a Christian.
You are not my enemy, just searching for the truth.

Your humour is one way.
It was you that said you wanted help, but thought I was not a Christian.
You are not my enemy, just searching for the truth.
Ok then you are a Christian. I would like some help understanding why people believe in Christianity can you please answer some questions?

And also sex does make me really happy, like, it is literally the best. I mean I like lots of simple pleasures too like spending time with my family and a good cup of soup but it's not as good as *******, it's just not.
Are you serious? You’re either a sex addict or a virgin

Thank you.

I would like to start with some basic demographic questions please.

Are you married, divorced/separated, widowed, or single? And what denomination of Christianity do you subscribe to?
Married, long time, 36 years.
Christian- Born Again.
Previous Catholic.
Now attend a Baptist Church.
I have been admonished by Cooldude, so a more wordy reply

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a guy desperate to preach and convert people by asking for their life stories on why they hate Christianity, you sure ain't open about your own history. No surprises there, not an ounce of honesty
Nothing dishonest about my reply.
Married, 36 years now.
Christian. Born Again.
As I've said before.

Not desperate to convert anyone; it won't be me doing the converting. People who genuinely seek God will find Him. Sometimes Christians are there as seed sowers.

Suuuure, only released your martial status and age after I outed ya

Still wouldn't disclose your denomination, but sure keep telling yourself that you're honest
I am Christian, nothing more to say. That's what I disclose on any questionnaires. What Church I go to is irrelevant. But not Pentecostal fwiw.
You outed me did you? Have not disclosed my age, but not hard to sus it out. Not ashamed or embarrassed about it, just wasn't sure it was a genuine interest to said poster. I know for sure it is not to you, but appreciate the civility tonight.
Have copped a fair am out of abuse here and a poster who has joined in that asks some questions that I have previously answered.

Btw, If it made a difference, happy to discuss why I attend a local Baptist Church, after having been brought up as a Catholic.

I am Christian, nothing more to say. That's what I disclose on any questionnaires. What Church I go to is irrelevant. But not Pentecostal fwiw.
You outed me did you? Have not disclosed my age, but not hard to sus it out. Not ashamed or embarrassed about it, just wasn't sure it was a genuine interest to said poster. I know for sure it is not to you, but appreciate the civility tonight.
Have copped a fair am out of abuse here and a poster who has joined in that asks some questions that I have previously answered.

Btw, If it made a difference, happy to discuss why I attend a local Baptist Church, after having been brought up as a Catholic.

I'd say it's very relevant even among Christian circles since they are the ones who are particular about the denominations, the way you keep ducking the question suggests you have something to hide, or something you are ashamed of if your denomination is revealed

Good on you for finally answering some of the questions honestly only after being called out on not answering them, on the third try.

Two contradictions within a single sentence. I even made it relatively easy for you; the discovery of penicillin was a complete fluke.

Is God responsible for the discovery of Penicillin? Yes or no. Is Alexander Fleming responsible for the discovery of Penicillin? Yes or no. To what extent are each of them responsible for the discovery of Penicillin? Percentage figure, please.
I feel another sales pitch is about to be thrown your way

Married, long time, 36 years.
Christian- Born Again.
Previous Catholic.
Now attend a Baptist Church.
Thank you! Wow, this is very interesting.

What led you to become born again? Was there an epiphany?
Did you become born again yourself? Is your wife born again or are you born again yourself?
I didn't realise there were many baptists in Australia, did you do the whole water submission? I thought all the baptists they were in the poor countries and southern america. What sort of batpist do you do- orthodox, reformed, etc?
Do you believe in the second coming, and if so, did you see this COVID situation unfold and think for a second "*, it's here!"?

Are you serious? You’re either a sex addict or a virgin
Eat s**t Barry. Hanging out with mum and dad is nice, but I don't think it's as nice as making love to a beautiful woman. Maybe you just don't know how to do it right.

Eat sh*t Barry. Hanging out with mum and dad is nice, but I don't think it's as nice as making love to a beautiful woman. Maybe you just don't know how to do it right.
Ah a virgin..thought so.
1594337163246.gif

If you are so far gone that you can even accept a hypothetical premise that is plainly acceptable and logical, how can I trust that you are approaching anything logically?
Hold on a second,

Are you trying to say that it is "logical" for a dead body in a cave to suddenly came to life after three days, hang out with a few people and then rise into the sky?

That's not logic, that's madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back