Religion Ask a Christian - Continued in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Would you care to elaborate?

ive been to both ends of the spectrum. Been close to God as a kid, drifted, lived a life where I felt I was headed in the right direction but in reality I was falling into ruin, and the only way back was through Him.

that’s where I’m at and I don’t feel the need to justify it to anyone beyond myself.

I think this is funny, quite possibly one of the funniest things I've read on here.

You're actively not disproving or disputing that God (as he is portrayed in the OT) is narcissistic. If anything this reply compounds that narcissism.

And I'm perfectly content not understanding the gibberish of the original post, because the words were not in an order designed to create meaning, whether literal or metaphor. I can speak so no-one can understand, too; does that mean I am a god?

Snorkel. Green. Cheese and cornflakes. Breathe and live shirty.

Amen.
Calling God names is futility at its worst.
If He exists, good luck.
If not, why bother with all of this?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
where did I say it was?
Can you find that for me?

I was responded to the intonation that the world is somehow always going to be better without organised religion.

it’s a ridiculous idea because there is a tonne of proof that it wouldn’t be any different. Humankind is full of bell-ends. It always will be. Greed and power and the desire to dominate will ensure that there will always be hate, violence and misery somewhere.

Reread what I replied to.

Yes I do think the world would be a better place without organised religion.

There will always be scumbags no doubt, doesn’t mean getting rid of the biggest power mad cults won’t improve things some.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Calling God names is futility at its worst.
If He exists, good luck.
If not, why bother with all of this?
If he exists, I hope he's listening, because he is not worthy of my worship if the OT is an example of how he behaves. Mind control, forced compliance, temper tantrums resulting in massacres; you name it, he's asked for it, up to rape and incest.

If not, the fact that you don't care about the fact that he's complicit in the above is troubling. If every christian is comfortable with this, that's adequate reason to 'bother with all of this' to me.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
How disappointing are the Christians here?

Just admit you're relying on subjective experience and be done with it. We know you're full of s**t. The problem is that you don't know you're full of s**t.

chelseacarlton

BLUE it's the Magic Number
10k Posts Sensible Type Chess Club Member Pantskyle
Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists
sorry but I don’t have to justify anything and I’m not sure why you think anyone does
You’re on thread that some of us consider a form of debate more than feely feel feels.
As for someone having having to justify their beliefs, when those beliefs are used to justify policy making, morality judgements, the poisoning of children’s minds, cutting genitalia of newly born/of age children, medical, political, scientific, ethical, philosophical progress, you’d better have a ******* decent argument and justification for this belief!
This ain’t rocket surgery, sheeshuz h!

If he exists, I hope he's listening, because he is not worthy of my worship if the OT is an example of how he behaves. Mind control, forced compliance, temper tantrums resulting in massacres; you name it, he's asked for it, up to rape and incest.

If not, the fact that you don't care about the fact that he's complicit in the above is troubling. If every christian is comfortable with this, that's adequate reason to 'bother with all of this' to me.
If He exists, how did you come to have such a conscience? It is HIS world and creation. You ask mm's to try and explain the modus operandi of the Creator. That is farcical.
Again, if He doesn't exist, why the anger? Nothing evil ever happened; the OT is fiction; the world is yours, do whatever feels right for you. You are intelligent, and in control of everything in your life.

How disappointing are the Christians here?

Just admit you're relying on subjective experience and be done with it. We know you're full of sh*t. The problem is that you don't know you're full of sh*t.
What evidence do you have for this constipation problem afflicting Christians? Was that your issue, so you evacuated yourself?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
What evidence do you have for this constipation problem afflicting Christians? Was that your issue, so you evacuated yourself?
I was speaking metaphorically. If you can't understand posts on a football forum, how are you going to understand the bible or a science text?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
You’re on thread that some of us consider a form of debate more than feely feel feels.
As for someone having having to justify their beliefs, when those beliefs are used to justify policy making, morality judgements, the poisoning of children’s minds, cutting genitalia of newly born/of age children, medical, political, scientific, ethical, philosophical progress, you’d better have a ******* decent argument and justification for this belief!
This ain’t rocket surgery, sheeshuz h!

sorry but my beliefs aren’t used to justify any of these things

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
If He exists, how did you come to have such a conscience? It is HIS world and creation. You ask mm's to try and explain the modus operandi of the Creator. That is farcical.
Lazy. Morals don't come from god; they are formed out of our being a social animal, and have evolved as we have in order to greater facilitate societal harmony and perpetuation. Religion itself is one of the ways that these morals were packaged in order to ensure compliance and understanding.

Secondly, if morals did come from god, why is he held above them, to different standards than we are? One rule for the rulers? We're back to not being deserving of worship.
Again, if He doesn't exist, why the anger? Nothing evil ever happened; the OT is fiction; the world is yours, do whatever feels right for you. You are intelligent, and in control of everything in your life.
It could be that I feel lied to, because I was lied to. It could be that I feel conned, because I was conned. It could be that I was indoctrinated as a child, because - like all kids raised to go to church and to believe instead of think - I was indoctrinated as a child.

Why do you presume to tell other people what to feel?

Look at this from another angle. It's not better if there is no god, it's worse; there was no reason for the lying, the punishment, the nightmares and the blood. It was all other people, people like you. Why shouldn't we be angry, Vdubs? Why indeed?

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Mate it’s called ‘ask a Christian.’

it’s not
‘Mock a christian’
‘Make a Christian try to justify what they believe in’
‘Ask a Christian what they believe in and then tell them they’re wrong because you disagree with it’

why shouldn’t he post in here?

as for your last point, if he felt like he was being eaten alive I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t post here.

all I’ve seen him post is personal applications of what his belief has done in his life and professions that he believes it is real.

you wouldn’t ask a football fan why they support a team and then tell them they’re wrong just because you don’t see things from the same angle as they do
... are you telling me this isn't the 'Teabag a Christian' thread?

Dear me, I must've gotten lost!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back