Religion Ask a Christian - Continued in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's more whether you are worth arguing with. Some just don't have the ability to be spiritual .. that's why we have a Church so those that can't can get lumped in with those that can. We are looking out for you brother .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's fine to be spiritual and open oneself to all possibilities. That makes for a clever person.
It just not a particularly smart person that lends themselves to believing something bronze aged man dished up for self-serving purposes.

The same Bill O'Reilly that has just been sacked for sexual harassment.

Not the best endorsement for Christianity. Absolute pig of a human being. :)
That was my point, should have included a ;) in my post. Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort on the other hand, great representatives of the christian faith, they've worked out the banana.

That was my point, should have included a ;) in my post. Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort on the other hand, great representatives of the christian faith, they've worked out the banana.

How many times has Bill O'Reilly wheeled out that "Tide goes in.....Tide goes out....Explain that?" s**t? :)

Just believe in god and do away with common sense and science. What can possibly go wrong?

It's fine to be spiritual and open oneself to all possibilities. That makes for a clever person.
It just not a particularly smart person that lends themselves to believing something bronze aged man dished up for self-serving purposes.

Your a proof man ? How do you know Christianity was dished up for self serving purposes?

Throw away lines have no place in this serious discussion please stick to pictures with cute comments underneath if you want to make a point... this is 21th century not the Bronze Age.

How many times has Bill O'Reilly wheeled out that "Tide goes in.....Tide goes out....Explain that?" s**t? :)

Just believe in god and do away with common sense and science. What can possibly go wrong?

Bill Tiger O'Rielly

"Sir Donald Bradman said that he was the greatest bowler he had ever faced or watched."

I must be getting old

Please explain exactly how the clever apostles and Jesus served themselves anything one could refer to as benefits by spreading their beliefs?

Silly comment. Let's trawl for some nasty non believer behavior. Would that be a poor endorsement for atheism?

Show me one from someone that others look up to.

Please explain exactly how the clever apostles and Jesus served themselves anything one could refer to as benefits by spreading their beliefs?

Apostles....Jesus....Virgin Birth....Noah....Moses..........Thinkers don't lend themselves openly to what has been espoused to have happened 20 years ago, let alone 2000 years ago.......when you really think about it......Why would anyone? Think about it.

Show me one from someone that others look up to.

Apostles....Jesus....Virgin Birth....Noah....Moses..........Thinkers don't lend themselves openly to what has been espoused to have happened 20 years ago, let alone 2000 years ago.......when you really think about it......Why would anyone? Think about it.

Lawrence Krauss claims nothing is actually something. Not bad behavior-just an unbelievable stupid comment. Yet thousands look up to him and claim he is a genius. Do you?
I am still waiting for an explanation for labelling Jesus/ early Christians, self serving.

It doesn't have to be answered just that it's a valid question and that we can ask it , is enough for those kicking around religions. Shows our place in existence .. it's our duty.
But please yourself.. for some it's fun for others it's annoying.

If a question doesn't need to be answered at-least in some form then why pose it?

Its obvious the question of 'what made matter' is something that he is seeking the answer in, as it's what caused him to find religion. How can you find religion, to seek an answer to a question, that you've already determined doesn't need to be answered? By that inference there was no point in him finding religion, as he would never find the answer to his original question that brought him to religion.

Last edited:
If a question doesn't need to be answered at-least in some form then why pose it?

Its obvious the question of 'what made matter' is something that he is seeking the answer in, as it's what caused him to find religion. How can you find religion, to seek an answer to a question, that you've already determined doesn't need to be answered? By that inference there was no point in him finding religion, as he would never find the answer to his original question that brought him to religion.

It may of been just a spark.. enough for him to entertain the idea that somethings are beyond our minds.. religion isn't about believing in God.. it's about peace and joy no matter what life deals you.

It may of been just a spark.. enough for him to entertain the idea that somethings are beyond our minds.. religion isn't about believing in God.. it's about peace and joy no matter what life deals you.

Thanks Boston .. it was more of a check that what I knew intuitively was a definite possibility. Just wondering if you had looked into Thomas Aquinas much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lawrence Krauss claims nothing is actually something. Not bad behavior-just an unbelievable stupid comment. Yet thousands look up to him and claim he is a genius. Do you?
I am still waiting for an explanation for labelling Jesus/ early Christians, self serving.

Welcome to the world of the throw away line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That doesn't make sense, religion is literally the belief/faith/theology in a higher power. To say it isn't in a about believing in god, would nullify the bible which encompasses the teachings of Jesus, and defeat the purpose of Christianity and the church.

You can't be Christian and not believe in god at same time.

That doesn't make sense, religion is literally the belief/faith/theology in a higher power. To say it isn't in a about believing in god, would nullify the bible which encompasses the teachings of Jesus, and defeat the purpose of Christianity and the church.

You can't be Christian and not believe in god at same time.

Yes but it's not just about believing in God. Believing in God doesn't make you happy. Christ was a doer and doing Christ like things make you happy and brings you closer to God. Plenty of people naturally live a Christian life without a belief or Church but it's easier to get off track and lose sight of those important things without structure ...if you aren't reminded about things at least once a week or have a strong dogma to keep you focussed sometimes things can get a bit blurry. We get in the way of our own happiness.

Christian brethren, once again I will pose the question - how do you reconcile the fact that there is so much evidence available to everyone that refutes the story of Noah and his Ark, and refutes the idea that there is a 'young earth?'

Christian brethren, once again I will pose the question - how do you reconcile the fact that there is so much evidence available to everyone that refutes the story of Noah and his Ark, and refutes the idea that there is a 'young earth?'

The flood myth is an old archetypal one & has many precedents, though it's actually Old Testament, not new, so it's not unique to Christianity.

Pretty sure only literalist fundy's & Creationists ascribe to the young-earth view....So probably not particularly representative of mainstream Christianity.

The flood myth is an old archetypal one & has many precedents, though it's actually Old Testament, not new, so it's not unique to Christianity.

Pretty sure only literalist fundy's & Creationists ascribe to the young-earth view....So probably not particularly representative of mainstream Christianity.

Yeah, I am aware that the myth (the Noah version anyhow) was essentially stolen from the Epic of Gilgamesh, the fable of Ziasudra and also the fable of Atrahasis. They don't call it the Iraqi flood-plains for nothing.

There is just literally no way it occurred the way the Bible claims it did - and that is based on the physical evidence at hand, let alone the fact the story was plagiarised from those other fables and myths that I have just mentioned.

I have more of an issue with the fundies for obvious reasons. However they will tell you their version of Christianity is the only right one and the new age Christians are proponents of a perverted version of Christianity when it comes down to it. Though I don't imagine any real hardcore fundies post in BigFooty of all places...

Firstly flood narratives are in plenty of ancient cultures, so it would be reasonable to think that SOMETHING happened. Secondly, in regards to the age of the earth, I'll say what I say to everyone.

I know not and I care not.

Yeah, I am aware that the myth (the Noah version anyhow) was essentially stolen from the Epic of Gilgamesh, the fable of Ziasudra and also the fable of Atrahasis. They don't call it the Iraqi flood-plains for nothing.

There is just literally no way it occurred the way the Bible claims it did - and that is based on the physical evidence at hand, let alone the fact the story was plagiarised from those other fables and myths that I have just mentioned.

I have more of an issue with the fundies for obvious reasons. However they will tell you their version of Christianity is the only right one and the new age Christians are proponents of a perverted version of Christianity when it comes down to it. Though I don't imagine any real hardcore fundies post in BigFooty of all places...

??

Firstly flood narratives are in plenty of ancient cultures, so it would be reasonable to think that SOMETHING happened. Secondly, in regards to the age of the earth, I'll say what I say to everyone.

Firstly, you know not as in you have literally no idea? Or, you don't know the exact date (which no one does, obviously)?

Do you believe the earth is 6,000 to 10,000 years old as per the Bible?

Assuming you are a Christian, one that believes the Bible is the inerrant word of god, I would think that the age of the earth is something to care about. Especially given it is the inerrant word of god that claims that the Earth is a mere 6,000 odd years old - which is evidently not the case.

Given the Genesis Story is literally the first thing in the bible I would have thought this whole issue is pivotal to one's beliefs?

I understand that modern Christians wish to avoid this topic, or claim they don't care due to the wild inconsistencies with actual reality. But that is simply head-in-the-sand kind of stuff.

What worries me though is people don't believe, or care about, critical thinking or science. Further it is very dangerous, if you have a group who vote that don't think about issues carefully rather just accept what they are told.

We have seen groups mobilised by religion preying on ignorance, fear and hatred. How can one belong to an organisation or share the same faith knowing that christianity has been a tool for mobilising such horrors?

Firstly, you know not as in you have literally no idea? Or, you don't know the exact date (which no one does, obviously)?

Do you believe the earth is 6,000 to 10,000 years old as per the Bible?

Assuming you are a Christian, one that believes the Bible is the inerrant word of god, I would think that the age of the earth is something to care about. Especially given it is the inerrant word of god that claims that the Earth is a mere 6,000 odd years old - which is evidently not the case.

Given the Genesis Story is literally the first thing in the bible I would have thought this whole issue is pivotal to one's beliefs?

I understand that modern Christians wish to avoid this topic, or claim they don't care due to the wild inconsistencies with actual reality. But that is simply head-in-the-sand kind of stuff.

Don't know
Don't know
No it doesn't
What do you think the purpose of the first 11 chapters of genesis are?
No it isn't

What worries me though is people don't believe, or care about, critical thinking or science. Further it is very dangerous, if you have a group who vote that don't think about issues carefully rather just accept what they are told.

We have seen groups mobilised by religion preying on ignorance, fear and hatred. How can one belong to an organisation or share the same faith knowing that christianity has been a tool for mobilising such horrors?

Which people? Be careful who you are tarring because there are some incredibly intelligent people you are dismissing.

Do you really think that only religious people are the only ones who don't think before voting and follow blindly? There are a few political parties who can challenge that belief.

Religion AND lack of religion have both been used by evil people for selfish purposes.
Should I dismiss my beliefs because some dirtbag has used it for evil intent? Then my focus is not on the person of Christ revealed in the bible, but on man which is foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back