Religion Ask a Christian - Continued in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prayer examined...no objective evidence for biblical claims.

"they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." Mark 16:18

If you or any members of your church are willing to hold venomous snakes and drink poison to test those claims, I'm sure 'God' will prove the veracity of the bible.

If people of all faiths experience 'God', then why can't atheists experience god too? I believe in the unholy trinity of afl, beer, and pizza.

Just on the snakes thing .. don’t try it yourself.

Well we have done the science in why some people get God and some don’t on another thread. Neuroscientists have done studies that show ... etc.

The obvious one is where you are an the autism spectrum.

The surprising study was those that use the visual part of their brain more than others for understanding will struggle. God is something you can’t visualise so there is the struggle. They are the ones on the God threads that keep posting nemes and pictures.

Prayer examined...no objective evidence for biblical claims.

"they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." Mark 16:18

If you or any members of your church are willing to hold venomous snakes and drink poison to test those claims, I'm sure 'God' will prove the veracity of the bible.

If people of all faiths experience 'God', then why can't atheists experience god too? I believe in the unholy trinity of afl, beer, and pizza.

It happens
“A snake-handling pastor who appeared on the National Geographic television reality show "Snake Salvation" has died after being bitten by a snake during a weekend church service in Kentucky.
Jamie Coots was handling a rattlesnake at his Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus Name Church in Middlesboro when he was bitten on the hand Saturday night, another preacher, Cody Winn, told WBIR-TV. After the bite, Coots dropped the snakes, but then picked them back up and continued on. Within minutes, Winn said Coots headed to the bathroom.

"He had one of the rattlers in his hand, he came over and he was standing beside me. It was plain view, it just turned its head and bit him in the back of the hand … within a second," Winn said.

When an ambulance arrived at the church at 8:30 p.m. Saturday, they were told Coots had gone home, the Middlesboro Police Department said in a statement. Contacted at his house, Coots refused medical treatment, believing that to accept it would show a lack of faith in God's power to heal him. Emergency workers left about 9:10 p.m. that night. When they returned about an hour later, Coots was dead from a venomous snake bite, police added.”

When push comes to shove.

A medical watchdog is investigating a GP who continues to proselytise to patients despite a warning not to do so after the National Secular Society raised concerns about his conduct.

I often wonder how people can hold such a variety of metaphysical/religious beliefs & not wonder who is right & who is wrong.

I mean most of the bible stories are just childs bedtime stories, Jonah & the whale etc etc. Let alone the differences between religion themselves.

Many 'Christians' praise god when they have success, or are lucky with something. Do they also criticise him when they fail or have bad luck? If God has somehow blessed them with success, surely he also made them fail. Why?

How many hundreds of variations on religion & christianity are their? Why? Surely if their is one God, why hundreds of ways to follow him?

Why so many religious wars?

Why do religious people have such a need to control others?

Etc,etc,etc
I’m thinking you missing something about the power of myths telling an universe truth.

Jonah is a religious fiction narrate expressing that we must forgive others and to allow the most wicked to repent. No one is too removed from redemption.

Jonah is a great story and a lot of lessons to be Learned.

I've never understood the sin aspect. Would like your aspect on it?
Its just a plain control mechanism through fear and guilt.
The notion of a perfect being punishing imperfect creations for being imperfect is ridiculous.

Was brought up from a typical Irish catholic heritage so was immersed in it...but eventually drifted away bc of this sin angle and that we all born into sin, which basically for mine was the churches way of corrupting any real spiritual pursuit and putting themselves between people and any God/ creator which enabled them to control the masses.
Maybe that and the passing around of the collection plate during what was supposed to be considered the most important part of the mass.... I just thought this is utterly inappropriate and rubbish. If there is a God this religion thing isn't representative of it/him/her/energy/ universe etc
Great question.

What is sin?

Sin is the actions we take that hurts others and hurts relationships.

Yes, the church have used sin for their own gain. Which itself is sinful.

I've never understood the sin aspect. Would like your aspect on it?
Its just a plain control mechanism through fear and guilt.
The notion of a perfect being punishing imperfect creations for being imperfect is ridiculous.

Was brought up from a typical Irish catholic heritage so was immersed in it...but eventually drifted away bc of this sin angle and that we all born into sin, which basically for mine was the churches way of corrupting any real spiritual pursuit and putting themselves between people and any God/ creator which enabled them to control the masses.
Maybe that and the passing around of the collection plate during what was supposed to be considered the most important part of the mass.... I just thought this is utterly inappropriate and rubbish. If there is a God this religion thing isn't representative of it/him/her/energy/ universe etc

Sin makes you unhappy.

onward-christian-soldiers.gif
The metaphor was more of Roman soldiers in formation than a medieval knight.

There is no historical evidence that jesus of nazareth even existed,little own rose from the dead 3 days after having been crucified,presumably because humanity was no good.
Considering that he was the son of god,or being god himself,given we were created in his image,would that not make him therefore,imperfect?
So if he created us imperfect,why come here to punish yourself for your own imperfection?
Is this the same reason he allows children to die of hideous diseases and abuses from his creations?
Their are few books out there that will take you through the evidence.

You dare you read one of them?

The historicity of the religious existence of such a fellow is vague and dubious.
There is a distinct lack of independent verifiable historical accounts outside of the New Testament.
A concoction of several people in the area at the time would be my guess,that and a creative use of centralising a belief system and power by Constantine.
Like places like Rome, Athens, Jerusalem.

No evidence for such places.

The Roman Empire is a construct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi

have you?
If it had anything worthy of consideration, I’m sure Roylion would have brought it to our attention.
My challenge to you is to read a book claiming to have evidence for the resurrection.

Case for Christ, Cold Case Christianity, or Evidence for the Resurrection are all go through the same ground.

The first two are better because the authors started being atheists and we convinced by their own research while the third book is a Christian trying to convince himself of his own belief.

All the three books can be purchased on amazon.

Some of the places and people mentioned in the bible are real. None of that is a sticking point to me.

Show me objective evidence for the magic and you'll have my attention.
“Look look look, our book says there was an Egypt, therefore Christ was born of a virgin, performed magic and came back to life, it’s so bleeding obvious”.

If the biblical Yahweh does exist, and thankfully it doesn't, then it is most certainly a monster and there is no getting around that.

I find it amazing how anti-Christians jump in to ridicule anybody who suggest anything positive about Christianity.

One might even think you don’t have confidence in your lack of belief.

I find it amazing how anti-Christians jump in to ridicule anybody who suggest anything positive about Christianity.

And I find it amazing that defenders of Christianity have seemingly never bothered to actually read their bible.

As for the second part - just LOL.

I saw the thread on here ask a communist and I thought as a Christian I would put up a similar thread to answer question as I consider myself a fairly middle of the road Christian.

Before I start answering questions I just wanted to state a few things.

This thread is NOT for a debate between Christian and atheists for that please use another thread
I am here to answer more general questions rather than get into deep theological discussions
I will aim to reply in a timely manner but I work full time and have other commitments so I apologise if I don't reply straight away.
I will be respectful and polite towards people no matter what their views and beliefs are so I would appreciate the same in return.
Please keep it to a maximum of 3 questions per post and wait for those to be responded to before posting more.

Feel free to fire away with any questions.
Why do you stay in an organization which has some of the worst paedophiles in Australian history and has actively covered up paedophilia? Why do Christians support hateful people like Trump and Peter Dutton who favour white coloured people?

I could equally argue the case for Hezbollah,Hamas or even Isis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back