Religion Ask a Christian - Continued in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nonsense, we read all “holy” books as ancient literature, written by men consumed by their delusions of the supernatural.
This so called idea of “Theological contextual understanding”, is a modern pathetic apologist cop out.

The Bible is a church document to the aid in the teaching of Christs message by the church.
The church wasn't formed to aid in the teaching of the Bible.
So contextual understanding has been around since the first Christians. No cop out needed. In fact no Bible needed.

“Do unto others..” stolen from earlier civilisations, Confucius amongst others....
And five centuries before Christ, Confucius set forth his own Golden Rule: "Do not impose on others what you do not wish for yourself."
So that’s easily discounted as plagiarism or a broken clock being correct twice a day!

Point 2: can you provide absolute evidence Yeshua of the bible existing?
Until you do that, anything attributable to him is hearsay anecdotal evidence unworthy of discussion.

Point 3: christianity through violence, intimidation, adaptation, assimilation, cultural appropriation of local customs and a strong arming empire wishing to impose its new rule of law, not through the truth of its claims.

Point 4: “the slave was happier than the owner...”
You’re full of sh*t mate, or I will happily be unhappy to take you, your missus and your kids as my slaves for you to reach this form of happiness that you speak of.

And with that, I’m back in the game, check......

Whistling in the dark again. It’s OK to ask for help.

The Bible is a church document to the aid in the teaching of Christs message by the church.
So contextual understanding has been around since the first Christians. No cop out needed. In fact no Bible needed.
The new testament is a church document.

The old testament is a group of books that have nothing to do with Christianity. Contextual understanding is key.

You've reduced an argument concerning doctrinal differences between the old testament and the new to the task of getting the excess sh*t off your arse. Perhaps it isn't me who needs to grow up.
If he's claiming that the bible is s**t, I don't see how you can refute his argument.

It's Richmond supporter logic in all of it's glory.

If god is the only true god why does he tell his brainwashed it is wrong to worship other gods?

This is one of the key questions in understanding the bible and the evolution of christian belief.

The original concept was that there was a hierarchy of gods or divine beings. These gods acted as a sort of council in the early part of the story, the creation until the flood, and are referred to in the plural form. At some point the heavenly council decide to divide humanity into 70 nations, with each nation getting its own patron god. It is mentioned in the bible that Yahweh's lot was a sons of Israel. Thus Yahweh was considered just one of a host of gods. This makes sense of the capricious, violent, jealous, vengeful, genocidal god of the Exodus and conquest.

Just same old story repeated as it has for thousands of years...if I don’t understand something it must (a) god.

Lets take the eye .The first organisms with a modification resembling an eye lived around 550 million years ago. According to one scientist’s calculations, if they eye improved just 0.005 percent each generation, it would take 364,000 years from eyes to evolve from a patch of light sensitive cells to the complex eyes we have today. And in a geological timeframe, that’s just a blink of an eye.

Organisation ABC's book is an organisation-ABC document to aid in the teaching of messages from organisation ABC's hero by organisation ABC.
Organisation ABC wasn't formed to aid teaching the book that organisation ABC produced. Trust me.
Contextual understanding has been around since the beginnings of organisation ABC. In fact, no book was needed because organisation ABC was already there to tell us how and what to think. The book is a supplementary teaching tool to give you the truth from organisation ABC.

Am I talking about Scientology or Christianity?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trilobytes?

They weren't modifications. They were fully functioning compound eyes similar to modern day insects.
Is your Ray Comfort video just creationist propaganda? I wouldn't waste my time watching fundie nonsense if I were claiming to be a truth-seeking agnostic like your good self.

Organisation ABC's book is an organisation-ABC document to aid in the teaching of messages from organisation ABC's hero by organisation ABC.
Organisation ABC wasn't formed to aid teaching the book that organisation ABC produced. Trust me.
Contextual understanding has been around since the beginnings of organisation ABC. In fact, no book was needed because organisation ABC was already there to tell us how and what to think. The book is a supplementary teaching tool to give you the truth from organisation ABC.

Yes

Is your Ray Comfort video just creationist propaganda? I wouldn't waste my time watching fundie nonsense if I were claiming to be a truth-seeking agnostic like your good self.

I haven't watched the whole thing. I came across a snippet of it somewhere else and found it interesting. I then tracked down the full video and posted it here because I thought someone else might find it interesting. Have you watched any of it?

This is a pseudoscientific film trying hard to be scientific but ends up proletyzing Christianity. It’s God of the Gaps: The Movie. And of course the alternative to not knowing everything is automatically Christianity. It raises three old and debunked arguments for God and tries to appeal to emotion (through music, imagery) instead of rationality.

Last edited:

First I thought it could be Christianity but you gave it it way with the term ..trust me.. Christianity started 300 years before
said book so then there is no possibly that the organisation was formed to aid in teaching of the book and no need to “trust me “ as you put it.

Scientology started from something written so that’s probably out as well.

Is it .. I am a university ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back