Status
Not open for further replies.

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
Any society based on christianity is based on death, not love. You behave in life to ensure a better afterlife; you marry and have children because it's what God would want you to do; you only have sex when and how he says, because you don't want to go to hell.

Christianity's iconography is centred around the crucifix, the emblem of Jesus's suffering and his death.

And it works beautifully. Don’t worry we will keep you safe .. let us worry about the big picture where humanity has dignity and not just some random atoms formed by ...???

Fun being atheist if you don’t have to hang around or listen to other atheists.

Why don’t you guys start a an atheist thread. You can all talk to each other and slowly shrivel up die you poor barstools.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
And it works beautifully. Don’t worry we will keep you safe .. let us worry about the big picture where humanity has dignity and not just some random atoms formed by ...???

Fun being atheist if you don’t have to hang around or listen to other atheists.

Why don’t you guys start a an atheist thread. You can all talk to each other and slowly shrivel up die you poor barstools.
I have a question.

How are you (as in, christians) keeping us safe?

chelseacarlton

BLUE it's the Magic Number
10k Posts Sensible Type Chess Club Member Pantskyle
Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists
I have a question.

Was wondering the same, safe from what exactly?
From them?
That’s kinda not working and why we need to push back!

Can you name a thing that doesn't come at a cost? you say 'you believing in christ means you lose nothing'. You actually lose everything life stands for, freedom, goodwill and you live in fear and degrade yourself as a sinner thinking 'if i dont repent i am going to hell'. What a life to lead, that is the price you pay for believing in your stuff. Sure it makes you sleep well at night and makes you a better human but you have sold your conscience out by believing you are a sinner by default.

Science on the other hand the pros outweight the cons. We live 3 times as much as we did 200 years ago, poverty rates are at an all time low, death from natural disasters at all time low, we are also living in the most peaceful era in human history. Yes nothing is perfect, but this is as good as it gets, the fact that i am able to have a conversation like this with someone i never met is also a miracle of science.

You live this life in hope to live after you die, we live to live this life, at the fullest.
we can and do both.
Why can't we maximise life as a born again Christian?
What are we missing out on?
Sport?
Food?
Employment?
Fun?
SCIENCE is not just relevant to atheists, DITTO TECNOLOGY, OR MODERN MEDICINE.
CHRISTIANS PRAY TO GOD FOR (SIGNIFICANT) MEDICAL ISSUES, AND PART OF THAT RESPONSE IS TO SEEK OUT THE OPTIMAL TREATMENTS KNOWN TO MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS - we should pray unceasingly for all things, tbh, not just petitions, but also thanksgiving.

Your pov of Christianity is pretty morose. That is not how we live. Repentance is actually liberating if you are trapped by recurrent sin. Many addicts have had their lives transformed, and you will say - just gone from one addiction to another in the form of Christianity- but that is so far from reality.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
CHRISTIANS PRAY TO GOD FOR (SIGNIFICANT) MEDICAL ISSUES, AND PART OF THAT RESPONSE IS TO SEEK OUT THE OPTIMAL TREATMENTS KNOWN TO MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS - we should pray unceasingly for all things, tbh, not just petitions, but also thanksgiving.

Your pov of Christianity is pretty morose. That is not how we live. Repentance is actually liberating if you are trapped by recurrent sin. Many addicts have had their lives transformed, and you will say - just gone from one addiction to another in the form of Christianity- but that is so far from reality.
I think you believers need to be clear and concise with what you want from this omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient creator, he/she/it may have their priorities skewed... maybe it's too preoccupied with what we do with our own and to each others genitals.
1613977434945.png

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
I have a question.

Saving yourself from your self. A society that sees humans as just bunch of thrown together purposeless atoms by some cosmic accident will be a s**t show.
You just keep looking down microscopes and we will look after everything else.

Having two rulers .. God and man / church and state .. plays off each other nicely.

chelseacarlton

BLUE it's the Magic Number
10k Posts Sensible Type Chess Club Member Pantskyle
Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists
Saving yourself from your self. A society that sees humans as just bunch of thrown together purposeless atoms by some cosmic accident will be a sh*t show.

Having two rulers .. God and man / church and state .. plays off each other nicely.
Says it all really, I feel like I’m listening to Scummo in the foyer of his paedophile hillsong church.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
CHRISTIANS PRAY TO GOD FOR (SIGNIFICANT) MEDICAL ISSUES, AND PART OF THAT RESPONSE IS TO SEEK OUT THE OPTIMAL TREATMENTS KNOWN TO MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS -
I have a question. How is 'part of that response' seeking out medical treatment?

St Paul survived the bite of a snake. I assume, given the stridency with which you claim you believe, you would attempt to believe that you could do likewise, no?

Why does God care about your living now, when he doesn't in other cases? How does he choose who to support? Why did he allow someone like Hitler to live, to survive multiple attempts on his life, but kill unborn children in their mother's womb?

How/why does your God decide who lives and who dies?

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Saving yourself from your self. A society that sees humans as just bunch of thrown together purposeless atoms by some cosmic accident will be a sh*t show.

... could you elaborate, please? Where specifically has your god intervened, with particular bearing towards Chinese society?

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood

Isn't that your gods job?

Do you think you are a god?

Doctor B

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
we can and do both.
Sport?
Food?
Employment?
Fun?

For the third time, can you please answer this very simple question.
Why did god create Cancer, Malaria, Alzheimers, MS, MND, Parkinsons, CAD etc.?
Why does childhood leukaemia etc. exist?

twotooto

late bloomer
Sep 26, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

You guys have been looking after everything else for a few centuries now. And how has that been going? Let me help you there - it is an absolute cluster*.

We have Big Pharma, Big Tech, Big Oil etc...and then we have the Big Daddy that presides over the whole 's**t show'...Big Church.

I have a question. How is 'part of that response' seeking out medical treatment?

St Paul survived the bite of a snake. I assume, given the stridency with which you claim you believe, you would attempt to believe that you could do likewise, no?

Why does God care about your living now, when he doesn't in other cases? How does he choose who to support? Why did he allow someone like Hitler to live, to survive multiple attempts on his life, but kill unborn children in their mother's womb?

How/why does your God decide who lives and who dies?
God decides who lives. Simple fact.
We know we will all die.
I can only assume that the fact I am still alive, God has not yet finished with me in this life. To each day, I am thankful, and that is how i start each day- a prayer of thanks.
There have always been doctors in some form, and this has EVOLVED in sophistication over the centuries.
Hitler was mid 50's when he suicided- not a long life. Eddie Jaku is over 100yo.

We know we will all die.
I can only assume that the fact I am still alive, God has not yet finished with me in this life. To each day, I am thankful, and that is how i start each day- a prayer of thanks.
There have always been doctors in some form, and this has EVOLVED in sophistication over the centuries.
Hitler was mid 50's when he suicided- not a long life. Eddie Jaku is over 100yo.
You are grateful? Really? You’re happy he lets you live and little children die? I’m in my 50s, if there was some all mighty being making decisions to who lives and dies, I’d expect to be dead by now. Can’t you see the massive self interest here? It’s all about you.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
We know we will all die.

You are grateful? Really? You’re happy he lets you live and little children die? I’m in my 50s, if there was some all mighty being making decisions to who lives and dies, I’d expect to be dead by now. Can’t you see the massive self interest here? It’s all about you.
You are a true piecost. I was asked about why I am still alive. Aren't you grateful for each day you live amidst the uncertainty of life? Stop making this all about an individual. My being alive has zero effect on why babies etc don't live. There will be an answer. Let it Be.

I'm confident that all versions of mainstream Christianity fall on the spectrum of abuse. How does your relationship with god differ from an abusive relationship?
explain your confident assertion please.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
we can and do both.
Sport?
Food?
Employment?
Fun?

You missed the entire point, i don't mean you cant live without enjoying life. Everyone has their own definition of what enjoyment is, however there is one non-negotiable for me and that is conscience.

Because the idea of a God would have no use if you couldn't control people through fear. Over thousands of years religion was pushed to legitimatize kings, obedience and violence.

You can all those things you listed but what you can't do is live freely, which is the most important thing in life, live true to your conscience. You believe you will be going to hell if you don't follow your deity, this is not living freely, nor living according to your conscience. I am truly free you are not. I have my own sense of morality which stems from empathy.

I think a question people should ask themselves within Christianity is... if there was no Heaven or promise of eternity would you still choose to follow the God of the Bible? I'd wager that the majority of Christians only believe out of the fear of Hell. Many will try to dress it up and make it look like that isn't the case but in my experience it ALMOST always the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back