Ask a Don - Facebook Q&A with Gavin Wanganeen (2nd May from 7pm AEST) TODAY

Remove this Banner Ad

They're doing another Q&A on Facebook, this time with Gavin Wanganeen.

They've been posting the Q&A post at about 6.45, and the answerer starts answering them at 7pm for about half an hour.

I'll post screenshots of the answers as they're posted.

I'll try and post the link to the Q&A when it's posted, otherwise check the EssendonFC Facebook page :)

So far they've done:
Guy McKenna
Matthew Egan
Mark Neeld
Xavier Campbell
Simon Madden
Kevin Sheedy

Last edited:

Looks like we're done. Bit quiet tonight. There was a question about Walla posted after they stopped answering... so that would've been nice to get an answer to.

They're also foreshadowing more Q&As later in the year, which sounds good!

He was a train wreck at melb pressers too

It's not good when you have a "I will tear the universe asunder" expression and tone after your senior coaching debut.

Mind you, they were total s**t that day, even by their standards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fairfax fired all their FB handlers.

So it'll just be Robbo asking away for 20 odd minutes
Does big footy (or the EFC board) have a Facebook page? Doss Beerfish Harlequin Loonerty

I'm not sure if its possible, but if you're logged in as a Facebook page, could it ask questions in the Q&A on behalf of all of us? Perhaps we could brainstorm some in advance, if that is the case..

This is how Facebook makes money - For example they have links with email providers, then once you set up an email account it then sets up a skeleton facebook account - The number of Facebook accounts is exaggerated.

Well I wasn't around the other night, but here's the quick version from the EFC website. Next one is Simon Madden (next week, 29th March at 7pm AEDST).

Ask A Don - Xavier Campbell

Q: Hey Xavier, what strategies are in place build our membership and sponsers back up in the aftermath of the whole supplements saga? Also whats the clubs position on a 3rd Melbourne stadium at either punt road or princes park... or with any luck Windy Hill? – Lachlan

A: Our membership has been incredibly resilient and strong, there is no doubt that a key focus of ours is to drive and reward our junior members who have found it particularly tough over the last three years.

Regarding sponsors, we've been able to retain all of our major partners over the last three years and we'll have further exciting announcements over the coming weeks. Fujitsu and Kia in particular have shown enormous faith in the direction of our Club and they feel as though the fans, members, players and coaches deserve their support.

I'm not convinced we need a third Melbourne stadium, but I would like to see further investment into Etihad Stadium to ensure that it remains best practice. I think the geographic positioning of that stadium makes it incredibly accessible for the vast majority of our fans who reside in the North West corridor.

Q: Xavier. Thanks for all your efforts over the last three years, indeed a challenge for the club.

1. An extension to Scott McNeice question, when will we begin to know if players commit? What rights do the players have in regards to breaking contracts given their situation?

2. Trying to move on is proving to be hard with the media constantly bringing up the past and turning anything positive the club if trying to do into another negative. The club seem to be taking much of it on the chin, is it good diplomacy? Why isn't there an "enough is enough" moment, and we start to return serve? - George

A: As it stands we have 6 players in contract and 6 players who are out of contract, and our focus providing them with as much support as possible to make sure that this isn't a wasted year.

I appreciate the frustrations with some of the media reporting. While we try to give perspective to the media in their reporting, our main focus remains on working with football and ensuring on field success. That's where we want to spend our energy.

Q: What is the club doing to prevent the suspended players from leaving? – Sean

A: Further to the comments above, this is a major priority. I know it's hard but we ask for your patience as we expect this process will take some time given that it has been a difficult period for the players. I think that's only appropriate.

Q: Xavier how is the club that Kevin Sheedy built to a power house to who ever destroyed it from this supplement saga going to ever become a powerhouse again when everyone is going to sue the club obviously maybe even players not coming bk after suspensions how are they going to get out of it – Whebe

A: I appreciate that it's a difficult time right now and six weeks ago, it felt like rock bottom. But I know we have a great senior coach on board, incredibly passionate staff and an incredibly loyal and resilient supporter base. This year gives us a unique opportunity to fast track the development of our players and increase the depth of our squad. This will only make us stronger and is as much an opportunity in front of us as it is a challenge. There is no other way to look at it. And by the way, Kevin Sheedy is on board for this journey too.

Q: Hi Xavier, does the EFCListens email ever get looked at? Have emailed various times with no response. Was a great way for members to pass on suggestions or feedback in the past. Thanks - Bomber TNA

A: I can absolutely assure you it does and rest assured that your emails and insights are taken on board and seriously considered.

Q: Can you please get Zaka and Baguley to deliver DonsAtYourDoor to my place pls? Or I'm in Gold Coast his weekend so happy to have it handed there hehe! – Kristy

A: Strangely, this isn't the first time that I've been asked for Zacka to deliver a card. I'll see what I can do.

Just on the 'Dons At Your Door' I must admit, this has been one of the more positive activities that we've been able to execute over the last12 months. Although, the logistics have been difficult, there is no doubt that all of our staff, players and coaches have found it an enjoyable exercise. Our fans deserve to be thanked for their ongoing loyalty.

Q: In light of the Four Corners program the other night what is the EFC stand now in regards to the supplement saga? What responsibility is the club taking and how much did they care about the players or not care as seems more likely now? – George

A: There is no doubt that the Club made grave mistakes in 2012 and for that we are truly sorry. But in many respects, that Club doesn't exist anymore. We've done enormous amounts of work to rebuild the Club and try to move forward. Throughout this process the players have been our absolute priority.

Since I've taken over as CEO, I've met with the vast majority of the 34 players and their parents/families. We will continue to do so because they deserve and need our support as much as anyone else.

Q: Will this season be a success if we finish above 18th? – Matt

A: This season will be a success if we can fast track the development of our younger players and identify four or five players within our team that have been in the system for a period of time, but haven't quite taken the next step. I want to see the professionalism of the group and competitiveness of the group increase week on week, so that by the end of the year we have a great foundation to take us forward.

Q: Xavier thanks for your time. What is the process club has taken to retain the 12 suspended players currently on our list? How much can Worslfold and player communicate around ban restrictions in place. Thanks and great to hear of MAP onboard today. Sponsors and memberships a key part we can all play. See you at the Fan Walk – Scott

A: Thanks for the question Scott.

We're in the process of speaking with all 12 players and our focus right now is to provide them with opportunities outside of football this year to give them purpose. Our support at this time is focused on their welfare and development. Football discussions will commence in due course, but so far the talks that we have had have been positive.

Woosha, like anyone within Essendon, can communicate with the players and offer them moral support. He has been doing this and he will continue to do this. Although he's only been with us a short time, I feel he had already built a strong relationship with this group.

Thanks for your support around the MAP partnership; we hope to have some more positive announcements in the coming weeks.

Well done with all your work with the fan walk.

Q: Hi Xavier. Thanks for your time & initiative in engaging with the fans & members. What is the club's position on playing more home games at the MCG as opposed to Etihad? It seems to me that every year we either play a Geelong or Hawthorn at Etihad as a home game which inevitably deprives more of our fans an opportunity to watch the team. This year we have a home game against Hawthorn at Etihad yet somehow get fixtures to play Melbourne as a home game at the MCG. I appreciate fixturing is out of the club's control but wouldn't a 6-5 Etihad-MCG home game split be more beneficial for the club & its supporter base? - Marcus

A: I appreciate the question Marcus and this is an important topic for a lot of our fans. Etihad has been and continues to be a strong part of the football club. That said, we will continue to work with the AFL to drive appropriate outcomes for the fixture. Like you, I'm not sure we've got this right yet.

Q: Most legal experts have stated that the Essendon players only have a very remote chance of success in their appeal at the Federal Court in Switzerland. Realistically, what chance do the people at the club think the players have in this appeal? - Ben

A: I don't think as though this is a path that the players would have taken if they had thought that they had a remote chance. I know that they have received favourable advice, but - like any legal process though, there are never any certainties. It is disappointing that they don't have a normal right of appeal.

Q: I’d like to know why the club did what it did to Hal? Pathetic. – Steve

A: Like all the other players, Hal should never have been put in that position back in 2012. I've attempted to meet with Hal and his family on various occasions over the past two years to work through this matter more appropriately and address the issues that they have. We have worked to provide all relevant documents for Hal as he and his lawyers have requested. We hope to progress discussions with Hal and his family over the next few weeks.

Q: When will the rest of the leadership group be announced and will a young player eg: Z.Merrett be a part of it? – Shaun

A: Expect an announcement this Thursday. But Zach Merrett will feature in it.

Q: What's your favourite type of soup? – Andrew

A: Heinz

Q: The man bun, fan or not??? – Simon
A: Not.

Q: Hey Xavier, Who is your favourite mascot in the AFL? – Skeeta
A: That one from Essendon.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2....au/news/2016-03-23/ask-a-don-xavier-campbell

Have you recovered from meeting fishardansin at verdict Tanked?

The reason I spoke to him is because I had open heart surgery as a 5 year old (1981) and I had received a hand written note from him wishing me well. Having had further surgery a month ago I should ask where the hell was my note this time!!

The reason I spoke to him is because I had open heart surgery as a 5 year old (1981) and I had received a hand written note from him wishing me well. Having had further surgery a month ago I should ask where the hell was my note this time!!
It's in the mail

Remove this Banner Ad

Back