Ask a Libertarian

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not a libertarian but you are misusing the word freedom. Everyone has the freedom to go find food for themselves unless they are enslaved, they don't need welfare to be free. Forcing someone to give up something and give it to another, however, is not freedom.

no, i'm really not misusing it. it's an example from isiah berlin when discussing positive and negative concepts of freedom. eg, if someone can't afford a loaf of bread then for all intents and purposes they don't have the freedom to do so. in this context I use it as a simple example of how libertarians' mantra of "liberty or die" is just bollocks.

Rather than asking hypothetical questions inside of a theoretical vacuum

perhaps it'd be better to ask why; can this person A not afford or be given a loaf of bread - or why do they not have the liberty to perform this action. Y

i would imagine, under a libertarian framework, person B would be very happy to pay some sort of tax in regards to social security, so his fellow human of the hungry variety, person A, can eat. which will give him more liberty and increase liberty in general.

even if one takes into consideration the calculated loss of liberty person b would have in having to pay such a tax.

You claim to be an expert but I doubt the general theory is as selfish as what you allude to

My main and final point, which sadly i forgot to add is that:

Why is it that, the person in question has no bread? is that not the flaw of society under the current paradigm; be it a Plutocracy, or democratic capitalistic-consumer system, or what ever floats your boat?

I dont beleive the world is run in a liberation fashion presently

If a libertarian ideological was the in fact the norm - would it be everyone would have access to bread ideally, as this would most increase liberty

Seeing as the Communist thread was such a hit, I fiswe should give the most vocal groups on BF their own thread where they can answer any questions regarding their political ideology and policy they would like to see implicated.

I'll get the ball rolling:

1. Libertarians are fans of allowing guns to be owned by private citizens for the purpose of defending property against criminals and the government (the minimalist government Libertarians envisage would have to be a rather small threat, but still). In a country like Australia that has had such successful gun control in recent years it might be unrealistic to allow full scale open carry permits. But how would Libertarians feel about "community weapons caches" similar to what existed in Spain at the time of the revolution? Essentially, this would be a reasonably large collection of weaponry maintained and contained within each community, that citizens have access to in case of emergency. It keeps the citizenry armed en masse in case of calamity, but doesn't allow for rogue psychopaths to go on shooting sprees. Kind of the best of both worlds. I'm just wondering if this kind of Community focused solution could work under Libertarianism?

With gun control you have personal identity gun triggers. No brainer.

So in the case of the Sydney seige staff member or customer whacks him with own gun, taxpayer waste kept to a minimum

With gun control you have personal identity gun triggers. No brainer.

So in the case of the Sydney seige staff member or customer whacks him with own gun, taxpayer waste kept to a minimum

Arming the populace doesn't stop random killings but increases them though.

The waste would be on a much larger scale with no social services around to clean anything up anyway, think Mogadishu.

Arming the populace doesn't stop random killings but increases them though.

The waste would be on a much larger scale with no social services around to clean anything up anyway, think Mogadishu.

Nah, remember with personalised gun triggers the bullets/gun traced back to the trigger register.

I didn't mention no social services.

Do you think Libertarians believe in no social service and if so why?

Do you have empirical evidence on the random killing increase argument?

The other thing in a Libertarian society you have to make the argument that the siege guy would have been allowed in the country. Remember he would have had to pay his way to get here and sustain himself as well as providing a business case for acceptance otherwise he would be repressing the Australian public in an immigration power play.

Remember law of the jungle rules in Libertarian society so he would have to show value to be provided rights otherwise the existing rights of the existing society in the country of destination would be compromised.

The other thing is under a Libertarian society Australia would be a sovereign nation with a valid defence force. Australians could reject any entrant on national security grounds regardless of any foreign intervention via UN regs and other hegemony ideals of the global elite and naturally with a proper defence and independence we would not be the lapdog of other global powers and not be constantly abused from afar.

Last edited:
Nah, remember with personalised gun triggers the bullets/gun traced back to the trigger register.

I didn't mention no social services.

Do you think Libertarians believe in no social service and if so why?

Do you have empirical evidence on the random killing increase argument?

The other thing in a Libertarian society you have to make the argument that the siege guy would have been allowed in the country. Remember he would have had to pay his way to get here and sustain himself as well as providing a business case for acceptance otherwise he would be repressing the Australian public in an immigration power play.

Remember law of the jungle rules in Libertarian society so he would have to show value to be provided rights otherwise the existing rights of the existing society in the country of destination would be compromised.

The other thing is under a Libertarian society Australia would be a sovereign nation with a valid defence force. Australians could reject any entrant on national security grounds regardless of any foreign intervention via UN regs and other hegemony ideals of the global elite and naturally with a proper defence and independence we would not be the lapdog of other global powers and not be constantly abused from afar.

I am happy Americans have guns,

given when the s**t hits the fans they will have some sort of chance.

The liberty of the citizens will be in our thoughts

I am happy Americans have guns,

given when the s**t hits the fans they will have some sort of chance.

The liberty of the citizens will be in our thoughts

It will be interesting to see what happens when USA defaults and the proper riots take place.

How will the military be managed, how will the nuclear weapons be managed?

How will power go back to the people? What tactics will the elite attempt to employ to maintain power? You can see why the elite are pursuing the global hegemony because control is slipping in USA despite more central govt and they need to separate themselves from their power levers to maintain control through smoke and mirrors.

Actually when I think about it some more the elite clearly will try via power plays to control the people through the military and also the police that have now been militarised since the wars once softer controls via bank manipulation etc... fail. When I think about how this conflict will shape in the US, most likely there will be factions within the authorities, one for the people and one for the elite, and it will come down to the factional plays initially but you just hope no nutters get near the nuke controls when this conflict blows up!

Last edited:
xj9TxsX.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be interesting to see what happens when USA defaults and the proper riots take place.

How will the military be managed, how will the nuclear weapons be managed?

How will power go back to the people? What tactics will the elite attempt to employ to maintain power? You can see why the elite are pursuing the global hegemony because control is slipping in USA despite more central govt and they need to separate themselves from their power levers to maintain control through smoke and mirrors.

Actually when I think about it some more the elite clearly will try via power plays to control the people through the military and also the police that have now been militarised since the wars once softer controls via bank manipulation etc... fail. When I think about how this conflict will shape in the US, most likely there will be factions within the authorities, one for the people and one for the elite, and it will come down to the factional plays initially but you just hope no nutters get near the nuke controls when this conflict blows up!
There is zero chance the usa defaults for at least 50 years.

We just had a major global recession that resulted from US idiocy and all the foreign money piled into the Us rather then leaving it.

Bump.

Just checking in. Are the libertarians hating this? Or are the restrictions and hence prevention of giving someone a disease a good application of negative rights?

Libertarians are giving out hugs at international airports, before people go into mandatory isolation.

Bump.

Just checking in. Are the libertarians hating this? Or are the restrictions and hence prevention of giving someone a disease a good application of negative rights?
So so so so so many were in meltdown mode over Dan the mans gun announcement today on the twittersphere

I lold

Remove this Banner Ad

Back