Official Club Stuff Ask Lions_Insider!

Remove this Banner Ad

How much money is the club losing each year, or how much money does the AFL prop us up each year

The Brisbane Lions Australian Football Club has recorded a net operating loss of $1.78 million for 2015/16.

The Club generated a trading loss of $0.3 million for the year ending October 31, 2016, prior to depreciation and interest costs.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-11-18/financial-results-201516

Net AFL distributions $16,753,407

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL ...ocuments/160399_Financial_Report_2016_DIG.pdf

Definitely whats the latest on the training and admin base?

Positive or negative after the budget?

While there wasn’t a specific amount allocated for the Lions in last week’s state budget, we are doing a lot of work behind the scenes with all forms of government to progress our discussions. There are a lot of broader benefits, beyond the facility upgrade, to the Springfield facility that we hope to release to our members and supporters soon.

How do they rate the draft this year?

Are we going to be a big player during the trade period?

We currently have 2 first round draft picks with the potential to, possibly, have one more. With that, we think we're in a great position going in to this year's draft - it just depends what our recruiters and Football staff decide to do with these. It'd be great to bring in some top talent, possibly some more Queenslanders too!

We currently have 2 first round draft picks with the potential to, possibly, have one more. With that, we think we're in a great position going in to this year's draft - it just depends what our recruiters and Football staff decide to do with these. It'd be great to bring in some top talent, possibly some more Queenslanders too!

More Queenslanders you say? ;) We all certainly hope so.

With an increased focus on development from the club with the acquisition of people like Zane Littlejohn how has this impacted on the feeling around the club and players? Also what specifically does a development coaches role look like, do they work with specific group of players like the seniors e.g. forwards/mids/back coach.

We are also hearing from a 'buy-in' from the players and leading the way forward, does this mean that they are having a say in how we play or that they are more vocal in meetings etc?

Thanks

While there wasn’t a specific amount allocated for the Lions in last week’s state budget, we are doing a lot of work behind the scenes with all forms of government to progress our discussions. There are a lot of broader benefits, beyond the facility upgrade, to the Springfield facility that we hope to release to our members and supporters soon.
So does this mean that despite the recent 'setbacks' that the proposal is still progressing and it is a matter of when, not if, it goes ahead?

Nice to see the Lions_Insider account reactivated. Nice work you guys.

I have a question around player interaction with the media, the public etc when it comes to contract time. Young Josh took an absolute pounding until he re-signed by the general lions public due to past events at the club that were no fault of his own, and in no way was that helped by the uninformed and almost flippant way that the media drove his face into the ground, turned up unannounced at his family home in Seymour, etc.

Are the players coached in-house on how not to feed too much usable (misinterpretable) material to the media? Like specific coaching and mentoring around key phrases that you shouldn't say, etc? Hard in Josh's case when they hound him across 2000kms of course.

Rule number 1 for the young guys should really be 'don't read Facebook comments' followed closely by 'don't read BigFooty' too. :)

Not true. The players train over double that amount on field as well as weights sessions, stability, skills, goal kicking, running, off legs sessions. In addition to this, players have several meetings throughout the week as a team, as well as with their line coaches and individual player reviews.

It would be really interesting to see a "week in the life of a lions player" video. I know its a pretty big ask for a player and the person filming it but a video that shows a summary of what a player does over the course of a week would be a pretty interesting thing to see. If it could cover mostly footy stuff, but maybe a little piece or two of non footy time that would be great to see as well. Each activity having a bit of a description or overview from the player and some highlights from it.

Its a pretty big undertaking though so understand if its been considered before and discarded. there have been a few in past years with a bit more of a day based theme (gameday usually) or via a written article like dangerfields last year. Not sure if there would be scope to utilise some broadcast partner resources (filming, editing etc) and have it put on a pre-game or half time telecast or similar, and even show pre game or at qtr time on the big screens (once they're both done).

Just a thought.

Great intiative LI. I hope you don't mind that I'm going to use this to address my biggest concerns about the club - I understand you're unlikely to be able to give specific info (for obvious reasons), but it'd be good just to hear that the club is aware of and planning for these issues behind closed doors...
- It sounds like the AFL are already preparing to shoot down the idea of a beginning of first round priority pick. Is the club working on proposals for alternatives to priority picks to provide draft/talent assistance, given that another end of first round pick won't do a lot? 7 first round picks on our list - equal last in the AFL, despite being down the bottom for 7.5 straight years - doesn't fill me with confidence for the future...
- Has the club given thought to strategies to address the wide age gap in our playing list (ie. our junior players will start hitting their straps, right at the time that Rocky, Zorko, Beams, Martin will retire, which will probably lead to us heading straight back down for another rebuild).

With an increased focus on development from the club with the acquisition of people like Zane Littlejohn how has this impacted on the feeling around the club and players? Also what specifically does a development coaches role look like, do they work with specific group of players like the seniors e.g. forwards/mids/back coach.

We have a team of four development coaches – Scott Borlace, Mitch Hahn, Paul Henriksen and Zane Littlejohn, who have varied coaching backgrounds and work with different groups of players, e.g. forwards/mids/backs. They all have a role at training and run through different skills drills with the whole squad.

Our NEAFL team is obvious proof that these coaches are putting in a lot of good work which is complemented by an overarching training program run by the Football Department that has dramatically reduced the size of our rehab group this year.

The development coaches are employed to bring the best out in our draftees, rookies as well as those on the verge of breakout seasons. With a large rehab group last year, they’ve worked with a lot of the players in bringing them back through the NEAFL and we think they’re doing a great job so far.

Personally, I have definitely felt a positive change around the Club, both in Admin and Footy. For us, we feel we can start to be more creative and innovative and still have the backing and enthusiasm from players and footy staff etc. The content we do put out is received by supporters in a slightly different way than before.

As for drastic improvements... We have always aimed to produce high quality content, regardless of on field performance (that just helps our content go better) however, we have a few new staff this year who have brought some exciting ideas!

We're always looking for content ideas - if you guys have something you'd like us to consider doing in the Comms space, let us know :)

Thanks for the response LI, appreciate it. A couple of seasons ago, Carlton did this for their club where they took us behind the scenes in everything and I really enjoyed it, and was wondering if there was anything similar, in terms of footage and content that you could put together. Or as someone else mentioned, a week in the life of a Lions player too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be really interesting to see a "week in the life of a lions player" video. I know its a pretty big ask for a player and the person filming it but a video that shows a summary of what a player does over the course of a week would be a pretty interesting thing to see. If it could cover mostly footy stuff, but maybe a little piece or two of non footy time that would be great to see as well. Each activity having a bit of a description or overview from the player and some highlights from it.

Great idea and something we've definitely considered in the past. As you say, it takes a lot of our resource away from our weekly content if we have our video producer out all week. We've considered doing a 'Day in the Life' piece which could compensate and give you guys a good insight - I'll take it back to the team. Working with broadcast partners more is also another thing we're looking to utilise more of going forward.

Great to see Lions_Insider back.

Thanks to the club, or Mods or whoever took the initiative on this.

My question flows from a discussion on the NEAFL thread.
And it may fly too close to discussion of contracts, but I'll throw it out there.

With Cian Hanley, finally getting on the park, and showing some positive traits, is the club exploring (or intending to explore) with the AFL options in respect of further rookie time for him?

Great to see Lions_Insider back.

Thanks to the club, or Mods or whoever took the initiative on this.

My question flows from a discussion on the NEAFL thread.
And it may fly too close to discussion of contracts, but I'll throw it out there.

With Cian Hanley, finally getting on the park, and showing some positive traits, is the club exploring (or intending to explore) with the AFL options in respect of further rookie time for him?

That's why we're not paid the big bucks

Welcome back Lions_Insider - wow what a job,
  • read/post on BigFooty at work
  • answer the possible/probable occasionally ridiculous questions with a straight bat. [figuratively not physically speaking, although...]
  • read the said above type questions, know the answers and just be able to chuckle to self
  • alternatively, creative your own account and answer them in your own style and face a ban? lol.
  • and finally - the checking for 'media echos' - nudge, nudge say no more.
But all joking aside, what a great intuitive initiative. I'm sure it will become the first checked thread for many and possibly, even draw some past posters back - kudos to all!

We have a team of four development coaches – Scott Borlace, Mitch Hahn, Paul Henriksen and Zane Littlejohn, who have varied coaching backgrounds and work with different groups of players, e.g. forwards/mids/backs. They all have a role at training and run through different skills drills with the whole squad.

Our NEAFL team is obvious proof that these coaches are putting in a lot of good work which is complemented by an overarching training program run by the Football Department that has dramatically reduced the size of our rehab group this year.

The development coaches are employed to bring the best out in our draftees, rookies as well as those on the verge of breakout seasons. With a large rehab group last year, they’ve worked with a lot of the players in bringing them back through the NEAFL and we think they’re doing a great job so far.
Can you enlarge on why we have substantially reduced the number of injuries this year. Very pleasing to see and makes a huge difference in being able to put a decent ressies team out on the park (as well as the seniors)

Hi everyone,

Trust you're having a good arvo. We're on the hunt for a volunteer photographer who can commit to our home games for the remainder of this season, and potentially into next season.

The photographer will cover all of our off field activations (e.g. Corporate events, Lion Park activations, concourse activity) and will need to be available approx. 2.5 hours before bounce. They will also need to have their own camera and accessories.

If you're interested and think you'd fit the bill (or know of someone else), can you please email through your contact details and a few examples of your photographer skills to socialmedia@lions.com.au

Thanks!

Lions_Insider I would suggest that perhaps when putting together NEAFL highlights video that if its a NEAFL or thunder televised game with commentary that you forgo the background music in these instances. Just a thought

Lions_Insider I would suggest that perhaps when putting together NEAFL highlights video that if its a NEAFL or thunder televised game with commentary that you forgo the background music in these instances. Just a thought

I can't echo that enough. Unless they want use some of my music lol

The club is doing a host of match day initiatives – from 'Kids Go Free Sunday', improving the match day entertainment, working with the GABBA to get the two new big screens as well as theming matches, we are hoping to get as many new fans through the gates as possible.

Being able to have a new training and admin facility will help a lot from hosting our own AFLW games and building a home base that looks amazing, the players are proud of, and the fans love to come to. That will not only help us on the field with our own year-round state of the art facilities for both men’s and women’s, but also off the field by opening up new revenue streams we can re-invest into marketing.

The best form of marketing is winning, we also hoping to be doing a lot more of that over the next three years.

We are also happy to take any suggestions here on how to cut through in the market as well.

Thanks for the response. All great suggestions.

From my experience supporting another fringe Brisbane club (Roar) winning helps but engaging with the fans (like this) is actually more influential in turning event goers into rusted on supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back