Official Club Stuff Ask Lions_Insider!

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi L.I.

Apologies if this has been dealt with before... I am unable to watch video content from both the Lion's and the AFL websites on my Macs using any of Safari, Firefox and Chrome. I have updated Flash but that hasn't either. Is there a solution available?

Hi,

That's very strange...haven't heard of that problem before.

Are you running an extensions that blocks Ads or something that might be blocking the content?

Last edited:
Hi LI,
I would love to see Cate Campbell, who is a Brisbane local, as a lions ambassador. Her experience of “failing” at the Olympics (there is no such thing as a failure at the Olympics in my opinion) and the mental challenge of rebuilding is so positive I’m sure it could be motivating for our players. Amazing athlete and individual.

Good idea :grinning:

I would like ask the Lions_Insider about AFLW and AFL bigfooty Player sponsorships, which are not at the moment being finalised, or even acknowledged by Lions office staff. I have been spun quite a line of bullcrap when I ask what is happening with Sponsorship signed jumpers, or welcoming letters from your sponsored player. I have rung the Club many times to get some answers or information. Please can you find out for me? I sponsor Sabrina, who is a wonderful player and person. I had to make that introduction myself at a casey fields game! Surely there is someone managing these sponsorships? or just taking our money? I hope you can find some answers for me please? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

A reminder to all that this is a thread for asking questions of lions insider. Discussion stemming from Questions in here should be in the seperate discussion thread. Use the multi quote tool to quote across threads please. Of the volume of discussion posts continue in this thread moving them is going to wear thin and we'll have to just start deleting them which would be unfortunate

Thank you

Posted in the wrong thread:

Hi there,

I have a few questions for the lions insider if possible. I’m a guernsey enthusiast and was wondering if the lions are putting out:

-Hall of Fame guernsey?
- Anzac guernsey?
-Indigenous guernsey?
- any other guernsey?

Thanks for any feedback

Posted in the wrong thread:

Hi there,

I have a few questions for the lions insider if possible. I’m a guernsey enthusiast and was wondering if the lions are putting out:

-Hall of Fame guernsey?
- Anzac guernsey?
-Indigenous guernsey?
- any other guernsey?

Thanks for any feedback

Hi,

Stay tuned this week for the release of our ANZAC guernsey.

There will be two more guernseys released as well in the next couple of months. Details to come.

Cheers,

I would like ask the Lions_Insider about AFLW and AFL bigfooty Player sponsorships, which are not at the moment being finalised, or even acknowledged by Lions office staff. I have been spun quite a line of bullcrap when I ask what is happening with Sponsorship signed jumpers, or welcoming letters from your sponsored player. I have rung the Club many times to get some answers or information. Please can you find out for me? I sponsor Sabrina, who is a wonderful player and person. I had to make that introduction myself at a casey fields game! Surely there is someone managing these sponsorships? or just taking our money? I hope you can find some answers for me please? Thank you.

Hi,

The staff member in charge of these player sponsorships will return from leave on Wednesday and it will be their priority to respond to your query upon their return to the office.

Let me know if you haven't heard anything by COB Wednesday.

Cheers,

My apologies if this has been covered, but my biggest bugbear with the club over the years has been the extremely poor merchandise. I have to actively tell people not to get me merchandise for Birthdays/Xmas etc. when all I want to do is sink my hard earned into the club. I'd be interested to hear the process on how it's created and how much money we actually make from it and whether i'm alone in these thoughts.

My apologies if this has been covered, but my biggest bugbear with the club over the years has been the extremely poor merchandise. I have to actively tell people not to get me merchandise for Birthdays/Xmas etc. when all I want to do is sink my hard earned into the club. I'd be interested to hear the process on how it's created and how much money we actually make from it and whether i'm alone in these thoughts.

Hi,

Poor quality? Poor design? Any items in particular?

We started our new partnership with Majestic in 2017 and there were a few teething problems, as is common with new partnerships, especially with a company that hadn't been in the AFL before. We are working closely with them to ensure everything is high quality going forward.

Naturally not all feedback on our merchandise is positive, but there haven't been too many people saying it's extremely poor. Most feedback relates to the design.

Cheers,

Hi,

We started our new partnership with Majestic in 2017 and there were a few teething problems, as is common with new partnerships, especially with a company that hadn't been in the AFL before. We are working closely with them to ensure everything is high quality going forward.

Naturally not all feedback on our merchandise is positive, but there haven't been too many people saying it's extremely poor. Most feedback relates to the design.

Cheers

I’m a massive advocate for Lions merch, on field items in particular (guernseys, shorts, socks etc,) and that’s where I invest a fair some of my disposable income.

My frustration comes from the unavailability or certain items i.e. this year’s ANZAC guernsey is only available by auction.

Understand not all guernsey will sell for a variety of reasons, however if the club decides on what guernseys will be released in the upcoming year, in say December it would open up additional avenues for sales of next year’s merchandise i.e. Christmas. There is much more fan fare for new merchandise as gifts rather than old gear at a discounted rate.

To provide an example, I know I personally would buy a couple of guernseys a year if they were released earlier in the piece- such as indigenous , ANZAC, Hall of Fame guernseys etc. it’s great to be able to wear these to the actually games they are being worn by the players in.

Additionally, I would love to be able to buy long sleeved guernseys (useful in Melbourne) or playing shorts with sponsors on them, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them produced for purchase.

Just my two cents...

Hi,

Cheers,
Unlike Robbojack, I like wearing off field merchandise, particularly Polos & T’s. I was really keen on a blue BLK media polo with the Lion logo water marks, as worn at the last draft before BLK fell in a hole. But they were never for sale.

I have been in to the shop a couple of times to look at the Majestic merchandise, but in my opinion, it’s not up to the quality that BLK items were, let alone other sporting brands quality such as Nike or New Balance.

I’ve also felt, that if they could make a polo or T version of the match day guernsey, that’s something I would buy.

I’m not the most athletic in build, I’m skinny, but like wearing sports wear. Most sports apparel still fits fine, but much of the Lions merchandise is real fitted and tight. Not all fans are built athletes with sculptured bodies.

Lions Insider, I have a message on my phone. More to come.

Last edited:
Hi,

Cheers,
Hi mate,

I appreciate you getting back to me so promptly. I'd like to firstly mention that obviously i'm only giving my own opinion but i've had a number of my friends comment as well on the merchandise. My main problem is the design, I feel some of the problem is that maroon, blue and gold (whilst I love them) don't naturally go together well on a lot of clothing, they could definitely be more understated and sparingly used. We have the deep blues and that deep maroon often seen on the Fitzroy heritage strips that plain dressing people like myself would be happier to wear which could be incorporated into more items. I agree with others in that it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation, you maybe don't have the money generated from merchandise sales to improve the quality and design, but the only way to do that is to have money from their sales. We have 8 different kinds of adult beanie on sale, so it's seems to me like it's quantity over quality. I see a $90 adult onesie and teenage mutant ninja turtles themed kids Lions apparel and I just don't know what they were going for.

I'm far from an expert I just know that currently there are very few items that I would wear and that I don't believe i'm alone in this regard. I can't really talk to the quality as the only item i've purchased in the last couple of years has been a beanie, which although I selected a small could've fit 3 of my heads in it. Majestic have definitely improved some aspects of design but it would be good if items like game day shorts were sold and that holograms were never considered to be put on any clothing anywhere.

Thanks for listening to me, it means a lot, Dynawhite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys,

Positive or negative feedback always appreciated. Will be passed on and considered for future merch.

The decision to retail special guernseys, like the ANZAC one, is based on sales forecasts and the cost of production. The last thing we want is to end up with a stack of excess stock that doesn't sell.

We don't have the sales of some of the bigger clubs to offer as much as they do. Especially the winter ranges which don't sell too well up here.

The lengthy process from guernsey inception to production is often why they are released during the season, not earlier in the year. From a marketing point of view it makes more sense to release them in the relevant week. Understand it would be great to see them earlier, but most of the time we are rushing to get them ready in time for the game :grinning:

I agree on the points about the more understated merchandise.

These tops have been popular this season because of the simple look: https://www.lionsshop.com.au/brisbane-lions-2018-mens-training-leisure-tee.html

Cheers,

Sorry if this has already been mentioned elsewhere - if it has, I didn't find it - but why were the club songs not played at the Suns game? Did the PA go on the fritz?

And then when they turned it back on they lost the volume control. :shoutyoldman:

There is a quota of cumulative decibels that has to be met every match. They had some catching up to do.

PA tech issues can't be avoided so I have no issue with that, but I think the whole PA experience could be improved with just a little thought. Some observations from this weekends game:
- I personally like the use of ACDC as we build up to the bounce, but can't you at least time it so the song ends right on/close to start time? It just feels so disjointed simply cutting it off.
- The Lion roar as McStay is about to kick was a stinker...not sure if he even hears it on the ground but not ideal.
- In the final moments after our last goal, as the crowd was about to break into a Lions chant, the PA roars into action with some random raffle announcement. It was so loud the chant stopped, and by the time the announcement ended the ball had been bounced. You could feel it suck the energy out of the crowd.

They are small things, but sometimes small things can make a difference.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned elsewhere - if it has, I didn't find it - but why were the club songs not played at the Suns game? Did the PA go on the fritz?

Not entirely sure on the specifics but believe it was due to a fire alarm going off in a food outlet. It meant only safety messages were able to go over the PA. Definitely wasn't ideal or planned! Thankfully it came back on for the Ode and National Anthem.

And why does that Kiss Cam bit run straight into the final quarter? Sometimes it is still going as the umpire goes to bounce. Wouldn’t you want to focus people back on the footy at that point?
Depends on where they were getting kissed

Hi Lions_Insider,

This may be the sort of question that you can't answer, and if so, fair enough. Many of us Lions fans are used to feeling like the league's ugly stepchild. Geographically distant, no QLD commissioners, reduction of our one compensating advantage (academies), minimal interest from the AFL website and media, and AFL House seem quite happy for us to languish down the bottom. So I'm interested to know whether there are open lines of communication between AFL House and the Lions (and the Suns for that matter - QLD solidarity) about what is happening in QLD and how to get us as a club the support we need. More than just Gil's handshake tour every 3 or 4 years...

On a similar note, how much feedback do we as a club get on umpiring decisions? We've just seen two weeks in a row where umpiring was noted as distinctly against us by opposition supporters, yet we never hear anything about it. We had Charlie Cameron's goal against Richmond overturned to the surprise of all commentators, we had a very unusual first half in the Richmond game in general, and in the Gold Coast game, we had a 50m penalty against Berry for being hit in the face potentially costing us the game... I can appreciate that the AFL and AFL-controlled media won't accept questions about this sort of thing in the public sphere, and being in QLD, no one makes a big deal about it, but even if we aren't receiving feedback as supporters, I'd like to at least know that the club has a channel to talk to the AFL in private and ask questions about decisions and provide feedback to the umpiring department. Even if it doesn't provide me with information, for the really unusual ones, it'd be nice to know that there's some mechanism for the club to discuss with the AFL and the umpiring department in private.

Thanks - if there's anything there you can answer with general information, that'd be appreciated. Sorry if I seem bitter - it's not bitter against our club (who do a great job), but the AFL in general. It's been a tough decade...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back