Official Club Stuff Ask Lions_Insider!

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit left field and down priority list but...

..something I would like to see is when the games are finished, and the players run along high fiving the fans, they actually look at the fans, particularly kids, and smile at them. So often we see the players with their hand out running along, but not even looking at the fans or having eye contact..

It's not just our boys, have noticed this with majority of teams after games, but have often thought they could all interact better.

I'm not saying they have to stop and talk, just look like they care about their fans, share the moment type thing..

tenor.gif

Hi everyone,

Trust you're having a good arvo. We're on the hunt for a volunteer photographer who can commit to our home games for the remainder of this season, and potentially into next season.

The photographer will cover all of our off field activations (e.g. Corporate events, Lion Park activations, concourse activity) and will need to be available approx. 2.5 hours before bounce. They will also need to have their own camera and accessories.

If you're interested and think you'd fit the bill (or know of someone else), can you please email through your contact details and a few examples of your photographer skills to socialmedia@lions.com.au

Thanks!

Is this a position that will continue to be on a volunteer basis? I know someone who is very well suited to such a role, but is a professional photog and would probably only consider if it were to lead to something further.

My suggestion would be to lobby AFL360 (or other footy shows) to record a show once a year in Brisbane - we often suffer from not being from Melbourne on these shows and having players interviewed in person (as opposed to via satellite) in a far better dynamic. Possibly this could be done during one of the QClashes in association with the Suns to promote Qld footy.

..something I would like to see is when the games are finished, and the players run along high fiving the fans, they actually look at the fans, particularly kids, and smile at them. So often we see the players with their hand out running along, but not even looking at the fans or having eye contact..

It's not just our boys, have noticed this with majority of teams after games, but have often thought they could all interact better.

I'm not saying they have to stop and talk, just look like they care about their fans, share the moment type thing..
I totally support this.
My young kids were shattered the players didnt come over after the game.... its tough being a young lions fan in Melbourne.

I've only been to one game this year, when I was on holidays, and I took my sister and 4 year old nephew to the Port game.

Lions got walloped, and I mentioned it on here in the post game thread, the players looked gutted. I mean, some looked really, really shattered (Jarrod Berry). I can't imagine how they felt, knowing that they had to go and hand out Lions packs to some of the kids.

I imagine it is easy to interact with the fans after a win. No so much after a loss.

My one regret from that game was when Berry handed my nephew the Lions bag was that I did not tell him that we believe in him and to stick it out, we will get better.

So Lions_Insider on my behalf, could you let the playing group know that no matter how tough times get, that I believe in them and the journey Fagan and Noble are taking us on.

The future of all Queensland starts with the junior clubs - that's a given.

A problem that is very real is the lack of depth across the junior clubs. Typically there are 4 or 5 clubs that all the teenagers (and their parents) who are dreaming of being the next big thing move to so we have very unbalanced competitions. Teams get thrashed, then kids drop out.

Thre academy is great for the those that get into it, but it doesn't build depth in the bulk of kids playing each weekend and the competition is only as good as the weakest teams.

How do the lions contribute to building depth across the lesser talented kids?

Is there any standing regulations in regards to academies and the drafting of their products that the club sees as sacrosanct and would consider the removal or alteration of presently written rules as detrimental to the strengthening of the talent pool in Queensland?

Would the club be comfortable with any statements made by the club in this thread being used in response by the community to further proposed alterations by the AFL?

Could we please improve the quality of the content in the coaches wrap videos? I liked last years play deconstructions and the jed adcock miced up video this year but most of our coaches videos this year have been very bland and light on content. I understand if we cant go as deep as last year if it risks giving away lions trade secrets but surely there is a bit more we can add on to the current videos? Id like the coaches to highlight some of these little wins they keep mentioning. Perhaps highlight one or two of these little wins and show us some footage of the players doing these wins. Maybe highlight some lesser known players as well. We all know Stefan Borkcliff is the greatest portmanteaued midfield combination ever \ but what little win did Bastinac/Lester/Gardiner/Matheison/etc achieve this week? Itd be interesting to see some of what the coaches see so we can look for that in our own viewings of the game.

As a member who lives in adelaide I would love to see the members forums( hosted by coach, captain and hof) streamed or posted later on the website. Love seeing the " inside coaches" and post " recruitment strategy" videos. Always good to get a better insight into the club, would be fantastic to see a multi part doco type videos of the recruiting process at the start of the season, taking you through the insights and meetings of recruiters and ending in draft night posted after the event, would be great content to wet the appetite for the coming season

Edit: can't remember which flag but I remember a camera in the brisbane coaches box captured leighs directions, reactions and communications which was fantastic to watch. Something like this would be great. However I understand resources only go so far

Thanks for your time

Last edited:
Some of the attendees at last year's draft function reported that the club believed it wasn't forced to use a pick that had been traded in in the previous year to match academy bidding, which could be relevant this year with Port's first round pick. However when some of the posters on here asked that question of some of the AFL journos who cover the draft they were told Port's pick would not be exempt.

If an academy prospect is bid on that we want to match and Port's pick is our next pick, must we use it? I.e. is the club under the same impression as last year or has the AFL clarified/refined the rule covering this scenario?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice to see the Lions_Insider account reactivated. Nice work you guys.

I have a question around player interaction with the media, the public etc when it comes to contract time. Young Josh took an absolute pounding until he re-signed by the general lions public due to past events at the club that were no fault of his own, and in no way was that helped by the uninformed and almost flippant way that the media drove his face into the ground, turned up unannounced at his family home in Seymour, etc.

Are the players coached in-house on how not to feed too much usable (misinterpretable) material to the media? Like specific coaching and mentoring around key phrases that you shouldn't say, etc? Hard in Josh's case when they hound him across 2000kms of course.

Rule number 1 for the young guys should really be 'don't read Facebook comments' followed closely by 'don't read BigFooty' too. :)

Thanks for having us back again! Yes, our players are briefed by our media team often and we ask that all media requests go through the club however, there are times when these can get out of our control. It sometimes can take a few years of experience with the media for our players to know best how to respond to the media in each different circumstance.

Some of our players do read comments on social media which is unfortunately out of our control.

When a player recommits to the club I think it would be a great idea to have that on the banner for the week just to show how much the club and supporters appreciate their commitment. Have the club thought of doing this?

Interesting comparing us to another outpost team.A mate went to a Melbourne Storm game.The players stayed around for 30 minutes signing autographs and talking to fans after the match finished.Clearly wouldn't work in the AFL as singing the song is way more important.

What's the story behind the sudden death/departure of Brion the Lion?

Who thought of the new player intros at the start of each home game? They're fun.

Good morning! The Club made the decision to revert back to the traditional banner after a request from the players and coaches early in the season. Now the players have consistency with their run through each game and enjoy seeing the new banner message each week. We’ve also got a rejuvenated Cheer Squad who have been wonderful in making these banners each week - Head of Football David Noble is also a regular on Wednesday nights to help with the banner :)

Player intros are thanks to our match day team - I'll pass the feedback on.

Could we please improve the quality of the content in the coaches wrap videos? I liked last years play deconstructions and the jed adcock miced up video this year but most of our coaches videos this year have been very bland and light on content. I understand if we cant go as deep as last year if it risks giving away lions trade secrets but surely there is a bit more we can add on to the current videos? Id like the coaches to highlight some of these little wins they keep mentioning. Perhaps highlight one or two of these little wins and show us some footage of the players doing these wins. Maybe highlight some lesser known players as well. We all know Stefan Borkcliff is the greatest portmanteaued midfield combination ever \ but what little win did Bastinac/Lester/Gardiner/Matheison/etc achieve this week? Itd be interesting to see some of what the coaches see so we can look for that in our own viewings of the game.

Love the ideas here! Yes, our Coaches Wrap videos were much more detailed last year however, they probably gave away too much info at times which isn't what we want... We think the Coaches Wrap is a great way for an assistant coach to run through their key takings from the game - in addition to Chris Fagan's post-match press conference. We're looking to ask a few new questions going forward so can definitely ask about the little wins, other players efforts etc that you mentioned.

I've only been to one game this year, when I was on holidays, and I took my sister and 4 year old nephew to the Port game.

Lions got walloped, and I mentioned it on here in the post game thread, the players looked gutted. I mean, some looked really, really shattered (Jarrod Berry). I can't imagine how they felt, knowing that they had to go and hand out Lions packs to some of the kids.

I imagine it is easy to interact with the fans after a win. No so much after a loss.

My one regret from that game was when Berry handed my nephew the Lions bag was that I did not tell him that we believe in him and to stick it out, we will get better.

So Lions_Insider on my behalf, could you let the playing group know that no matter how tough times get, that I believe in them and the journey Fagan and Noble are taking us on.

Thanks for coming out to support us! Although we're improving as a team and the players can see where we're headed, it's still never easy to take the loss. We'll pass the message on to the coaching staff and players (including Jarrod), they will definitely appreciate the support and backing. Thanks again

Is this a position that will continue to be on a volunteer basis? I know someone who is very well suited to such a role, but is a professional photog and would probably only consider if it were to lead to something further.

It is a volunteer role as we don't have the budget for this, we've had some great volunteers in the role for a decade now. We'd love to hear more about them if they're keen :)

I'd like to know details about what the club offers in terms of leadership development programs for players. There is amazing programs around the world, and I wash shocked a few years ago to hear Rockliff raving about sitting next to Lewis on a plane and that being amazing for his leadership development. Strikes me that it would be worth sending the players on an internationally acclaimed leadership development program?

I don't understand why the club doesn't offer cheaper tickets in order to get more people in? Surely there's a cost/benefit analysis here where even having people paying $0 is better than an empty seat?

Free tickets for international students would be a good idea. If not always, just an multicultural round?

Does the club have a sports psychologist working with (particularly) Tom Bell, Frost, and others whose promise is not translating to performance?

A half time or before bounce game of "force em backs" or touch AFL. $10 to enter: randomly assigned to a team. Or just random ticket numbers? 20 people on each team. Winning team all get something? Don't wanna take over for the Auskick obviously.

The Mic'd up coaching things are 1000x better than the rhetoric of the coach's report.

Locker talk is good.

"Day in the life of..." would be less obtrusive than a week...

This is definitely a priority and I can understand what you're saying. I'll have a chat to footy and give them a little reminder :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back